Forums

Topic: 2016 Nintendo Directs Discussion - September 1st 3DS Direct Confirmed!

Posts 1 to 20 of 1,779

IceClimbers

So it's a new year, and a new year for Nintendo Direct. Thought I'd make a thread to speculate on future Directs and discuss them as they happen.

Here's a question(s) to start the thread off: What would you like to see for Nintendo Directs in 2015? More general Directs, or game-specific Directs? Or a combination of both?

Edited on by LzWinky

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Storytime7

Less game-specific directs, please. We had more than enough of them in 2014.

Edited on by Storytime7

Storytime7

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5304-9315 | Nintendo Network ID: storytime7

LzWinky

Storytime7 wrote:

Less game-specific directs, please. We had more than enough of them in 2014.

We already have a long list of revealed games. I hope you don't really want to be disappointed...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

DBPirate

I'd like to see a combination of both, personally. Last year had a big focus on game-specific directs but that's because games like MK8 and Smash 4 were coming out and people NEED to know about those. Also, Tomodachi Life needed a direct because it was originally Japan-only and people also needed to know about it.

Hoping for a huge January direct detailing Majora's Mask 3D, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly World. Doubt we'll see any more of Zelda U until E3 2015.

Currently playing: Bayonetta 2

My Nintendo: DillPickle | Nintendo Network ID: Czechmate1129

LzWinky

I suspect the following titles will get Directs:

Project STEAM
Splatoon
Legend of Zelda Wii U (if not showcased at e3)
Devil's Third
Star Fox
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Blast

WaLzgi wrote:

Project STEAM
Splatoon
Devil's Third
Star Fox
Xenoblade Chronicles X

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

PanicPuppet

Crossing fingers for a Star Fox trailer when the next Direct comes around. We needed footage of it by yesterday!

I'm also hoping for a surprise Metroid reveal sometime this year. That would get me to nerd-out for months.

PanicPuppet

IceClimbers

I'd personally like to see a combination of both throughout the year. I think it's highly likely that Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles X will get game-specific Directs, while Star Fox might get one as well seeing as we know so little about it (ie nothing other than it exists and is coming before Zelda).

For right now, I think there is enough stuff to have two general Nintendo Directs sometime this month - one for Wii U and one for 3DS. The Wii U one would give Kirby one last push before release, while giving updates on Yoshi's Woolly World, Splatoon, Mario Maker and either Mario Party 10 or Devil's Third (or both). It would also go over the upcoming Hyrule Warriors and Smash DLC and detail the amiibo use in games like Captain Toad. The 3DS Direct would go over STEAM, MM3D, and various localisations, reveal the New 3DS and probably announce a game or two (not necessarily N3DS exclusive) seeing as how we know so little about Nintendo's 1st party offerings for the 3DS this year.

Nicolai

DBPirate wrote:

Last year had a big focus on game-specific directs but that's because games like MK8 and Smash 4 were coming out and people NEED to know about those.

Actually, I think they were just doing what they could do while Mr. Iwata was on hospital leave. The traditional format returned once we saw him on the screen again with the November direct.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

19Robb92

WaLzgi wrote:

Project STEAM
Splatoon
Devil's Third
Star Fox
Xenoblade Chronicles X

This would be my thoughts as well. I think most directs this year will be aimed towards specific games.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

kkslider5552000

WaLzgi wrote:

Project STEAM
Splatoon
Devil's Third
Star Fox
Xenoblade Chronicles X

No offense to the quality of the game or anything, but I honestly don't think many people would actually watch an entire Project Steam focused event.

My guess for the year:
-Normal Direct
-Splatoon Direct
-Devil's Third Direct
-E3
-Xenoblade Direct
-Star Fox Direct
-Zelda Direct
-Normal Direct

maybe put another normal one before or after Star Fox

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

19Robb92

kkslider5552000 wrote:

No offense to the quality of the game or anything, but I honestly don't think many people would actually watch an entire Project Steam focused event.

That could be argued for both Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101, yet both got their own specific Nintendo Directs.

Janfeae

Give me a surprise Paper Mario Wii U.

I do want more general directs, instead of game focused ones. When a game is close to release (2-3 months), sure I'd like to see a 15-30 minute direct. But I don't want that to become the norm for most future Nintendo Directs. I like being surprised with unannounced games and updates in regular directs. As much as I like Nintendo Directs, I also miss Nintendo going to E3.

Janfeae

IceClimbers

@Janfeae They do go to E3. If you're talking about holding a press conference, there's no real reason for them to do so as they have to fill things in with fluff and stiff, awkward "men in suits" corporate jokes. What they did for E3 2014 was much more entertaining in my opinion and the Treehouse Live livestream has proven itself to be a successful idea seeing as how Sony used the idea for PlayStation Experience.

19Robb92

Janfeae wrote:

I also miss Nintendo going to E3.

Nintendo does attend E3. Last year their whole show was live-stream from the actual E3 show-floor..

Grumblevolcano

If Mewtwo/Miiverse/Tourneys are not the only new things coming to Smash then there may be another Smash Direct. Then again I personally think there won't been anything coming that hasn't already been announced as adding more DLC would be counterproductive towards the next game (people will expect 60+ characters on disc for example).

As for main single game directs, I'd guess:

• Mario Maker
  • Splatoon
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Star Fox/Project Giant Robot/Project Guard

I don't think LoZ Wii U will get a Direct as a big part of the series is story and a full game Direct would spoil it too much. Most of the games we've had full game Directs for either have no story at all (e.g. MK8, SSB 3DS/Wii U, Tomodachi Life) or have a generic story that is pretty much identical to previous games (e.g. NSMB2).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano Xenoblade Chronicles X is majorly story driven, perhaps even more so than Zelda. Of course, there's also a lot of gameplay features for them to discuss in XCX where as Zelda doesn't really need a Direct other than to hype up Nintendo fans.

Inkling

They need to reveal Non-Specific Action Figure - The Game

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

LzWinky

Janfeae wrote:

Give me a surprise Paper Mario Wii U.

I do want more general directs, instead of game focused ones. When a game is close to release (2-3 months), sure I'd like to see a 15-30 minute direct. But I don't want that to become the norm for most future Nintendo Directs. I like being surprised with unannounced games and updates in regular directs. As much as I like Nintendo Directs, I also miss Nintendo going to E3.

I do too. It's been what, 7 months, since they went to e3?

IceClimbers

I kinda want to see what Next Level Games is working on. Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon released almost 2 years ago, so their current project should be making good progress.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.