Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 8,641 to 8,660 of 8,671

judaspete

SSX reboot on PS360 was awesome. Maybe the second best game in the series after 3.

judaspete

My Nintendo: judaspete | Nintendo Network ID: judaspete

TheJGG

@SquidOnTheRise Sometimes guns aren't the problem. But ignorant US Senators and haughty know-it-all parents don't care about this. Because the average American tends to associate violence with guns, any lack of correlation between guns and video games is thrown out the window when they're brought up. As the great Masayuki Uemura (designer of the Famicom) said once, "Americans like guns [so they'll like the NES Zapper]".

As @timleon points out Mortal Kombat is a game that doesn't even use guns, yet somehow managed to break through the stigma that "if a game didn't have guns it wasn't violent" that was so prevalent in the early nineties. Not going to lie, I get a rush just like anybody else when being in an immersive action sequence, be it a gunfight, melee combat, or other. In that regard the "stereotype" I was attacking was first person shooters. You can consider Uncharted a third person shooter, because it's not from Drake's point of view. Those games seem more interested in the atmosphere than glorifying violence.

Again, if there's more to a game than the guns, then I can at the least respect it for not relying on it.

@Shadowthrone I completely agree, it's unfortunate that videogames have become the global scapegoat despite movies being much worse. You'd probably never get a "violence p**n" thing like Saw on a video game console, mostly because videogame graphics aren't yet realistic enough to scare you accurately and evoke the same feelings.

I feel like a psycho now because during the first fifteen minutes of John Wick: Parabellum, and the first half an hour of Saving Private Ryan, I laughed every time there was a graphic violence act. In the latter one guy was crawling along the beach looking for his severed arm, and veterans say this was accurate. Yeesh... :0

Kingdom Hearts III was a hallmark in bridging the gap between movies and games, because some scenes from the Disney animated movies looked indistinguishable from the animation from Square Enix. Let it Go was one sequence they nailed. At least they didn't get the hair wrong.

Video games: RPGs, Action, Adventure.
Movies: Tenet, Princess Mononoke.
Stage: Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera.
Music: Daft Punk, video game soundtracks, LOW ROAR

My Hideo Kojima name is "The Indifferent Memory Loss"

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Euler

kkslider5552000 wrote:

On the opposite side of things, I distinctly remember back in the day reading an article that suggested the original New Super Mario Bros was a far more well liked game because it came out in 2006, when most people weren't really making 2D platformers. Compared to the NSMB games after it, which were surrounded by far more big budget 2d platformers and the rise of indie platformers.

That sounds about right. Because I remember when that game came out in 2006, it was really cool. It's the subsequent games that bothered me.

Eh. The early-mid 2000s were right when I played through Super Mario Bros. 2, World, and 3 on the Gameboy Advance for the first time (followed by 64 on the DS). So I was underwhelmed when the first New game came out. I thought that U was the best of the four.

Edited on by Euler

Euler

Haywired

I loved the first New Super Mario Bros. game, I thought it was fantastic, but I don't think there should have been 4 of them (in fairly quick succession as well. Need I remind everyone that NSMBU and NSMB2 came out within 3 months of each other...). It created a weird situation where something like NSMBU is pretty much about as good as a 2D platformer can get really, and yet it felt so stale and so tired and so derivative, just going through the motions of another identikit NSMB game, that it was hard to care or muster any sort of excitement for it. All 4 NSMB games have kind of just merged into one in my mind now. I mean, I reckon I could recall practically every level from Super Mario World, yet I don't think I could recall a single level from say, NSMB2, despite having played it way more recently (and if I did recall a level, I wouldn't be completely sure whether it was from that one or any of the others).

It's kind of a similar deal with Super Mario 3D World. From a pure gameplay perspective, the game is hard to fault (well, there was a level where you had to blow into the Wii U microphone, which is an unforgivable sin in my opinion, but apart from that), but it's also very forgettable. Again, even though it was only about 5 years ago since I played it, I can't really remember much from it at all, whereas I can vividly remember everything from Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, despite playing them many years, nay decades prior. As proficient as it is, 3D World doesn't really feel like a cohesive whole, more just a bunch of levels. I get why Nintendo made 3D Land/3D World, it was to try and 2D-ify the 3D games to make them more accessible to the casuals who had never really taken to 3D Mario in the same way that they had taken to 2D Mario, but it seems that Odyssey has somewhat rectified that, so I don't think we need to see any more 3D Land/3D World-style games.

Haywired

Wargoose

Not sure if this is an unpopular or popular opinion.

Kingdom Hearts 2 is the worst AAA sequel ever made.

Wargoose

TheJGG

@Wargoose Did a Metacritic search, it's likely unpopular.

Video games: RPGs, Action, Adventure.
Movies: Tenet, Princess Mononoke.
Stage: Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera.
Music: Daft Punk, video game soundtracks, LOW ROAR

My Hideo Kojima name is "The Indifferent Memory Loss"

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Krull

@Wargoose Oho, a gauntlet has been thrown down!

Worst AAA sequel ever made? Deserves its own topic, that one.

Final Fantasy II would be my shout. I’d say there’s no reason for anyone at Squaresoft to beat themselves up about it, though - it would only make them more powerful.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

kkslider5552000

Wargoose wrote:

Kingdom Hearts 2 is the worst AAA sequel ever made.

This is pretty much objectively untrue. Especially depending on what qualifies as a sequel.

At the very least this implies its worse than say, Devil May Cry 2 or Megaman X7. Doubt.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Wargoose

@kkslider5552000 Yeah DMC2 is pretty bad as well. I'd say Kingdom Hearts 2 is worse, mainly because it's a lot longer.

But it is like a toss of a coin

Edited on by Wargoose

Wargoose

Snaplocket

The new Pokemon Legends game looks lame and I'm not excited for it one bit.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Diddy64

As a selective completionist, I see Megaman X7 worse. If we add to that how it is the most difficult X games after all the entries being more balanced in difficulty, I'd say that X7 is one of the worse games. Even X6 give you decent time to save the reploids. X7 forces you to rush the stage to save them, even in rookie hunter mode. Though I haven't played Kingdom Hearts 2, so I don't know the issues the game has. You can tell me if you wish so 😊

Undergoing games:
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Megaman X Legacy Collection 2
Fire Emblem Awakening
Zelda BotW
Smash Bros Ultimate

Wargoose

@Diddy64
Kingdom Hearts was a pretty simple game, a kid name Sora has to defeat a host of Disney Villains in order to find his friends.

Kingdom Hearts 2 replaced the disney villains, with 13 copy and paste anime characters in dressing gowns. They're boring to look at, boring to fight, and their backstories are needlessly complex.

Check out the description of one of Kingdom Hearts 2's characters. I promise you, I am not making this up.

'Master Xehanort was a Keyblade Master, the first master of Ventus, and the creator and master of Vanitas, the primary original incarnation of Ansem and Xemnas, and the future self of Young Xehanort.'

Wargoose

kkslider5552000

I agree Kingdom Hearts' storytelling is garbage. but its still a video game. With like a combat system meant to be fun that by nearly any account I've ever seen, succeeded. Honestly just replace the writing for the game with someone more talented than a mid-tier 15 year old fanfic writer, and I assume you're good.

Honestly the key thing though is that many video games have bad stories. It's more a problem that Kingdom Hearts does because its an RPG, but if its still a fun game, I'll take the fun game with the bad story over the unfun game with a bad story.

Diddy64

@Wargoose I see. I can relate to when games changes villain characters so drastically that one don't like the end result. I also know that when they put things more complex than necessary (story, game mechanics, etc), it can affect the enjoyment of a game.

Undergoing games:
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Megaman X Legacy Collection 2
Fire Emblem Awakening
Zelda BotW
Smash Bros Ultimate

Ralizah

The first KH had insanely repetitive and annoying combat. Couldn't walk five steps without having another load of heartless air-dropped on you.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine expansion; Gnosia (Switch)
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

Zuljaras

I have no idea why people like Kirby. I think the games are stupid with a weird looking balloon for a main character.

Perhaps that is the point of the series.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Zuljaras

kkslider5552000

Zuljaras wrote:

I have no idea why people like Kirby. I think the games are stupid.

your face is stupid > : (

what did kirby ever do to you, meanie : (

Zuljaras

@kkslider5552000 It is just a stupid pink balloon Don't take it personally, please!

After all we are all here to tell something unpopular

Oh an actually your opinion about my face in NOT unpopular! Haha ... and now I am sad

Edited on by Zuljaras

Zuljaras

Wargoose

Ralizah wrote:

The first KH had insanely repetitive and annoying combat. Couldn't walk five steps without having another load of heartless air-dropped on you.

The 2nd game was the same but with press triangle to win commands, which made battles quicker, but not anymore fun in my opinion. To be honest I enjoyed the first game, because it was kinda like a disney/Final fantasy avengers style cross over. The story was simple but effective, and then KH2 just lost me. I finished it, but more so I could play KH3 without reading a wiki.

@kkslider5552000 Yeah I agree, I think my issue is I don't enjoy the base Kingdom Hearts gameplay enough to give the bad storytelling a pass.

Wargoose

Snaplocket

@Wargoose To be fair, the only reason Organization 13 and the keyblade masters even exist is so the games can have a story at all due to Disney's ridiculously strict policies.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic