Forums

Topic: Achievements?

Posts 401 to 415 of 415

Lethal

NaviAndMii wrote:

Lethal wrote:

I have OCD and I view the trophy lists for each game I play. I then decide if I feel I am able to achieve all the trophies in the game.

That's...not how OCD works. If you don't feel an obsessive compulsion to complete said task(s) - you do not have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (..or, at least, not in this area of your life)

I know how ocd works. You for some reason think nobody can have control over it and that it must refer to everything in life needing to be complete 100%. Silly rabbit....

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

LossyQuote

Raiko wrote:

I clearly have read back on the previous page. I mean no offence!

None taken. But yes, let's get back on topic please.

LossyQuote

spizzamarozzi

Raiko wrote:

@lethal In your case that all sounds like being particular. I know a few people with OCD and they have to repeat certain things over and over again or check things repeatedly because they can't convince themselves its ok.

The term OCD gets often used very lightly nowadays. People with true OCD can't live - their life is entirely ruled by the disorder, from eating to taking meds. Such people wouldn't even care that there's a checklist of things to do in a game - they have much harder challenges to endure.

OCD has become "generic psychological disorder #18" (in the past it was hysteria, paranoia, depression etc - all serious stuff that at some point in time was diagnosed to anybody who showed a peculiarity) and most people with some kind of fixation will be diagnosed with OCD nowadays - it's one way the health system sells meds, and it's one way modern society explains the little things that go beyond the norm.
This is based on my experience of more than a decade with people who truly had OCD (which was just one manifestation of a much complex disorder).

That said, shouldn't people with (true or supposed) OCD go and see a psychologist to cure it, rather than ask certain features to be removed from life? What if people with arachnophobia started asking to remove spiders from videogames? What if people with claustrophobia started asking to remove lifts from buildings?!

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

Lethal

Well said Spizz

LossyQuote

@Raiko @spizzamarozzi
Please don't hate me for this but I have to remove myself from this conversation going forward. It has become too uncomfortable to read posts like these in which I get the feeling I'm not believed.

LossyQuote

NaviAndMii

David Beckham is a famous OCD sufferer - he has to check his fridge every day before he goes out to make sure that all of the labels on its contents are front facing, even if he already knows for certain that they are. The condition affects him in other ways too (eg. he likes things to be especially neat and tidy) - and not at all in other areas of his life - but the fridge labels are his major 'hang up' and he simply cannot leave the house unless they are in order.

If @LossyQuote has a similar compulsion, but with Achievements - I'd say that that's a more than valid reason to want avoid them. It wasn't intended as a 'this is why I don't think that Nintendo should have them' kind of comment - simply just of an account as to why they, personally, appreciate not being exposed to something that may trigger some compulsive behaviour in themselves - and I thought it made for an interesting and honest read.

I, personally, don't much care for Achievements - largely because I find that the majority of them are either lazily implemented (ie. Complete Level 1 - well, duh? ) - or just not that 'fun' ..they just haven't contributed significantly to my gaming life, so I'm fairly apathetic towards them.

...but it's interesting to hear peoples' opinions and experiences - especially if they differ greatly from my own - there's no 'right' or 'wrong' answer here, we each enjoy games in different ways at the end of the day

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Lethal

LossyQuote wrote:

@Raiko @spizzamarozzi
Please don't hate me for this but I have to remove myself from this conversation going forward. It has become too uncomfortable to read posts like these in which I get the feeling I'm not believed.

Or just don't let it bother you. Who are we anyways? Some names on a forum? Don't worry about our opinions so much.

LossyQuote

Lethal wrote:

Or just don't let it bother you. Who are we anyways? Some names on a forum? Don't worry about our opinions so much.

Alright, one more post on this topic and then I'm truly gone. @Lethal Through your above quote I can clearly see you have no idea what OCD is and what it does to one's mind.
Also, OCD is a chronic disease. There is no cure. And yes, I personally go to a psychologist, which helps to live a normal life... to a certain extent.

Now please, PRETTY PLEASE, move on from this and go back on topic. Thank you.

And @NaviAndMii , thank you for the support!

Edited on by LossyQuote

LossyQuote

MarcelRguez

This thread is still going places, I see.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Octane

@LossyQuote Out of curiosity, do you complete every game you play 100%?

Octane

rallydefault

It's/he's back!

(In reference to Voldemort... and, in a fairly similar vein, this thread)

Guys... you're all just going to keep getting mad at each other. There's no right answer here, and it's pretty much just pitting two opposing viewpoints on life against one another. Neither stance is right or wrong - it's just a big ol' battle of opinions back and forth, and some of you are seriously getting your feelings hurt. Please step away. All of us.

Or someone like @Octane be the bigger person and just lock this thing before it consumes us all.

rallydefault

Lethal

LossyQuote wrote:

Lethal wrote:

Alright, one more post on this topic and then I'm truly gone. @Lethal Through your above quote I can clearly see you have no idea what OCD is and what it does to one's mind.
Also, OCD is a chronic disease. There is no cure. And yes, I personally go to a psychologist, which helps to live a normal life... to a certain extent.

Now please, PRETTY PLEASE, move on from this and go back on topic. Thank you.

And @NaviAndMii , thank you for the support!

You have no idea what I know. You do not know me. But you can think what you want buddy.

LossyQuote

@Octane I have the urge to do so yes. And when I, for some reason, can't complete it 100% it makes me sick. I won't be able to sleep, it takes over my thoughts and my life to the point I have no other option than to delete the game from my library. In extreme cases I've even gone as far as deleting my account on the service I was using and create a whole new one, only because I didn't want to get reminded of my failure. That also means having to re-buy most of the library I had build up by then.
Luckily things have improved the last couple of years.

LossyQuote

Octane

@rallydefault Alright, after that last post I'm convinced that's the right thing to do

Edit: Ninja'd, the post before that one.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.