Forums

Topic: What are you listening to right now?

Posts 1,721 to 1,740 of 2,108

Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Princess_Lilly

Your favorite albums, guys? I need moar

my current favs

• U2 - greatest hits
  • Cure - disintegration
  • Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
  • Black Hills and Hecklaa - Rivers and Shores
  • God is an astronaut - all is violent, all is bright

What do you guys think of post rock?

Princess_Lilly

Rambler

@ComfyAko
Off the top of my head, five albums I really like:

Bitches Brew - Miles Davis
White Light / White Heat - Velvet Underground
Spiderland - Slint
Road to the Riches - Kool G Rap
Exai - Autechre

What do I think of post-rock? Is that like asking what someone thinks of hip hop or techno, or Christian contemporary? It's just a way of doing things.
If one is gonna split hairs, most bands pidgeon-holed as post-rock come under the math- rock moniker (Slint, Rodan, June of '44 - all that Louisville stuff), while post-rock as defined and named by Simon Reynolds in the wire is for stuff like Bark Psychosis and late Talk Talk (Spirit of Eden, Laughing Stock): using the general instruments of rock music to make something different, rather than building upon Red by King Crimson to produce highly-complex punk/hardcore

Rambler

Yannis

@ComfyAko It's really difficult for me to answer, because i listened to so many bands in recent years..but if i had to pin it down to just a couple of albums that i enjoy a lot listening to, those would be the following:

-Evanescence: Fallen
-My Chemical Romance: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge
-Disturbed: The Sickness
-Tiamat: The Astral Sleep
-Katatonia: The Great Cold Distance

As for post-rock i really don't have an opinion to contribute, since i mostly listen to subgenres of metal. Having given though a listen to the video you provided, i'd say i pretty much dig it

Yannis

Switch Friend Code: SW-1329-7751-0704 | Nintendo Network ID: Johnnie

dmcc0

@ComfyAko I'm never really sure what defines post-rock (or indeed most sub-genres), but watching that video and looking up a Wikipedia list of of post rock band, it seems I'm a huge fan! Particular favourites are Godspeed you Black Emperor and Mogwai - saw them both live recently too.

Current favourite albums (probably changes weekly):

• Peace Sword : The Flaming Lips
  • G_d's Pee AT THE STATES END!: Godspeed you Black Emperor
  • King for A Day, Fool for a Lifetime: Faith No More
  • The Road OST: Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
  • Autofiction: Suede

dmcc0

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic