Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 8,541 to 8,560 of 12,088

Sunsy

I know this is a dumb one, in recent years I kind of grew to like password saving in older games. Thinking about older Game Boy games where the save battery is dead and the game no longer holds a save, at least that password some games generate lets me continue playing those games.

I know in-game saving is preferred, but at least passwords do have their advantage looking back at some of the older games I have that no longer save.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

kkslider5552000

Unless Megaman 10 changes my mind, I'm ready to declare Megaman 8 to be the most compelling post-NES game in the classic Megaman series. It's not as good as the better X games, but it is easily my favorite of this style of Megaman beyond 2-5. Even with the very, very bad jump and slide sections.

Megaman 1 is obviously not the best and Megaman 6 I just never got into, partially because of its soundtrack. 7 and 11 are good games, but never feel right compared to the classics, they're always just a bit off despite their best efforts. 9 is halfway great and the other half are the same problem from 7 and 11 (well better in some places, maybe worse in others). Also the lack of charge beam and slide is just awkward, but that might just be me. But with 8, most of what it does comes together for me. It feels like if Megaman skipped the 16 bit era and they brought back on PS1/Saturn as a throwback almost, but still one that plays like a 2d game from that era. The shooter sections are also just a nice change of pace that fit fairly well.

also they tried, but I'm not super into how 11 looks. Maybe all the sprite based games beyond 8 bit spoiled me, but it reminds me most of when Nintendo would make a good enough, bland-ish 3dtake on their 2d games on 3DS or the like. It's not NSMB levels of boring, but its well made enough in the least interesting way they could get away with. And 8 in particular is so much better looking to me. That game is gorgeous, I wish more games looked like it honestly. I dunno how anyone could not think of 11 as a step backwards when 8 exists.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Losermagnet

I think it's cringeworthy when the day's featured article on Wikipedia is a video game.

Recent articles: Discovery of Nuclear Fission, The Thankful Poor, Pisco Sour

Today's article: Sonic the Hedgehog

One of these things is not like the others.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

jedgamesguy

@Losermagnet I'd be willing to forgive Wikipedia because today's Sonic's 30th anniversary and all.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Losermagnet

@TheJGG I'm sure it says more about me that I dont like it. But i can't help but feel like it's so inconsequential compared to the other topics (even when it's just a drink). It would be better suited for the 'Did You Know?' section I think.

jedgamesguy

@Losermagnet When you put it that way you may have a point honestly. Even so it would probably fit in either category, because it’s an important pop culture event. To hold it in the same esteem as nuclear fission though? Questionable.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Losermagnet

@TheJGG that's it - it's pop culture stuff. It's like when it comes up as a category on Jeopardy lol.

Anti-Matter

After playing Yokai Watch 3 Tempura 3DS for more than 115 hours, I can say Yokai Watch 3 is way much better than any Pokemon games in term of gameplay.

Anti-Matter

Snatcher

@Anti-Matter Thats the thing its compared to pokemon so much but in my opinion, its kinda its own thing.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

BenGrimm

@Zuljaras
Agreed, I finished 1 and played some of 2 and it never clicked for me. Not saying it’s a bad game I just personally never “got it” like others have.

BenGrimm

TheFrenchiestFry

Bayonetta much like DMC or Yakuza are acquired tastes. They're very distinctly over the top and push a lot of boundaries in regards to their rating. Not everyone gets it and that's perfectly fine

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

kkslider5552000

Bayonetta is not enturely for me, but not because it is sexualized but more because it is a button combo game. Button combo memorization is just not what I'm looking for in games, same reason I don't get that deep into a lot of fighting games. Metal Gear Rising and especially Wonderful 101 are more Platinum Games' style that work for me by comparison. That goes double for the story elements. Way too much of Bayonetta 2 in particular is just a not well written Japanese video game story, except with some winks to the audience and occasional jokes to pretend that alone makes it engaging somehow.

I still enjoyed the games a lot, because they play incredibly well despite my issues, but those issues are why I don't adore them like some people do.

Buizel

I often see people cite "bad marketing" as the reason for the Wii U's poor sales.

Not sure how unpopular this is, but I think there was a lot more wrong with the Wii U than poor marketing.

• The system was underpowered. This wasn't so much a problem with the Wii and the Switch as these had features (namely, the Wiimote and hydrid nature) that made them appealing despite the lower power.
  • The gamepad. I defended this for the longest time, but mostly for off-TV play. But to many this was clunky, added unnecessary cost/maintenance/space (particularly if you wanted to dafult to the pro controller, as that was an additional cost on top of the system), and never really proved itself truly useful for even the majority of Nintendo first-party games (in fact, I'd argue that looking away from the TV screen was a detriment on some occasions).
  • The OS was sluggish.
  • Third party support was the worst of any major Nintendo system.
  • Nintendo's output was often lacklustre. Though we got some great games (Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker...), these were too little too late, and by the time Nintendo picked up steam on HD development everyone had their eyes on the NX.

At least 2'8".

Dogorilla

@Buizel I love the Wii U GamePad and it had a lot of untapped potential for clever uses in games, but it definitely wasn't immediately clear what the point of it was, unlike the Wii and Switch whose core concepts are very easily communicated.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Euler

@Buizel Dunno if power was that big of an issue. The Wii was even more underpowered, yet it won decisively. But I think it would've sold well and everyone would be going on about how brilliant of an idea the gamepad was had Super Mario Maker been a launch title.

Euler

Buizel

@Euler I don't think power has a significant impact on Nintendo's titles, but it l almost certainly had an pact on third party support and the overall appeal of the system.

As for third party support? There was almost no reason to get the Wii U version of a game unless it was your only console, as 9 times out of 10 it would be the inferior experience.

In terms of general appeal? PS4 launched only a year later with much more power and a competitive price. At a time where Nintendo was still yet to convince us what the Wii U could offer over the competition.

These were less an issue for the Wii and the Switch. Switch has the major benefit of offering portable versions of games, so people are more willing to overlook lack of power. Wii had the makings of a once in a generation cultural phenomenon with Wii Sports and motion controls.

At least 2'8".

Snatcher

Ok I'm just going to get this out there, I love mario odyssey, I love almost every thing about, the world the characters the Levels, mario's movement, but....there is one thing, that I just hate this game for and kinda ruins it for me.

You see collecting moons in Odyssey is fun, I mean from were you first start out the game, there are moons as far as the eye can see, its so fun just to collect moon after moon, I mean there moons under caves there moons in dirt, there's even moon mini games, But you see, if you are like most people, And maybe idk stopped after you beat it or maybe you felt the need to collect 300 power moons to get to the darker side, Now collecting moons up to that point is very, very fun.

Buuut if your like me and you noticed that there are 999 moons! then your going to, uh kinda have a bad time, you see, i'm trying to 100% this game, and I collected all the moons/ purple coins on half of the worlds already, Now do not get me started with the purple coins, but thats for another itme.

But through all the moons I have collected for this 100% journey, I have not injoyed collecting half if not all of the moons I have found, for the most part I'm trying to not use a Guide, and for the most part I will pay in game coins for hints, so I can at least see were to look, But my god, I like looking for stuff as much as the next guy but my goodness these moons were soo stupid to find. I can be looking for half an hour only for the moon to be under me the whole time, Only finding it bc I ground pound by mistake, They did not, and I can't stress this enough, they did not ever need 999 moons, Like who thought that would be fun?

Bc now that you have a stupid number of moons, Now you have to place it stupid areas, bc lets be real, there is no way you can figure out real spots for all those moons, its why they needed to do idk 300 or 500 moons, that would have been good, not 999, and as proof that they had no idea what to do with those things, After I get all the moons in the areas, I'm still not done, bc the last moons you have to buy, ya now I will have to grind out cash after I'm done.

This game, is just not fun to 100% and I know you can be all like "If you don't like it don't do it" I want to 100% But I hate doing it, you can want to see a film but hate having to buy all the food, then the ticket's a month before, Its like that, I want to 100% but I hate having to put up with the service. Look, I'm almost done 100% it, but after that, I'm just done, I just done with this game, I mean come on I know the other 3D mario games had 100% similar. Mario galaxy had me have to 100% the game twice in order to fully 100% (Still haven't 100% that game ether) So far from what I did from sunshine, the only real issue seems to be the blue coin's, Mario 64 seems ok just a lot to go through.

All this 3D mario games, have issues that make 100% them, less then ideal, But Odyssey takes the cake with not only boring moons, but just some moon placed in totally random spots, and it makes you think "How was I going to find that?"

Sigh I could go on and on about how much I hate it but I will stop here as I have been typing for a wile, Look You don't have to agree and you don't have to like what I got to say, But this is how I feel about the game form a completionist standpoint, now as a casual game player sort of standpoint, this game is amazing and everyone should give it a try, I don't think they will regret it.

If you have read this far, thank you, and even if you skimmed through half of what I said, Thank you to.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

kkslider5552000

Mario Odyssey was already well past its peak the more I played post-game, I can't imagine going for 100%. To the game's credit, AFAIK there is nothing to the game after you unlock the final thing with 500 of them, and when I failed to do that challenge after hours, I was happy to be done.

Though to be fair, going for 100% is usually a terrible idea. Even in older games with way less content, there's often something that makes the game way worse if you go for more than 90% or so of it. I once did an LP of Megaman Legends and it took me FOREVER to max out all the weapons. It's not even that long of a game, yet my play time (and I just double checked this) went from 14 hours to 20 hours just from extra grinding I did for money to upgrade them all. For those who haven't played Legends, imagine going to the first big room in a dungeon in a 3D Zelda, killing some enemies for a minute or so, and then leaving and coming back to it again 100+ times.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

winter0912319

The auto save feature makes the experience you have playing a video game less meaningful.

winter0912319

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic