Forums

Topic: Forbes calls out GameFreak incompetence

Posts 41 to 60 of 88

Snatcher

@symmy And you need to stop defending bad journalism.

And yes they do say stuff like this, all the time, "and I think fans were right to be disappointed when the OLED model was revealed and it didn’t contain even a moderate power boost after half a decade on the market" that was taken straight from the article, in fact, he complains about It not being as powerful, as if that would have fixed Jack.

The games could have looked better if gamefreak wanted to, but they didn't. And you find it funny you say fanboys when Most pokemon fanboys, bash they game to death sooo.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

kkslider5552000

I think new Pokemon usually looks very mid, which makes me hate bad complaints about it MORE than if I was actively enthused with modern Pokemon.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

symmy

@Snatcher How would the Switch being more powerful not fix how bad the game looks? Game Freak would have more resources to tap into, and would be able to make the world look like it's not completely empty. I don't see how criticizing the graphics is "bad journalism" and you don't seem to either.

I also don't see how "fanboys" "bashing" the game is bad. They just want more care/effort put in for their fav. franchise.

Edited on by symmy

symmy

Snatcher

@symmy Because Pokemon legends isn't even pushing the switch's limits in the first place, Even if we got a stronger switch, its up to game freak to use it.

Its not them criticizing it thats bad, its how there going it, Faulting the current hardware for why the game looks bad, Its a little dumb saying game like BOTW and mario Ody have amazing graphics! Again legends is not even pushing the limits of the switch to begin with, and if they really wanted to, this game could look stunning.

Its not bad that fanboy's bash the game, put you where saying they where defending bad graphics, when most fanboys are not, Maybe I miss understood.

Look I'm not trying to say the graphics are like stunning, But its not as bad as people are making it out to be, I think the game could use polish in a few areas but other then that, I think it looks great.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Atomic77

Pokemon is Pokemon no matter how it looks or plays. Legends of Arceus will be awesome sauce.

Atomic77
Nintendo Switch Lite Gamer

VoidofLight

I hate it when people go "Oh, you're defending a game, or you even remotely like it? Well you're a fanboy!". I didn't know that I was a fanboy, since I never once blindly just accepted a pokemon game, and I in-fact almost ended up quitting the series once because of a game that was so awful I barely could even allow myself to continue playing it. I've worried about Legends since the first trailer, even though I find the graphics alright for a game like this. Just because I'm not outraged, or I don't think the graphics are abhorrent, or just because I don't think the switch needs a replacement because Legends isn't optimized well, doesn't mean I'm a fanboy who will just sit there and take anything the company gives to me. It just means I either know better, or I never really gave a crap about what a game looks like, as long as it isn't visual vomit.

Currently Playing: SoulCalibur VI, Professor Layton and the curious village, SMT V.

Snatcher

@VoidofLight Remember the fact of the day. Like a pokemon game, your a Fanboy that will never (Not true) point out any mistakes, an therefore your opinion is invalid! (:

But hey, I to just learn'd I was a fanboy!

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Pizzamorg

I am one of the biggest supporters of criticism here, I think generally on this forum especially, people tend to lean more into finding the positives in things, rather than being as critical as they should be. And I do generally agree that after that 13 minute deep dive thing, there is a lot to be concerned about here.

However, my problem and almost with Pokemon specifically, are those vocal people in 'the community' saying the players "deserve more", who have been playing every release since the mid 90s... like, I am sorry, but you aren't the target audience for this game anymore. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy the game, it doesn't mean you can't ask for more and it doesn't mean you can't be critical of things the games get wrong. But so often the loudest criticism I see is not for objective problems with the games, it is that this 30 something has conjured this elaborate Pokemon game in their head, tailored exactly to them, then set their expectations around this imaginary game which will probably never exist and then get mad when the game that comes out isn't the game they made up. It is just complete cringe.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Wrestling Empire. Mario Party Superstars. Monster Hunter Rise and Generations Ultimate. Dicey Dungeons. RingFit Adventure. Loop Hero. Skyward Sword HD.

chipia

Pizzamorg wrote:

However, my problem and almost with Pokemon specifically, are those vocal people in 'the community' saying the players "deserve more", who have been playing every release since the mid 90s... like, I am sorry, but you aren't the target audience for this game anymore.

Obviously they aren't the target audience, but the thing is that they clearly SHOULD be the target audience. A large part of the player base, if not the majority, are adults at this point.

In fact 77% of Pokemon GO players are over 18 (I don't have demographics for other Pokemon games unfortunately, but at least according to online polls they are also mostly adults, although they may be somewhat biased).

It's fair to criticize the ignorance for such a huge part of the audience.

Edited on by chipia

chipia

Pizzamorg

@chipia ??? Are you really using Pokémon Go to "prove" these games should be made for 30 year old adults ???

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Wrestling Empire. Mario Party Superstars. Monster Hunter Rise and Generations Ultimate. Dicey Dungeons. RingFit Adventure. Loop Hero. Skyward Sword HD.

gcunit

chipia wrote:

Obviously they aren't the target audience, but the thing is that they clearly SHOULD be the target audience. A large part of the player base, if not the majority, are adults at this point.

In fact 77% of Pokemon GO players are over 18 (I don't have demographics for other Pokemon games unfortunately, but at least according to online polls they are also mostly adults, although they may be somewhat biased).

It's fair to criticize the ignorance for such a huge part of the audience.

Man-baby does what man-baby does when no get what man-baby wants.

It's cool to say 'Oh boy I loved/love Pokémon so hard, I wish GameFreak would make a game for the adult Pokémon crowd, there's so much potential there'.

It's not cool to criticize/bash/trash someone for not doing what you want them to do when they are under absolutely no obligation to give a flying **** what you want. It's their IP and they are 100% within their rights to do what they want with it, not what you want 🧑‍🍼

There's a lot of people out there going to be enjoying Pokémon Legends for what it is in a couple of weeks, it's just a bit of a bummer for some that there's so many out there who want to shout over everyone to make sure we know that they're not getting what they want.

🧑‍🍼🤭

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg Wile I i'm Defending the game a lot I will admen't, That doesn't mean Its not doing things wrong, I mean look how the pokemon move in the fights, Its like a mouse picked them out and scrolled them to the pokemon.

The towns do look a little more empty then I would like as well.

@chipia Pokemon go actually proves who this series is for tho.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

chipia

gcunit wrote:

It's not cool to criticize/bash/trash someone for not doing what you want them to do when they are under absolutely no obligation to give a flying **** what you want. It's their IP and they are 100% within their rights to do what they want with it, not what you want 🧑‍🍼

According to this logic Video Game Journalism has no right to exist, since it's in large part about criticizing games and pointing out their flaws, instead of just accepting them as what it is.

chipia

Pizzamorg

chipia wrote:

gcunit wrote:

It's not cool to criticize/bash/trash someone for not doing what you want them to do when they are under absolutely no obligation to give a flying **** what you want. It's their IP and they are 100% within their rights to do what they want with it, not what you want 🧑‍🍼

According to this logic Video Game Journalism has no right to exist, since it's in large part about criticizing games and pointing out their flaws, instead of just accepting them as what it is.

But that is the distinction I am trying to make here.

Bad frame rate is an objective criticism, for example. A games journalist breaking down the facts/data of the technical performance of a game is a useful article, to allow a consumer to make an informed decision.

But "game journo has made up a game in their head, then cries when that isn't the game they get" isn't even journalism, it's barely even a person's blog.

That is why I am so baffled that people listen to Paul Tassi, as far as I know he has no actual history with videogames other than playing like 16 hours a day of Destiny, he just writes a completely opinion centred blog (with no facts, objective criticisms or broken news - basically just forum posts labelled as "articles") but gets paid for it and gets to call himself a journalist.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Wrestling Empire. Mario Party Superstars. Monster Hunter Rise and Generations Ultimate. Dicey Dungeons. RingFit Adventure. Loop Hero. Skyward Sword HD.

Snatcher

Pizzamorg wrote:

chipia wrote:

gcunit wrote:

It's not cool to criticize/bash/trash someone for not doing what you want them to do when they are under absolutely no obligation to give a flying **** what you want. It's their IP and they are 100% within their rights to do what they want with it, not what you want 🧑‍🍼

According to this logic Video Game Journalism has no right to exist, since it's in large part about criticizing games and pointing out their flaws, instead of just accepting them as what it is.

But that is the distinction I am trying to make here.

Bad frame rate is an objective criticism, for example. A games journalist breaking down the facts/data of the technical performance of a game is a useful article, to allow a consumer to make an informed decision.

But "game journo has made up a game in their head, then cries when that isn't the game they get" isn't even journalism, it's barely even a person's blog.

That is why I am so baffled that people listen to Paul Tassi, as far as I know he has no actual history with videogames other than playing like 16 hours a day of Destiny, he just writes a completely opinion centred blog (with no facts, objective criticisms or broken news - basically just forum posts labelled as "articles") but gets paid for it and gets to call himself a journalist.

This.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

gcunit

chipia wrote:

According to this logic Video Game Journalism has no right to exist, since it's in large part about criticizing games and pointing out their flaws, instead of just accepting them as what it is.

Even if we were agreed on a large part of gaming journalism being criticizing games (which we're not agreed on - there's a difference between criticism and critique that's involved here), a large part does not equal all, so to render all gaming journalism extinct would be a tad rash and disproportionate.

What we do too often see in gaming journalism, which I will agree on, is journalists tailoring their articles towards the dumb masses who are incapable of much nuanced or balanced thought about... anything. That is the state of the world currently, hitting the lowest common denominator, and is the ideal context for the likes Trump and Johnson rising to leadership positions in their respective 'states'.

But that is the type of journalism that I avoid, because it's **** and destructive and negative and brings no enjoyment to the world, only pathetic wallowing.

Thankfully, that is not all journalism, and there still are occasionally articles and videos out there that celebrate video games for the joy and discovery they bring. Check out Zion's work at Nintendo Life. I've by no means watched all his videos, but I've seen him in quite a few, and I can't think of him ever taking a negative angle on something. And it's not cos he's blinkered, or a shill, or anything like that, it's because he loves gaming and appreciates that there's more enjoyment in life from celebrating the good than bashing the slightly-less-than-perfect.

To me, the current campaign against the graphics in Pokémon Legends is akin to South Park's Mr. Mackey standing in front of class and saying "Pokémon Legends graphics are bad. You shouldn't play Pokémon Legends. If you play Pokémon Legends, you're bad, because Pokémon Legends graphics are bad, mmkay".

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Anti-Matter

@gcunit
I wonder if Forbes will eat their words to see Legend of Arceus get some good feedbacks after the game released.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

chipia

gcunit wrote:

But that is the type of journalism that I avoid, because it's **** and destructive and negative and brings no enjoyment to the world, only pathetic wallowing.

I actually think that well-thought-out criticism can give Developers an idea how to improve their games to make them more enjoyable for players. If they consider the criticism and implement it in their future games (or patches/updates) then these Reviews may in the end actually have a positive effect and lead to more enjoyment.

Edited on by chipia

chipia

Pokester99

@Anti-Matter Why would they eat their words? It's not like the graphics are going to change. We already know this game will sell millions because "Pokeman".

Pokester99

gcunit

chipia wrote:

I actually think that well-thought-out criticism can give Developers an idea how to improve their games to make them more enjoyable for players. If they consider the criticism and implement it in their future games (or patches/updates) then these Reviews may in the end actually have a positive effect and lead to more enjoyment.

This kinda implies that the developers are blind and need telling by random critics that their graphical work needs improving. I'm fairly sure GameFreak know exactly how their game performs and compares graphically and will have their reasons for publishing the game as it is. Man-baby journalists are just hoping that if they shout loud enough then enough dumb masses start chanting 'Pokémon Legends graphics are bad mmkay' that it impacts the success of the game and gets them what they want. Good luck to them, but I think it's time they took a nap.

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic