Forums

Topic: 2 Major Things That Go Against Having A Smash Bros. "Deluxe Port"

Posts 141 to 160 of 168

RenderSpotlight

My understanding is once Nintendo goes live with the paid subscription, most games being played for free right now online will need the service. Here is a quote from the website. https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

"After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online. Currently the free-trial, the paid service, and online play (for applicable modes in compatible games) is available for customers in the select countries. For the latest list of countries, please visit Customer Support."

From reading the opening comment in this thread,

"Nintendo Switch Online has to be a big success for Nintendo, as this is the first time where the company is charging users for online subscriptions. If a port of Smash Bros. for Wii-U and 3DS were to be the one and only title offered at the launch of this service, you can write it off as dead on arrival. Doing this would be a big mistake."

It seems like you are implying that Nintendo will have only one game that will use the online service. Only one game that will do all the heavy lifting? The way I understand Nintendo's website, most games, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Spaltoon 2 and any other online game will need the paid subscription too.
Right now we are in a "free trial" until September.

Am I miss understanding your comment?

The Nintendo online service will not fail. With or without Smash Bros, the Switch is not going to sink because of a $20 online service fee. Most people will look at it as they are getting a deal.

RenderSpotlight

KaiserGX

@Hikingguy I know, we're mostly saying Smash would make the online service a bit more attractive to a bigger/casual audience and would be something to add to the service to help entice people a bit more. It would not be the main event, even though the idea for this thread was "2 major things that go against a Smash Deluxe Port". He says the online service would be dead without a proper smash and then says smash doesn't matter much to the service...

Edited on by KaiserGX

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

backup368

@Hikingguy The annual fee of $20 is an amazing price if there is enough there to offer consumers. But you're actually selling me on paying for Smash Bros. software alone rather than the online service itself. It would have just made more sense for a port to release when it was ready, because the game that people want to be ported has an online mode that is nothing to write home about.

"Why would Nintendo want to gamble on a new game by make another game that might anger the establish crowd?"

Every hardware decision Nintendo takes is a risk. The Switch was a risk, the Wii-U was a risk, and even the Wii was a monumental risk. They could have been fine just making conventional consoles, but they were losing the market share to Sony, so taking risk is something they needed to do.

You are forgetting that the Wii-U had been discontinued prematurely and development on the Switch started much sooner than planned. This meant that it has been since 2015 and 2016 since they started on the first few Switch software projects not named Legend of Zelda. And as I stated previously, Nintendo wants a new Smash Bros. game early in the each new console's life, whether that be 2019, 2020, or beyond. And SSBB actually was going to be releasing in late 2007 along with Mario Galaxy, but was delayed.

Sakurai has went on record in saying that both version of the game are "similar". There is no one version that offers more than the other, which is a very lousy statement when considering that one version of the game costs 20 dollars less than the other. But I digress.

That isn't to say that they couldn't re-use assets from the previous games and use what they currently have. Fighting games always recycle, Mario Kart has recycled character models from Double Dash to 7, Animal Crossing has always been relatively the same style of game.

Edited on by backup368

backup368

Switch Friend Code: SW-3852-6842-9110

Euler

Grumblevolcano wrote:

On the 1st party front, all Nintendo can really do for online is Smash and/or Pokemon. We've already got all the other big 1st party online multiplayer franchises coming before then except other Mario sports games but we're getting Mario Tennis Aces in Spring so it's not like Mario Golf will follow soon after.

So either a Smash 4 port will be a major part of promoting the paid online service or Nintendo's managed to get some massive 3rd party support like fully featured versions of Overwatch, Hearthstone, CoD, FIFA, etc. for the fall/holiday season with crossplay on PC/XB1 (Sony's not going to budge on the crossplay front, at least for a few more years).

Plus Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, or a new IP (they seem to be creating lots of those lately). Also, who’s to say Pokémon won’t be launching this fall?

Euler

backup368

@KaiserGX That is not what I said. If under the right circumstances that we were to get a brand new Smash Bros. game, that would undoubtedly get consumers to subscribe since most that what it could offer would be new. A port of an recently older Smash Bros. game wouldn't do that because you can still play online free on other consoles. You are simply misunderstanding.

backup368

backup368

Grumblevolcano wrote:

On the 1st party front, all Nintendo can really do for online is Smash and/or Pokemon. We've already got all the other big 1st party online multiplayer franchises coming before then except other Mario sports games but we're getting Mario Tennis Aces in Spring so it's not like Mario Golf will follow soon after.

So either a Smash 4 port will be a major part of promoting the paid online service or Nintendo's managed to get some massive 3rd party support like fully featured versions of Overwatch, Hearthstone, CoD, FIFA, etc. for the fall/holiday season with crossplay on PC/XB1 (Sony's not going to budge on the crossplay front, at least for a few more years).

There are many other games that they are working on that could have online modes: A new game from Retro studios, Next Level Games, a new Animal Crossing game, a new Pikmin game, that isn't to say that any of these games outside of AC would have online support, but they are always developing new games.

I am more convinced that it is the latter, because Nintendo Switch Online was slated for fall of last year, now it's slated for September, it was always planned to launch in the fall when most AAA developers release their new games. Here is what Nintendo employee Damon Baker said about the forecast for 2018.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/01/nintendos_damon_bake...

backup368

backup368

@KaiserGX You're twisting my words, mang.

backup368

skywake

backup368 wrote:

@skywake I never said that it wouldn't have new content, but what people are expecting, with all the DLC and all the content from both games, and only a couple of new characters and stages, it's far from enough considering how much time it is taking and how many new games are releasing.

Outside of Splatoon and Arms (that's 2) what series isn't already represented in Smash 4? I'll tell you, here's a list of million sellers released on Wii U, 3DS and Switch alongside or after Smash Bros. Next to each one I've added a comment on how well represented those releases already are and if not what they could do to add them.

• Super Mario Odyssey (not specifically referenced but Mario characters are all over it)
  • Breath of the Wild (they could easily add a stage/costume in a deluxe release)
  • Splatoon (easy contender for a small number of new characters)
  • Arms (I'm not sure how well Arms characters would work)
  • 1-2 Switch (a stage would make some sense if they were to do it)
  • Mario + Rabbids (Rayman/Rabbids could be used as a new third party character)
  • Pokken Tournament (It's just Pokemon, already covered)
  • Super Mario Maker (specifically referenced with a stage)
  • Yoshi's Woolly World (specifically referenced with a stage)
  • Captain Toad (The character I personally put into the Smash Ballot before all the DLC had rolled out)
  • Pokemon Sun/Moon (We could complain but I think Greninja makes more sense than Decidueye)

That's pretty much it. So what, 5 games which aren't referenced adequately? Of those two or three where a character could make sense. Really it's pretty much just Splatoon which is really missing from the lineup.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

backup368

@skywake

Well that is only a selection of games that you have mentioned.

Firstly, there is the Paper Mario universe. While there is a Paper Mario stage in the 3DS version, it is related to the outdated Sticker Star game. A stage that revolved around Color Splash or even just Paper Mario as a whole is preferable. After 18 years, Paper Mario still isn't a character.

Secondly, we have various Kirby games. Planet Robobot, Triple Deluxe, and soon Star Allies. Kirby is a lucrative series for the 3DS.

Yoshi is also getting an upcoming game, rather than just a port from the Wii-U. I remember when 2014 Smash Bros. came out featuring a Yoshi's Woolly World stage when the game wasn't even out yet. Now we're going to get a brand new Yoshi game this year.

Even though there are way too many Fire Emblem characters, there needs to be a stage from a new Fire Emblem game. There is a new Fire Emblem game for Switch scheduled for a release this year.

Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze came out in February 2014 brought to us by Retro Studios, but it's no surprise that Sakurai pretended like that game never happened (even though it sold better than Kid Icarus: Uprising), so that is another opportunity for the next game to represent the series better.

Pokemon makes up a sizable chunk of Nintendo's profits. For Nintendo not to include current Pokemon marketing in their current products would be backwards thinking.

Miyamoto has also confirmed at last year's E3 that there is a Pikmin 4 in development, so we should expect the game to be revealed this year also.

There is absolutely no representation of Wario outside the Warioware games. Not even Wario Land: Shake It from Wii had a stage despite all the effort put in that game.

Starfox Zero, while the game did not sell very well, it finally gave reality to the concept of walking Arwings, as well as a spinoff game called Starfox Guard.

Pokken Tournament and Mario + Rabbids are third party games.

backup368

skywake

@backup368
I didn't skip any, i listed all of the million sellers. You scraping the bottom of the barrel is not a rebuttal, you're just prooving how little isn't represented.

EvilLucario

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a million seller now.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

skywake

And there's a stage and character for xenoblade in Smash 4. Like I said, specific games we can whine about if we really want to get pedantic. As we were able to do when it first launched. But pretty much all of the major series are covered already.

EvilLucario

Either way, even if we get a Smash 5, it's pretty much going to be a Smash 4 DX anyway. The two are pretty much the same in my mind. Take the base of Smash 4, just add more to it.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

backup368

@skywake Uh this isn't scraping the bottom of the barrel, these are Nintendo's major IPs.

backup368

backup368

@KaiserGX Well that changes everything.

backup368

redd214

Well this thread didn't age well lol😋

redd214

LzWinky

Now hold on. Thread can technically be right if it's a new Smash

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.