Forums

Topic: Am I the only one worried about post-2020 Nintendo?

Posts 81 to 100 of 121

jump

BlueOcean wrote:

There's a lot of potential but the dialogue is silly and everything feels repetitive and the battle mechanics are trial and error and level up if necessary. Other RPGs aren't so limited.

That sounds like most JRPGs

I hear ya but Pokémon is always one step forwards and two steps back franchise. Tbh I felt Sun and Moon did a great job of advancing the gameplay on the adventure side even if they did remove the gym battles. It's gotten to the point anything they add in the name of advancement I suspect will have other stupid implications.

At the end of the day my focus is on the meta game of Pokémon where I found the battle mechanics were solid until the last few gens have been mucked up too much with silly gimmicks like Dynamax. Sword and Shield was the first Pokémon game I sold on as with the cut pokes (I sold it before their patched return) and the over use of gimmicks I lost interest in it. Now if they split the series into two, one for the hardcore Pokémon battles with a full roster (something like Stadium) and the other for the adventure story (like Lets Go) I'd be very happy.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Banjo-

@jump I don't know, I prefer other RPGs to be honest 😁. They had a great chance with Sword and Shield and they disappointed you and many more people.

Banjo-

Anti-Matter

@jump
I honestly think Pokemon with ATB system like FF X-2 was sounds good to me.
The Battle will be faster and dynamic because every skills have different ATB length. It still fells like Turn Based style but faster.

Anti-Matter

jump

Anti-Matter wrote:

@jump
I honestly think Pokemon with ATB system like FF X-2 was sounds good to me.
The Battle will be faster and dynamic because every skills have different ATB length. It still fells like Turn Based style but faster.

That's a terrible idea, ATB doesn't really work well with one on one battles which is what Pokémon is primarily about. It would render slower Pokémon absolutely useless and the game would be broken with the use of moves like Dragon Dance. It takes away the strategy of the game completely in favour of simple who's faster and stronger or it would need a complete overhaul.

Just play Mystery Dungeon for actiony gameplay instead.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

sixrings

I don't think the worry is that Nintendo is going to disappear but more that it will become less relevant. With all the third party games announced this year there is no reason to fear the switch becoming a first party exclusive machine.

sixrings

redd214

I wouldn't say I worried but would love to know something. As of right now there isnt a single Switch game I plan on buying the rest of the year besides Paper Mario and beyond that BOTW2. Hopefully we get some info soon about the future.

redd214

Magician

Between today and TBD 2021 there are over two-hundred games already announced as being in development for the Switch. By comparison, the N64 had fewer than 400 games across its entire six year lifespan. So...what's the problem here?

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

sixrings

There was 51 first party N64 games. That's pretty good for a system that wasn't exactly on fire. The switch on the other hand is on fire yet the game droughts are plenty especially when considering there are a number of ports on the system. That concerns me.

sixrings

Magician

@sixrings

Shovelware? I suppose that opinion isn't wrong considering I've seen upwards of thirty games released on eShop in less than a week in the past. But I think perhaps your bar for what qualifies as worth playing might be too high.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

sixrings

@Magician it's true. I'm 40. Life's short. I don't time away from my family to play unless it's damn good.

sixrings

SKTTR

@sixrings: I hope you meant 51 N64 games published by Nintendo, because no way there were 51 first party N64 games.
Around 10 were made by Rareware and another 10 were made by Hudson Soft.
Stuff like Mischief Makers and Sin And Punishment were made by Treasure,
other games like Tetrisphere and The New Tetris were developed by H20 Entertainment,
Pilotwings 64 and F1 World Grand Prix I & II were by Paradigm Entertainment,
Excitebike 64 and NBA Courtside were made by Left Field Productions,
the three Cruis'n games were made by Midway I think.

Even bigger titles like Paper Mario were made by a second party: Intelligent Systems,
Super Smash Bros., Pokémon Snap, and Kirby 64 were by another second party: HAL.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Magician

@sixrings

I can understand and appreciate that. Limited availability of time, and you want the best experiences for the time you have. The problem is, most of the fresh gaming ideas are happening in the indie and AA development space. Where as with AAA gaming...what do you get? Sequels, new franchises using the same old tropes, and $60 roster updates.

You're depriving yourself of some unique experiences if you only play the best of the best.

sixrings

@SKTTR sure published. Let's say that. Is it really any different then this generation marvel ultimate Alliance 3. Ultimately 64 had a Mario tennis, golf, Kart, multiple parties, two zeldas, Mario, Dk. The only game it missed was metroid and there's a chance the switch misses metroid too. And I'd love yo have a studio compatible to rare

sixrings

Banjo-

@Magician To be honest, you can't compare Nintendo 64 and its retail games with Switch eShop that is almost like the Android store.

@sixrings Plus, many of the first-party games for Switch are ports.

Banjo-

Magician

@BlueOcean

Sure I can, considering roughly a quarter of the games available for the Switch have been released physically. And I'm not denying that the Switch has a lot of shovelware. But at the same time nobody can deny that the Switch is the best software-supported platform Nintendo has produced, ever. And we're not even halfway through its lifecycle.

Edited on by Magician

sixrings

@Magician maybe you're right. The last couple yoshi and paper Mario games haven't exactly been stellar. That said I love my Mario, Dk and Zelda games. Exactly the sequels I'm looking for. Ps I would love a new f zero even if it was just a fresh coat of paint

sixrings

Banjo-

Magician wrote:

@BlueOcean

Sure I can, considering roughly a quarter of the games available for the Switch have been released physically. And I'm not denying that the Switch has a lot of shovelware. But at the same time nobody can deny that the Switch is the best software-supported platform Nintendo has produced, ever. And we're not even halfway through its lifecycle.

You were comparing the number of games on the eShop with the number of physical Nintendo 64 games and that doesn't make any sense. To consider Switch the best software-supported platform is subjective because ignoring Android shovelware and Wii U ports (starting with Breath of the Wild that was delayed one year to get the Switch port ready, confirmed by Nintendo) I don't think that Switch has the best support ever by Nintendo. If you are talking about the quality of the games that's also subjective but most people will agree with me that Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mario Party, Mario Tennis and Kirby have better games on older consoles and many important Nintendo franchises are absent or represented by ports on Switch.

Switch has a few years ahead, or not, it's Nintendo so you'd never know. I'm sure there will be more games in 2020 and 2021 but, in the here and now, I can't consider Switch to be Nintendo's best-supported console ever at all. Actually, I expected more and better considering that Nintendo merged their two-platform development into one.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Magician

@BlueOcean

I wasn't comparing the number of eShop games to the number of N64's physical releases.

You made that assumption yourself.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic