Forums

Topic: Is the Switch's Second Year a Disappointment for you?

Posts 181 to 200 of 206

Anorax

iLikeUrAttitude wrote:

But what do you guys think of the Switchs second year? Are you satisfied so far or a little underwhelmed?

I guess it depends what games you are interested in. For me 2018 was far stronger than 2017 (and 2017 had some amazing titles). In 2018 i've had Octopath, Yonder, Battle Chasers, South Park TFBW, Paladins, Darkest Dungeon, The Banner Saga 3, and Picross S2. Later this year I am looking forward to My Time At Portia and Re:Legend and a number of other titles I have on my wishlist.

I have more titles than I have time to play at the moment (29 now on my SD card). The Switch has been an amazing little machine.

Windows 10 gaming desktop | Nintendo Switch

FaeKnight

We (well most of us) aren't attacking you @stockholmSyndrom. We are attacking your nonsensical arguments. You keep making claims which are flat out not true. Claims such as the Switch selling fewer units this year then last year. The Christmas sales numbers haven't come in yet, but so far the Switch is doing just as well as it did last year.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

darkfenrir

To join in on this 'ganging' up, I do want to say that I feel overwhelmed with the amount of titles I have to buy! Heck, I have to redo my budget plan just so I can buy everything I want

darkfenrir

FaeKnight

Me being called a "nintendo fanboy" honestly makes me laugh. I owned an NES back in the 90's, then a SNES. But then again, who didn't have those systems? But my 3rd generation console of choice was the Playstation, even though I did get an N64. I never had more then 5 games on the N64. While Zelda OoT amazed me, Majora's Mask was a let down. Star Wars Pod Racing was great fun. But Superman 64 was horribly bad and Quest 64 was boring. Thus I stopped buying N64 games and ended up selling the system to a local video game store. My 4th generation console of choice was the Playstation 2. Although I did buy a gamecube, that was only within the last couple of years. And I have dang few games for it due to most of the games locally available being the worst ones available.

I didn't buy a Wii, although my brother got one and I thought Wii Sports was fun. The Wii just didn't have a games library that appealed to me. Instead I moved on to the Xbox 360. And I barely even noticed the launch of the Wii U. As for hand held consoles, I had a Gameboy for a while in the late 80's and early 90's. But only a handful of games. I got a Gameboy Advance Micro back around 2000ish, I think. But my game library for it is pretty limited too, only four game carts, 6 games total (2 carts have two games on them).

It's only very recently that I've gotten into hand held gaming again. I've now got a Nintendo 3DS and a Playstation Vita with a bunch of games on both of them. But I didn't get the 3DS until last November. Even then, I got it because I was impatient to play Monster Hunter World on the XB1, so bought a 3DS and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

I am far from a Nintendo Fanboy. The existence of Mario and Zelda games doesn't make me salivate and think "I need that system and game". Oh sure, I consider the games fun. And I did want to play Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey. But that's not why I bought my switch. I bought my switch because the idea of a home console that's also a portable console is interesting. I bought it because so many highly critical reviewers were saying good things about the Switch.

The question this thread asks is "Is the game selection released in 2018 for the Switch a disappointment to you". And the answer people give depends on what they are looking for or expecting. People who only are looking for the big name first party exclusives have mostly said "yes". People who look beyond the flagship titles have had mixed views.

But @stockholmSyndrom, none of us are being fanboys about it. Even those of us who find the year's releases to be good are more then willing to point out things we don't like. And those who are disappointed with the release are generally acknowledging that they have limited criteria, and that they expect next year to be a better one for games they're interested in.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Tibob

@stockholmSyndrom
Why would indie games and ports be a bad thing ?
More and more people don't own a TV. So the Switch is the first occasion for folks like my self to play :

  • Doom, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, LA Noire, Rocket League...
  • anything that was on WiiU

Indies give me more pleasure than AAAs most of the time. Isaac, Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, World of Goo, Celeste... those games might not be for you, but don't tell me they're "unacceptable", this is just silly.

Tibob

TuVictus

I remember when I used to get worked up over forum replies. I'm glad that part of me is over now, because it was stressful for no reason whatsoever.

TuVictus

gcunit

The last couple of pages got so embarrassing that I engaged gamer rage mode and set my machine gun to 'delete'.

I don't like to waste my time doing that, but I just can't stand to see people calling someone a troll and then endlessly feeding the alleged troll.

First rule of Internet forums: Don't feed the trolls.

PS. Our moderating is generally not up for open discussion, as per the Community Rules. Let's move on or we'll consider locking the thread. Thanks.

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

SwitchForce

I for one think NIN NSW is doing a fine job of sales and pushing their hardware out. What others try to downplay is how Successful the NSW has become and eshop game developers of some that have gone Physical only goes to show the fan base is willing to pay if you can put out a good physical game they will come. That's the camp I am in. I bought a few eShop only to find out they are Physical and was like what the.... So now I am cautious about eShop - the reason some eShop became Physical is Sales and Fan Base request so there are two sides to this. I am also a Game Collector so I don't get to play all the games but those with extra I try to load it up. Back to topic, My own gut take is NSW was a smash success and no other companies that I know have been able to do something like this from Wii to WiiU(cough) now NSW. And taking the risk of going portable to Dock no other system has the will or thinking outside of the box to do that. And now with sales on a constant surging bases those other system can only say we have AAA titles but I say that only goes so far. A PC with 1080Ti can best those consoles any day - so their own saying there's is better then NSW is busted with a uber Gaming Rig PC. So if they want to compete then they forgot the PC can outbest them already. The NSW still will keep going strong the NSW consoles still sell out when they get restocked. And considering they are coming out with SSB previous Amiibo expect consoles to get short inventory stocks again. The NSW is a piece of Innovation that will go into History as ReBirth of NIN as a force to be meet with. That's how I see it now. My .02.

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

Agriculture

Tibob wrote:

@stockholmSyndrom
Why would indie games and ports be a bad thing ?
More and more people don't own a TV. So the Switch is the first occasion for folks like my self to play :

  • Doom, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, LA Noire, Rocket League...
  • anything that was on WiiU

Indies give me more pleasure than AAAs most of the time. Isaac, Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, World of Goo, Celeste... those games might not be for you, but don't tell me they're "unacceptable", this is just silly.

One of the better business decisions Nintendo has made was to loosen up what is allowed on the e-shop. People love to buy cheap games at huge discounts, that's how both steam and the psn-store became such a success. I think the reason people oppose games being release that they don't like is because they see it as a zero sum game. They think that if we get too many indies that comes at the expense of AAA-games, but in reality the profits from indie games make the industry grow.

Agriculture

ThatNyteDaez

Last year gave me Splatoon 2, Disgaea 5, Bayonetta 1 & 2 (I didn't get either but it's still a personal favourite from Wii U days) and a few nice indies.

This year, however, Octopath Traveller, Dragonball Fighter Z (I havent got it but its still awesome) a few choice indies and the icing on the cake being Smash Bros Ultimate and Pokemon Lets Go. For me personally, this year tops the previous just because of Smash and Pokemon combined. And I haven't even mentioned Arena of Valor, Dragon Marked for Death or even a few others coming before this year's end.

For me, it's no contest, really. I love what's coming and will be very happy come December.

Never take anything I say seriously. S'all you buddy. ;)
Mainly play on my Switch but I have 3DS, Wii U and PS4 as well.
Fave game series include: Pokemon, Smash Bros, Splatoon, Disgaea, Bayonetta, Dragons Dogma, Phantasy Star & Arena of Valor.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1089-6841-7799 | 3DS Friend Code: 5455-9887-9271 | My Nintendo: ThatNyteDaez | Nintendo Network ID: Rhydas | Twitter:

Anorax

ThatNyteDaez wrote:

For me, it's no contest, really. I love what's coming and will be very happy come December.

Absolutely. The Switch has been an amazing device and I am glad I bought one. I will definitely be buying the Switch MkII when it is released. It so excellent that I am able to play full titles on an ultra-portable touch screen device that I would normally play on my Windows PC.

Windows 10 gaming desktop | Nintendo Switch

ieatdragonz

Disappointment? No way.

Not as engaging as the first year? Maybe. It would be a definitely if Smash wasn't in December. However, I have already bought Bayonetta 1 and Sonic Mania Plus (almost beat), Bayo 2 Mario Rabbids DLC South Park and Octopath Traveler (not even started), Kirby Star Allies Celeste and Steam World Dig 2 (beaten), and have unfortunately purchased Mario Tennis Aces.

As you can see, I have not played many of the games. Why is that?

Because last year is still kicking my ass. Sure, I have finished both Mario and Zelda and the other occasional game. However, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is still there... watching me. It is halfway through year 2 and I still haven't finished my first serving.

It's been such a good console thus far, I decided to take a mini break from it. I have needed to finish Metroid Prime 2&3 for the longest time and I plan to do so. Its almost addicting the fact I can take my games to my bed (except for Xenoblade and its muddiness, which may be the reason I haven't finished it yet).

I am physically tearing myself away from the console. No matter how many games I can buy, that says something in of itself.

People might think I'm childish for my picture, and I am.
Favorite games: Super Mario Odyssey, Super Metroid, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Sonic Generations
If you like Kirby, then you are a person I can trust.

Mordridakon

I was going to create a thread on this, but I'll refrain from doing so as it would be this thread all over again.

According to the Nintendo shop, there are 1001 games currently out for switch! That's awesome ^-^/

Granted most of these titles are cheap tiny indies, but hey, the argument that the Switch has failed is more or less dead from my perspective.
Granted, there are not a lot of AAA games(double digits here) but The Nintendo switch has really become the Indie Game Console.
The first year the switch it made a splash. This year, its really coming into its own, differentiating itself from the competition, focusing on indie games, i mean we've had two jam packed Nindies showcases in less than a week.
So no, I don't think the second year is worse than the first.

Edited on by Mordridakon

Mordridakon

iLikeUrAttitude

@Mordridakon Your comment is confusing. First you say that most of the games on Switch are indie games that no on cares about then you say the Switch is the Indie Game Console.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Mordridakon

@iLikeUrAttitude I knew I should have deleted the part about nobody caring(its just my opinion, who knows maybe those tiny cheap indies sell like hotcakes).
Hows my comment now?

Mordridakon

JasmineDragon

ThatNyteDaez wrote:

Last year gave me Splatoon 2, Disgaea 5, Bayonetta 1 & 2 (I didn't get either but it's still a personal favourite from Wii U days) and a few nice indies.

I don't usually nitpick these things, but Bayo 1 and 2 actually came out this year, releasing on Feb. 16, 2018. Just another one of the things that made this year so good for Switch.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

gcunit

JasmineDragon wrote:

I don't usually nitpick these things, but Bayo 1 and 2 actually came out this year, releasing on Feb. 16, 2018. Just another one of the things that made this year so good for Switch.

I don't normally nitpick either, but Feb. 16 2018 is inside Switch's first year

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

FaeKnight

Not in terms of business. It's 1st quarter of 2018 sales.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

gcunit

Doesn't matter if you think we're talking business, calendar, financial, fiscal, tax, academic, Chinese, or cabbages. Given that a year is 365(.25) days and that Switch came into being as a consumer product on 3rd March 2017, Switch's first year = 3rd March 2017 to 2nd March 2018. Hence the host of articles that were published on the Web on and around 03/03/2018 looking back at Switch's first year.

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic