Forums

Topic: What are you listening to right now?

Posts 1,501 to 1,520 of 2,108

Rambler

@Jump - if you've not heard it, check out Loggerhead by Wu-Lu. Mix of hip-hop and mid 80s postpunk that actually works

Rambler

jump

@Rambler yeah they are cool! Rather annoyingly I first heard of him on a playlist of a festival I went to earlier in the year however it was after I went to the festival I listened to it so I didn’t know to check them out.

Acts like Wu-Lu do make me wonder what the future of indie-alternative is. There’s been similar acts before who are indie alt rap but could not make a big enough impression due to the audience for them being too oriented with traditional bands but now that the uk has finally got over the indie landfill of the 00-10s with stuff like The Wombats dying down there’s been a sharp decline in the UK producing bands with the few big guitar acts being singer song writers who I find a bit dull like George Ezra so it makes think will it being taken up rappers instead? Honestly the most exciting new act I’ve seen in the last year is Bob Vylan so I’m all for it and the Aussies seem to have been producing a lot of decent new bands in the last few years if I really want a rock band fix.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

@jump
There's definitely something better in the water at the moment. Getting all fancy about it, I think the mediocrity of most of that last batch of guitar bands, coupled with wider availability of different styles of music has lead to a blurring of genres and an acceptance of more experimental approaches to music production. That Soul Glo album was brilliant, for example - a mix of hardcore punk and hip-hop tracks.
We've kinda been here before with the late 70s-early 80s postpunk of Wire, Scritti Politti, Sonic Youth, Swans, Mars, etc and the late 80s-early90s with MBV, Slint, Bark Psychosis, and all the noise rock, hip-hop, DnB in between. It's just this time, the internet has it all out there at the same time.

Rambler

Rambler

Speaking of which, an album that surely could only exist due to file-sharing and streaming (and happens to be one of my faves), Black Vomit by Wolf Eyes & Anthony Braxton:

Rambler

Kermit1doesmath

@Rambler I could make a joke but I'm not. Turns out an old post of mine with that word got removed.

dysgraphia awareness human

jump

@Rambler Soul Glo are awesome, I'm hoping they will tour the UK soon as they have never played here before.

Of course the danger is once some experimental catches is will then become bastardized like the early mix of dance-rap-rock resulted into the Limp Bizkit. It was quite sad being a teen in 00s for me and the great band of that generation was Limp Bizkit and them splitting up was like Kurt killing himself, urgh.

I'm looking forward to what the rap take on shock rock will be in the future. It's all well and good Denzel Curry covering Rage Against The Machine but I want to see him cover Gwar!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

I want to hear gwar done like those insipid acoustic covers that are on adverts. Maybe some Cannibal Corpse as well.
Didn't the Beastie Boys do a bit of a shock rock thing on their first tour?

I've now got a bro-rock version of Stockhausen or Bernard Parmegiani kicking around in my head! But I know what you mean - I always think of dubstep in that way: a genuinely exciting development in UK dance music that mutated into, well, Limp Bizkit for ravers.

Speaking of which, the new Hudson Mohawke is good - (happy) hardcore gone very strange

Rambler

Maxenmus

I don't know if they added this to the past two Sonic movies... but they should add it to the next one if they didn't.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Rambler

Was listening to The Chats, kinda bogan Oi punk. Probably the diametric opposite of my fave Australian group, The Necks (acoustic free improv). Anyway, as an antidote to both, Godflesh live seemed appropriate:

Rambler

RupeeClock

Although it's a fan game, it has superb music and some of the artists have gone on to contribute to official Sonic projects like Sonic Mania, and the 30th anniversary symphony; using an arrangement originally made for this fan game!

RupeeClock

Maxenmus

Despite the problems with the films they came from, I really like John Ottman's themes for both X-Men and Fantastic Four:

I doubt Marvel's gonna use this when the FF finally shows up, which is a shame, because it has that uplifting and wondrous feeling to it that befits the FF, known for their thirst for knowledge while exploring the wonders of space.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Rambler

Realised that there is a Dean Blunt-sized hole in my listening, so:

Dean Blunt - Black Metal
&
Hype Williams - One Nation

Rambler

Rambler

Apparently the universe sounds a bit like Delia Derbyshire:

(Hopefully they didn't amplify it, but rather pitched it up...)

Rambler

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic