Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 8,561 to 8,580 of 12,088

Matt_Barber

Unless you're talking about Roguelikes where re-starting from scratch every time is a key part of the experience, I can't see any downsides to auto-save.

If a game is going to let you save at that point anyway, just automatically doing it for you is merely removing the drudge of constantly doing it manually. You don't have to use the last auto-save either, and can instead go back to your hard save if that's how you prefer to play.

Matt_Barber

winter0912319

@Link-Hero
It's convenient, and it definitely is. But every action is less consequential when you can simply reload the auto-save made when you entered the room with the trap you weren't expecting, or because you forgot to save. That's on you and I think learning from your mistakes (and paying for them) makes the experience more engaging.

Edited on by winter0912319

winter0912319

Snatcher

Well I mean, you do learn from them tho, as is why you auto save so you don't have to start all over, your just wasting time for no real reason at that point, in my opinion. now if its a rougelike then I can see why you would think that, but I see nothing wrong with it in actual games.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

arnoldfranklin

I like Brawlhalla better than Smash at least Ulitmate. I like the Wii U better than the Switch. I like Smash for Wii U better than Ultimate except I definitely like the character roster better in Ultimate. I don't promise how long I will have these opinions but yeah.

Edited on by arnoldfranklin

arnoldfranklin

My Nintendo: namely_one

VoidofLight

I couldn't imagine not having auto-save. It saves you a headache if you forgot to save, and were in a rush to turn the game off. It also helps those who forgot to save before a boss fight in one of those games that just force you to go back through the beginning of the dungeon if you don't save.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Sunsy

@arnoldfranklin You're not the only one. I've always been a casual Smash player and I do enjoy the games. I do like Brawlhalla more because online play is smoother, and I can play it with my friends thanks to cross-play. Plus, being free-to-play means no online subscription is required, which is a major plus in my book.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Snatcher

@Sunsy I do agree with it having bettter internet but lord, I just can't stand the arts style. other then that, great game.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Zeldafan79

@VoidofLight

How about when you're playing and it starts storming outside and the power suddenly goes out? I was playing Chrono trigger once and that happened. I hadn't saved in hours. I wanted to die right there.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Snatcher

@Zeldafan79 Dang, something like that happen'd to me one time, I can't remember what game it was but I had to have spend hours on this boss fight, Only for me to finish it, But you know, no auto save during a boss fight, and the game F**** crashes, Just kill me.

VoidofLight

@Zeldafan79 Reasons like that is why I constantly save all the time, and I'm pleased auto-save is a feature. Last thing I want is to lose hours of progress due to uncontrollable events.

Zeldafan79

@Buizel

The Wii U's off TV play was probably the coolest thing about it. I just hated how third party developers always thought they had to add extra gamepad features to all their ports of previous gen games. Kinda made them not want to bother because of the work involved. That's why alot of them bailed on Wii U. what also sucked is that you still had to be so close to the console itself or it would disconnect. Mine had a problem once where the gamepad got accidentally knocked to the floor from a chair in my living room and all the sudden the range on it was screwed up. It would lose contact just a few feet from the console. I had to send it in for repairs.

Overall though i had alot of fun playing on it and never regretted buying one. I really don't understand all the hate it gets. Any system that let's you play Wind waker and Twilight princess on a handheld device isn't all bad. Even the switch can't do that. Here's hoping someday.

I've been around for every one of Nintendo's game systems and a whole lot of others from different companies and I've seen far worse than Wii U.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

boondal

I think they meant in relation to save scumming. Where you abuse the save option to revert any damage or bad outcomes. If that makes sense.
Saving or using autosaves to avoid losing progress is all coolio imo. That's what they're there for

Edited on by boondal

boondal

Buizel

@winter0912319 To be honest, as someone who has been gaming for 25 years and is conditioned to save at every opportunity / always save before turning off, I don't find autosave particularly useful at all. It's just sorta...there. I still manually save if at all possible just to ensure my progress is retained, as many games aren't quite clear on when they're saving (I know many have a "saving" symbol in the corner...but this comes and goes so fast sometimes that it's impossible to notice!)

That said, there are some games where autosave makes sense (i.e. those where you wouldn't ever want to lose any progress, such as Mario Kart or Smash) and others where it's probably less suited (RPGs).

The only problem I have with autosave is when it's not optional and overrides your manual save. But this has the effect of making your actions more consequential as they can become irreversible, preventing save scumming and such. So personally I don't really agree with your perspective here.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Dogorilla

Buizel wrote:

As for third party support? There was almost no reason to get the Wii U version of a game unless it was your only console, as 9 times out of 10 it would be the inferior experience.

I guess this is an unpopular opinion from me: 9 times out of 10 I'd rather play the Wii U version of a multiplatform game because it would usually have some kind of GamePad feature, which would make up for the worse performance for me, even if it's just a map or inventory.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Sunsy

@Snatcher Yeah, it's just fun to hop online in casuals and fight without worrying about lag. I don't really play Smash online much because of performance, except with a friend in private games. Last time I played online was Smash on Wii U on Ultimate's release date, just to see if anyone was still playing it, lol.

Sticking to Unpopular Opinions, Metroid Prime wasn't my cup of tea. Just couldn't get into it, even though it's a well received game. I did enjoy playing Metroid Fusion however.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

kkslider5552000

Dogorilla wrote:

Buizel wrote:

As for third party support? There was almost no reason to get the Wii U version of a game unless it was your only console, as 9 times out of 10 it would be the inferior experience.

I guess this is an unpopular opinion from me: 9 times out of 10 I'd rather play the Wii U version of a multiplatform game because it would usually have some kind of GamePad feature, which would make up for the worse performance for me, even if it's just a map or inventory.

I'm regularly reminded on every other game system where map and inventory and menus are a vital part of it how great DS and Wii U era, seamless dual screen gaming was. I miss it, every single time.

I was just playing Xenoblade 2 (aka my life the past 2 months), perfect example. So much menu nonsense, would be so nice to just look into some of it while walking around.

I'll also agree that I never liked how some devs/publishers just assumed they had to make some gimmicky thing, so they didn't bother. One of the things that made the Wii so cool was that sometimes, is that some of the games didn't even use motion controls and even worked with the Gamecube controller. I'd have been fine with some more Wii U games with no controller gimmicks between the ones that had them (I had to considering Nintendo themselves couldn't bother half the time :V)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MPSSislit

I'm going to repost an Unpopular Opinion that I posted earlier this year (or late last year, I don't exactly remember when I posted it), but I believe I never got responses to it, IIRC.

I really like Ninjala and find it to be pretty fun (and chaotic). I’m honestly having more fun with it than I was with AC: New Horizons, which is surprising because I’m a big Animal Crossing fan. Now, I’m liking it more than Splatoon 2 (as I haven’t played Splatoon 2 since January 2020).
The fact that this is an unpopular opinion, to begin with, is kind of sad.

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

VoidofLight

@SM3DASislit I mean, I wouldn’t blame you for not having much excitement for new horizons, given it seems a lot of fans aren’t pleased with it, compared to previous entries.

MPSSislit

@VoidofLight
Sorry for the late reply.

Yeah, it does seem like there are more and more people growing discontent with New Horizons. I was pretty hyped for New Horizons before it launched, but once I played it, the hype started decreasing a lot. I thought I was only one of a few people that were discontent with New Horizons, but I learned that wasn't the case. I used to play the original Animal Crossing a ton, back when it was first released, so maybe I thought I potentially had rose-tinted glasses towards it, since the original is my favorite AC game.

I think my main issue with New Horizons is the fact that it feels like they stripped features from the previous games to focus on the new features, and I don't get why they couldn't focus on both. I get that New Horizons was delayed because they were focusing on wrapping up major patches on Splatoon 2, but it's like they used the delayed time to strip features out of the game, and not further enhance New Horizons before launch.

I feel like at this point they should probably stop doing balance updates for Splatoon 2, so that way they can put their full efforts into Splatoon 3, and having big updates for New Horizons, like the Mario update, except have the updates be focused on bringing back the features they've taken out.

I thought you weren't a huge fan of New Horizons either, IIRC. 🤔

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

VoidofLight

@SM3DASislit Yeah, I’m not a big fan of New Horizons. I love all the other entries, but can’t get myself to enjoy New Horizons either. I was initially excited for the game, just like you were, but once it got leaked early, that excitement faded to worry, and after about a month or two I slowly started to quit playing regularly. I checked in every update, but never kept playing for long, and eventually stopped playing entirely in December, when realizing that it was probably never going to improve.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic