Forums

Topic: Holiday2020: ZELDA VS PS5 & XBOX

Posts 1 to 12 of 12

NinChocolate

Assuming the game makes that target (which hasn’t been confirmed) do you think BotW 2 gives Nintendo a strong enough marketing voice in a holiday schedule that includes it’s competitor’s new consoles, to grab a reasonable amount of attention in the media/market?

I think Zelda is the Nintendo franchise best qualified to put against the messaging of MS and Sony and the usual demographic their initial marketing targets (young men 18-30).

NinChocolate

Magician

A game release, even if it's a GotY contender, doesn't come close to grabbing the same degree of attention as a hardware launch. Xbox Anaconda and PS5 will dominate the 2020 holiday season. If I were Nintendo, I would hold BotW 2 until a few months after those consoles enter the market. Retailers will be out of stock for those new consoles and platform agnostic gamers (like myself) will be looking for something new to play.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NinChocolate

No doubt the season will be big for Sony and MS but it’s also Nintendo’s biggest earnings quarter nonetheless, so they’ll have to have something out there. I’m thinking Zelda will speak to the demographic that will be bombarded by the competition. If I were Nintendo I’d run with the big boys, not try to pitch to some completely different audience with a colorful game

NinChocolate

Dezzy

Depends on how good the next Zelda is, and how good those consoles are (including their launch lineups).

We know the Xbox will be launching with Halo Infinite, so that will probably get a fair bit of attention. No idea what the PS5 will have. Maybe Horizon 2.

If this Zelda is as good as BotW though, it could certainly grab a fair amount of attention. Zelda is one of the few Nintendo games that does tend to grab the attention of most of the gaming audience, whereas other Nintendo series are more limited to their own fanbase.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Grumblevolcano

I'd guess Nintendo lays low during Holiday 2020 and then when people have gotten over the excitement of a new console and realize there's a next gen game drought then Nintendo goes all out with a lineup that rivals 2017 in 2021 and brings people back to Switch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NinChocolate

@Grumblevolcano you think Nintendo might slash their marketing budget and just quietly email its subscribers about Pikmin 4 during the holidays? Now that’s lying low, and it’s possible, but Nintendo could have its own newer hardware revisions to get out the door too and will need to not let Sony and MS just suck all the oxygen out of the industry as they please

NinChocolate

kkslider5552000

1. I still think Mario Odyssey 2 will come out in 2020 instead of BOTW2.
2. 3DS was not dramatically hurt by the last big console launches, IIRC. I don't know why the Switch would have to worry...too much (for that matter, PS4 was at its peak of success when the Switch came out).

I think if Nintendo markets well, has the right game/s and maybe does a price cut, it won't matter.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Anti-Matter

My opinion.
I'm not really interested with BOTW 2 since my BOTW still neglected for 2 years so BOTW 2 will not be my Holiday 2020 game choice. Other Switch games will be my Holiday 2020 games.

About XBOX Scarlett....
If XBOX Scarlett can play ALL XBOX + XBOX 360 + XBOX ONE games physically regardless of its region + Support Kinect + Support All XBOX controller + No need complicated Online registration before playing + Simple U/I design like PS4 / Switch + Have some strong potential kiddie games for starter release, i might consider to buy it. Otherwise, i will consider Xbox 360.

About PS5....
I just need some strong potential kiddie games like Portal Knights / Dragon Quest Builders 2 or The Sims 5 (if it does exist) or interesting PS4 only indie games in physical and i can mix them with my current PS4 games. Otherwise, i will keep my PS4 Slim.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

NinChocolate

Mario Odyssey 2 tease in January? Interesting... And you never know with Nintendo, they may kick out BotW 2 at the start of the quarter and then Mario Odyssey at the end which would really demand attention, really sandwiching a pair of unnecessarily ray-traced shooty games from Sony and MS

NinChocolate

Grumblevolcano

@NinChocolate Not that low, more like 2018 if Smash Ultimate wasn't there. I was imagining something like Pikmin 4 for September, Super Mario Party 2 for October, Johto Let's Go games for November and Xenoblade X port for December.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

kkslider5552000 wrote:

1. I still think Mario Odyssey 2 will come out in 2020 instead of BOTW2.

Yeah I was expecting we'd get that first, given that they didn't bother with any real DLC for it.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

• Page 1 of 1

Sorry, this topic has been locked.