Forums

Topic: What Game are YOU currently playing?

Posts 3,941 to 3,960 of 3,990

gcunit

@Ralizah I've not tried Iconoclasts yet (on wishlist), but yes, it is largely a structured experience. I'd say it totally suits the game and is not a negative for me at all, it's just that so far it feels frustratingly close to being really great, to rival the likes of Guacamelee and Hollow Knight, but is just a bit off in those (for me) vital places, and a slightly more generous sprinkling of musical motifs through the game could really add to it.

Edited on by gcunit

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Tarolusa

Currently playing through two games, one being Kingdom Hearts 3 and the other one being a second playthrough of Pokemon Moon.

Kingdom Hearts 3 - Currently have just entered the final world in the game. As someone who absolutely adores both KH1 and KH2 Final Mix, while the game is certainly fun it is definitely a downgrade in both the gameplay department and ESPECIALLY in the story department. Literally nothing of worth happens for around 75% in the game and only when you enter the final area of the game does the plot actually start taking place (and even then it feels more like badly-written fanfiction rather than an epic conclusion to the saga). I would give it around a 6/10.

Pokemon Moon - Currently about to fight Olivia. Unlike a lot of Pokemon fans on the internet, I personally really like the Gen 7 games BUT during my second play-through, I have come to notice the shortcoming of the games, such as the first island just being one massive tutorial, the overabundance of cutscenes that break the flow of game, the drop in framerates during double battles and the overall linearity of the Alola region. Despite the flaws though, I still really like Pokemon Moon and would give it an 8/10.

Tarolusa

Tyranexx

Tarolusa wrote:

Pokemon Moon - Currently about to fight Olivia. Unlike a lot of Pokemon fans on the internet, I personally really like the Gen 7 games BUT during my second play-through, I have come to notice the shortcoming of the games, such as the first island just being one massive tutorial, the overabundance of cutscenes that break the flow of game, the drop in framerates during double battles and the overall linearity of the Alola region. Despite the flaws though, I still really like Pokemon Moon and would give it an 8/10.

I've made the same observations during my current playthrough of Ultra Sun after clearing Sun over a year ago. I'm not quite as far as you; I'm just past Lana's trial as of this writing. The first island in general is VERY restrictive with what you can do. The only thing mentioned that I haven't experienced are the frame rate issues, but I am playing the game on a N3DS XL unit this time around.

That's not to say I'm not enjoying Ultra Sun. It's still pretty railroaded to a fault, but I like some of the additions like some of the plot changes and Mantine Surfing. The Alola Photo Club though....I'm sure some people really enjoy this extra, but it's something I can do without.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started
Currently playing: Pokemon Ultra Sun, Mega Man X (SNES Classic), Kirby Super Star (SNES Classic)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

RazorWind

I'm finally finishing up Hollow Knight and BOTW, at the last battle on both. Both absolutely brilliant rides that lasted me months. Hollow Knight surprised me especially, that was a AAA quality game for $9 bucks at the time.

Making decent progress on Cuphead, mid-way through the 3rd world. It's challenging for sure, but not the teeth-grinding hell that was pitched to me online. I've found it to be very fair and satisfying so far.

RazorWind

Ralizah

@RazorWind The only "teeth-grinding hell" in Cuphead is trying to S-rank bosses on the post-game Expert difficulty. Enemies are more dangerous, and beating them with a perfect score requires hours, sometimes days, of straight practice. For me, at least. A+-ranking the bosses on the normal difficulty is challenging, but fairly approachable. You just need to be able to recognize and respond to enemy attack patterns.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

RR529

Final Fantasy X HD (Switch) - Recently got the third Aeon, and am now getting ready to hitch a ride on an elephant like creature called a Shoopuf. If memory serves me right, I have a boss coming up.

Tales of Zestiria (PS4) - Did a lot of sidequests recently after they really opened up, but I'm currently back on the main track & am getting ready to finish up the Water Trial Dungeon (those eye traps that send you back to the beginning of the dungeon if they spot you are annoying as heck, though at least you activate warp points ocassionally that let you skip the earlier parts the further you get).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

gcunit

The Sonic Team Racing release pushed me into booting SASRT on my Wii U, but... guh! I just can't enjoy that game - the routes through some of the courses are unclear, there's too little technical driving, the flying sections are dull, the boats are annoying (seriously, getting away from the transformations can only be a good thinng for STR) - I'm not sure I can play any more of it.

I had to play some MK8 immediately afterwards just to cleanse my mind.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Heavyarms55

Been enjoying but not totally thrilled by FFX on Switch. I just got to a big open plains area and trained a Chocobo - which was much simpler than I expected and felt kinda pointless TBH. I don't mind the game being linear and it really really is. I like the way you level you characters up, minus the key spheres which are really annoying to find. I actually find the dated voice acting pretty entertaining too.

@Tyranexx @Tarolusa I liked Gen 7 in general, but my biggest complaint was that the Ultra games really should have just been 10-15 dollar DLC packs. They used almost entirely the same assets, and like 75-80% of the game is unchanged. As people have pointed out, they did that back in the day on the Game Boy and DS, but that was forgivable because there was no other way to release expansions on those systems... I loved the way riding Pokemon were used to replace HM slaves from older games, riding Tauros was so cool! And although corny, I live Z-moves a lot as a mechanic in competitive play. I really like the idea of a one shot special move that leaves the player guessing which Pokemon will do it, and what move it will be. But I definitely noticed the lag caused during double battles and with some of the more complicated Z-move animations. It was my assumption that the demand on the 3DS' hardware was too great and that's why triple battles and rotation battles were dropped from gen 7.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

Tyranexx

@Heavyarms55 I hope Ride Pokemon are here to stay too. It's so nice not to slap HM moves on your main team. I never bothered with HM slaves much in earlier gens since I didn't like switching my Pokemon out during the main story.

From what I've played so far, I do think that US/UM would have been better served as DLC add-ons. There's so much more that they could have done plot-wise. Granted, I'm not too far into Ultra Sun just yet, so maybe the game will surprise me.

I understand what they were trying to accomplish here; if I recall, a lot of the game was worked on by newer employees so that they could get a better feel for the series. However, I feel like they made that team play things a little TOO safe.

Granted, it could be that I was just so spoiled with BW2. Now THOSE were proper sequels. Raises walking cane

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Pokemon Ultra Sun, Mega Man X (SNES Classic), Kirby Super Star (SNES Classic)

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx That's just it though, BW2 were very much true sequels, USUM are alternate stories that are about 80% the same. It was largely a regression in the series. To be fair, that 20% new content was for the most part, quite good, but 20% is not a new game, it's an expansion pack.

Feel free to add me

Tyranexx

@Heavyarms55 Agreed. Apparently the plot gets pretty nuts later on too, but I intentionally don't know a lot of the details. I either like or at least don't dislike a lot of the new content and plot changes so far, but there are some sections where you can tell that the text has barely changed.

Venus_Adept

Hmmm an unexpected pokemon discussion in this thread. Im in. I want to say that the last 2 generations were meh. I see two big problems here.
1 Lack of post game content.
2 Handholding.
I allways buy the Pokemon games in day one. Because im a big pokemon nerd, but also because i love the vgc. But while i love to spending hours breeding a 6 ivs mon to battle with my friends, that is not something that everyone would love. The 8 gen games need something that hooks the players who already beat the game. The emerald battle frontier was the pinacle of what im talking. Summarizing we need another battle frontier.

Venus_Adept

HobbitGamer

I'm still causing chaos in Saints Row 3. I had debated on picking up ACreed3 for the holiday weekend as a present to me for finally fixing the truck (YAY), but some of the vids I've seen are quite unsightly. Thoughts? So far I've only seen @JaxonH mention playing it.
I'm also tinkering around in Labo's VR Garage

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Moroboshi876

That would be Crash Bandicoot (in the N-Sane Trilogy), in preparation for Crash Team Racing.

On Xbox One I should be playing Batman: Arkham Knight and on MAME, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

MarioLover92

Been playing Team Sonic Racing the past few days. It's surprisingly good! I didn't think I would like the team mechanic at first, but it has grown on me and adds some depth to its gameplay. The tracks are fun to race on, and the music is absolutely excellent (don't even get me started on the Lost Palace theme!). I'm going through the Team Adventure mode now - I haven't tried the online mode yet, but I will soon enough. If you're into kart racers, I'd give it a solid recommendation.

"Super Mario Maker on Switch.................CALLED IT!"
-Me while watching the 2/13/19 Nintendo Direct

kkslider5552000

I've mostly been playing YIIK: A Postmodern RPG. I'm only a few hours in but I have a lot of thoughts on it...only some of which are actually relevant to the game itself.

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

SamusLv7

These days I'll be playing Yooka-Laylee 80% of the time and the other 20% Bravely Default. Perhaps my gaming time will incline 70/30 when I start playing Bravely Second when I beat Bravely Default.

Now playing:
Zelda BotW (DLC), Mario Odyssey, Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default, Yooka-Laylee, Bravely Second.

Anti-Matter

Eh... Tomodachi Life 3DS.
Listening to my Kecoak songs group performances. 😆

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

MarioLover92

Been playing TSR's online multiplayer last night, it was quite fun and it works really well. I have the Steam version and there were a decent amount of people online. I should probably play it more often though, 'cause I have a feeling that the player base may decrease by quite a bit when Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled comes out. No word on CTR coming to Steam though.

"Super Mario Maker on Switch.................CALLED IT!"
-Me while watching the 2/13/19 Nintendo Direct

Heavyarms55

I haven't progressed much in FFX because I took another stab as Star Wars: Empire at War, Thrawn's Revenge. An absolutely stellar mod that is essentially the sequel we never got, and, even if they do release one, is based on pre-Disney Star Wars, so we'll never get an official one like this. It starts right after The Battle of Endor, you can play as the Imperial Remnant (like, the official government of the Empire post-Palpatine) or one of 3 rogue Imperial warlord factions (groups that, after Palpatine died formed their own private dictatorships) or the hardest campaign; the New Republic.

It's an amazing mod that adds so much to the original game! All sorts of ships and units from the books, comics and other SW games, tons of hero units too, many of which are based on what era you are in. The era progression is totally reworked too. In the base game you just had to research tech to advance, but in this mod it is based on events in the Galaxy. Which Imperial leader is in command, or if the New Republic has taken Courscant. Each faction as periods where they shine. The warlord factions are strongest in the early eras, but in the mid-game the Empire re-surges. If the New Republic can live until the late game they become the strongest force, especially if they can control Yavin 4 and Mon Calamari.

It's so much fun dropping in Star Destroyers and blasting through rebel scum or traitorous former Imperials. Or swarming Imperial Super Star Destroys with hundreds of X-wings and Y-wings!

Feel free to add me

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic