Forums

Topic: What are you listening to right now?

Posts 401 to 420 of 2,106

Ryu_Niiyama

Soundtrack to Samurai Showdown (2019). It is a bit disappointing so far. Lucky for me, the game is great but I'm sad as I tend to like the Samsho soundtracks. The shamisen usage is good though...

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

bimmy-lee

RIP Daniel Johnston. True love will find you in the end. Finally, Queenie the dog again!

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

JoeDiddley

@bimmy-lee oh no. I hadn’t heard this, very sad.

I saw him once where some of my friends were his pick up band. And again with Sparklehorse backing him not long before he left us.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

bimmy-lee

@JoeDiddley - I found out yesterday, shortly before I posted. It was a heart attack, I’m not exactly sure when it happened, but that’s when it was made known. That’s really great that you saw him twice, and both under cool circumstances. Do your friends have any weird/cool stories about performing with him? Before yesterday, he was near the top of my must see list. I heard he was performing live quite a bit by his standards over the last few years.

I have three of his homemade tapes, but they’re from later batches. The dub quality is terrible, but they’re still hand labeled, and the cases have copies of his drawings and song lists affixed with little pieces of clear tape. I don’t know why, but I’ve always found them hilarious. I enjoy thinking about him making them in his parent’s garage. Ah man, he was great. Hope he found peace.

limby-bee was a jerk.

JoeDiddley

@bimmy-lee sorry for late reply. Busy at work and home!

My friends were star struck. They said they were expecting him to maybe be withdrawn but when they rehearsed there wasn’t long but he was really upbeat and launched right into things. “That’s great guys!”

I was listening to Martinu, Aphex Twin and Aesop Rock mostly over the last few weeks but now I want to revisit some of his stuff to pay my respects.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

skywake

Have really been enjoying King Gizzard's newest release. Enough that I went and ordered a bundle of their first five releases on CD for $50

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Faruko

Incomplete from the Brackstreet boys

bsb are my guilty pleasure tbh, which coming from someone that likes all kind of metal is pretty funny lol

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

klingki

Probably not for those who don't like heavier music (though I wouldn't say this is super heavy, but there are no clean vocals)...

Touche Amore is a band I had heard great things about in the past, but I must have listened to a song or two and decided they are not for me. Anyway, flash forward to yesterday and I read that they had a new song out. Even though I was not really into them, I decided to listen to the song anyway for some reason, just on a whim I guess. And wow, I friggin love this song! I'll probably go back and check out their older stuff again now.

klingki

Late

Korn's new album, The Nothing, that came out today.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

DrJon216

I have been on a huge Zeuhl/RIO kick as of late (bands like Magma, Weidorje, Paga, Eskaton, Present, Univers Zero).

King Crimson is also coming to my city in less than two weeks, so a binge of their entire discography is imminent.

Edited on by DrJon216

DrJon216

bimmy-lee

@JoeDiddley - That’s really funny. I feel like I know him, maybe due to the documentary and the highly personal nature of his music, but your friend’s experience makes me realize I don’t know him at all, of course. What an amazing experience though, to perform with him.

My wife and I had some beers and listened to some of his albums last night. It had been a while since I listened to him, with the exception of Queenie the Dog. My kids are crazy about that song and ask for it all the time. The older I get, the more accustomed I become to people I admire dying, but I have to say; this one is sticking with me. He always seemed like a little kid, no matter how old he got. No worries on the timeliness of your replies.

limby-bee was a jerk.

JoeDiddley

@bimmy-lee I hadn’t listened to him for ages either. When I used to work in a record store colleagues would be bitter that people started listening to a great artist when they died. Why not when they were around. But I’ve always seen it as a fitting tribute.

There is something so timeless about his music and that’ll probably become even more apparent now. It’s in the DNA of so many alternative bands. A building block like the blues.

Most people I like are dead, so yeah you get used to it. I don’t get out to as many shows as I used to as a result. A few are left but I daren’t jinx it. My favourite artist is usually told to sleep safe by someone on the internet whenever another legend goes. I don’t like it.

bimmy-lee

Totally agree on his legacy. He made a lot of albums, and influenced so many other artists that his name will come up long into the future if/when someone is studying a multitude of genres over the last 35+ years. His artwork is iconic too.

I’ve always been a fan of The Beach Boys, and I was going through my “oh man, I can’t believe Pet Sounds is so good” phase when I first heard Johnston. I was amazed that, in fleeting moments, this guy with a tape recorder and a chord organ could remind me of Brian Wilson with a studio full of instruments, and I wasn’t even sure if he was being serious. Those two have always been intertwined in my mind. Similar bumpy paths to brilliance.

I also tend to eulogize some of these people with their music when they pass. It doesn’t bother me when someone discovers an artist upon their death. The more the merrier. I do sort of understand being annoyed at the record shop when the 20th person wanders in looking for Dan Johnson though. Those same people probably passed up Badmotorfinger and bought an Audioslave album when Chris Cornell died.

Anyway, definitely don’t jinx anyone. It seemed like Willie Nelson was having some trouble recently, but I think he rebounded.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

Ryu_Niiyama

Ok so the Link's Awakening OST sounds fantastic. I need them to revive the symphony and add this.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ninfan

I downloaded a app that plays all the music from zx spectrum games

Ninfan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic