Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 8,581 to 8,600 of 12,088

kkslider5552000

I understand people's disappointment regarding New Horizons, but I just don't see how previous games were notably better. Like I played New Leaf, and while it was definitely better than Wild World (or City Folk aka Wild World again), I felt like the mayor stuff was really undercooked compared to what I actually wanted. If anything I find there's more you can to for your island than you could do as a mayor.

I honestly think Animal Crossing is just limited as a single player video game in terms of long term engaging content, and it becomes readily apparent if you played at least one of the previous two main line games that are actually worthwhile (again, not Wild World or City Folk), because there's only so much you're going to get from another Animal Crossing because of what Animal Crossing kind of inherently is. And the big issues with it are problems I've had since the moment I played a 2nd Animal Crossing (even if some parts of it are arguably worse here).

Also "I only played a game regularly for like 2 months, and then only occasionally afterwards" is a fairly normal amount of time spent on any video game?

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

chapuH

Excitebike Arena on Mario Kart 8 and 8 Deluxe is overrated. While the MK series is less reliant on skill than other racers, Excitebike is almost ENTIRELY decided by items and luck, with just two gentle corners and straights which are hard to lose significant time on. Kudos to the idea and graphics though.

Hope you're having a good day.

VoidofLight

@kkslider5552000 for an animal crossing game, 2 months is nothing. With new leaf, I played for about a year consistently before eventually getting a bit tired from it. New Horizons is good for those who like the customization aspect of animal crossing, but nothing else about it honestly. It’s lacking in charm, npc’s, small holidays, and other things that made animal crossing fun for so many other players.

Not to mention, the game itself has little to no progression in comparison to the previous entries, where you actually had to work for the things you have. In New Leaf, it took me years to unlock the final house upgrade due to how bells are effectively needed for everything. In New Horizons, it took me about a few months of playing on and off after every update hit.

The shop upgrades are another issue New Horizons has. After about a month of playing, you unlock the only shop upgrade in the game. It doesn’t feel earned frankly, and just gets dull after a while. Doesn’t help that they padded out the catalog with item recolors.

For me personally, Animal Crossing is better as a singleplayer experience rather than a multiplayer one. I enjoy building up my town, talking to my villagers, and playing the game by myself.. rather than being forced to play online in order to do certain holidays like the bug-off or fishing tourneys, and forced to play online in order to make my own fun.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Losermagnet

I think animal crossing is a series that suffers from dimishing returns that varies depending on what order you play the games. For me I loved the original, didn't like City Folk, then loved New Leaf, and now I'm just okay with New Horizons.

I think New Horizons is one of the better AC games, but it just lacks the content that it needs to be entertaining consistently for years.

Unpopular opinion.....hmmm.... Original Mega Man kinda sucks
(runs away)

Edited on by Losermagnet

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

kkslider5552000

VoidofLight wrote:

It’s lacking in charm, npc’s, small holidays, and other things that made animal crossing fun for so many other players.

I agree with this to some extent, I just think some of these are overstated in actually being consistently good throughout previous games.

VoidofLight wrote:

In New Leaf, it took me years to unlock the final house upgrade due to how bells are effectively needed for everything. In New Horizons, it took me about a few months of playing on and off after every update hit.

This makes New Leaf sound worse to me, not better. Especially considering the previous games' awful system of punishing you for taking too long a break. I felt trapped by New Leaf like 4 months in, which dragged the experience down for me by that point.

VoidofLight wrote:

For me personally, Animal Crossing is better as a singleplayer experience rather than a multiplayer one. I enjoy building up my town, talking to my villagers, and playing the game by myself.. rather than being forced to play online in order to do certain holidays like the bug-off or fishing tourneys, and forced to play online in order to make my own fun.

1. I did the fishing and bug tourneys offline so I don't know what you're even on about.
2. There is enough truth that there was more focus on the social aspect of Animal Crossing, and as a primarily single player guy I do have issues with that and I would've likely enjoyed the game more if they didn't. But the larger difference to me is that they exchanged some level of charm with a more polished experience with more expanded upon elements from a pure gameplay perspective. On top of the graphics and especially music (Animal Crossing > New Horizons >> New Leaf >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wild World for the music specific to these games btw). Great music means a lot to me in a video game, so that also helped.

I actually do agree with some elements of the game being disappointing but to me its more "It's a shame this isn't the best Animal Crossing game, because it could've been" instead of "this is a downgrade from past games".

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Ralizah

@Losermagnet The original Mega Man is one of the least popular entries in the series, and almost inarguably the worst, lol.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Dogorilla

@kkslider5552000 I agree with you on a lot of points there but I'm surprised you like New Horizons' music better than New Leaf's. I think NL's soundtrack is lovely but NH's is just bland to me.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

kkslider5552000

Dogorilla wrote:

I agree with you on a lot of points there but I'm surprised you like New Horizons' music better than New Leaf's. I think NL's soundtrack is lovely but NH's is just bland to me.

I don't think they're bland at all, but I could also not immediately tell you why I like the soundtrack more than New Leaf's. I think they're probably of the exact same quality tbh.

Honestly, I was actually told the songs were bland going into New Horizons, and had no idea what people were talking about when I finally got past the boring tutorial music.

Anti-Matter

@kkslider5552000
I thought ACNH is better than ACNL.
The minorities here keep saying ACNH was suck for not having the charm.
What charm?
Your villagers moving out by themself is not a charm.
Playing Animal Crossing just to trigger 101 dialogues is not a charm.
Unable to beautify my island is not a charm.
You must play Animal Crossing everyday or the villagers will move out without your acknowledge is not even a charm.
That's a curse in my opinion.
I will not play old Animal Crossing games with archaic features like that, totally unattractive.
Thanks for ACNH with feature to keep my villagers forever unless if i want to kick them directly. And Nintendo have cut some yada yada yada from villagers and i like it because i don't have to talk too much with my villagers or listening the long prompt of conversations. Keep it brief, no yada yada please.

Anti-Matter

Losermagnet

@Ralizah My mileage varies with NES platformers, but that one got a 'nope' from me. I was always under the impression that people liked that one though.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Ralizah

@Losermagnet Not in my experience. Some people will give it kudos for starting the series, but it's lacking in content, the level designs are infuriatingly unfair at times, and it's hard not to laugh at the largely pointless score counting that was wisely dropped in the next entry, which seems like a vestigial bit of game design probably derived from Capcom's previous presence in the arcade game scene.

I do actually think it holds up a bit better than many other games from that generation, but it's clearly not a classic like several of the immediate sequels.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

SilverAC

I don't know if it's just me, but I really don't like the rewind feature that has been put into game compilations recently, specifically Nintendo Switch Online. I feel really guilty when I use it, and even if I don't use it and beat the game, it wouldn't feel as great of an accomplishment because I know I could have used it at any time, and it's just less believable. I know that the 3DS and Wii U have save functions on their Virtual Console games, but those aren't nearly as tempting, as you'd have to pre-consciously save before anything happens.

SilverAC

VoidofLight

I guess the unpopular opinion with animal crossing is that New Horizons is the worst game in the franchise. ¯(ツ)

Edited on by VoidofLight

Anti-Matter

@VoidofLight
Pardon ?
ACNH is way much better than Old Animal Crossing on Gamecube, NDS and Wii.
Happy Home Designer on 3DS was the worst Animal Crossing in my opinion but i need HHD to unlock Lottie and HHD house arranging in ACNL.

Anti-Matter

Snatcher

@SilverAC Nah man me too, I hate it.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Anti-Matter

Yokai Watch 3 3DS Battle system is way more interesting than Turn Based Battle style Pokemon games.

Anti-Matter

VoidofLight

@Anti-Matter yes, and you also love shovelware, so that kind of shows you where your tastes are.

Anti-Matter

@VoidofLight
Correction, i like good shovelwares and some obscure games. As long they are playable and decent enough.

Anti-Matter

Snatcher

Look if they think ACNH is the worse entry in the series he has the right to think so, I mean a lot of people do, I mean I don't have the game but from what I have seen, NL if way better for me.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Anti-Matter

@Snatcher
If ACNH is worse than previous Animal Crossing, i will not buy it.
ACNH have features that i like more than ACNL so i can Time Travel anytime without losing my villagers since they will never moving out by themself until i kick them out. Very great decision by Nintendo to let peoples keep the villagers forever. 👍👍👍

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic