Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 8,401 to 8,420 of 8,573

Solaine

@Zuljaras There are still very different anime that are not shounen or harem romances. I am not sure what kind of genres you like but there is still a lot to discover, at least i made that experience recently

"Without love, it cannot be seen" ~Umineko no naku koro ni

Zuljaras

@Solaine As I see it I liked more dark ones. Vampire Hunter D was amazing. Hellsing as well. I loved it.

As for comedy nothing can beat Ranma 1/2!

But most of them are made for weebs nowadays. And they all look the same.

Zuljaras

Wargoose

@Zuljaras I think you can grow out of it. I remember liking dragon ball z as a kid. I watched it recently, and wow is it poorly paced.

The only one I've watched recently, and really liked was one punch man.

I quite like the style when it's used in video games in a cool way. Like No More Heroes or Final Fantasy.

The trouble is a lot of Anime games end up looking really bland. Characters from the Tales series, Xenoblade 2, valkyria chronicles, Fire Emblem, and Guilty Gear just do nothing for me. I can't really put my finger on what is.

They're not ugly character designs, maybe they're just too cartoony for me. Maybe it's transitioning a 2d art style into 3d that makes them look a bit weird

Edited on by Wargoose

Wargoose

BranJ0

If anyone finds shonen anime tropes to be too prevalent and heavy handed, then I'd strongly recommend HunterxHunter (2011). It's my favourite anime, and one of my favourite shows of all time, and it masterfully deconstructs the shonen genre. I adore it.

BranJ0

Solaine

@Zuljaras more dark mhhm, out of my head maybe Maybe Higurashi, Shiki, Monster, Ergo Proxy, Serial experiments lain, Fate/zero, madoka magicka...? Granted a few of those cannot really be considered modern.
Comedy is harder i think. Maybe one punch man, daily live of highschool boys, Gintama, The devil is a part timer.

Anyways, so that this goes back to gaming opinions: I really love anime styles in games after xenoblade 2, Ni no kuni and some tales of games. Those are actually my favorite, they are just so colorfull! Sure the game behind it might be bad but the style itself is really awesome i think

Matt_Barber

You could also try Blame! That's the darkest thing I've seen in a while.

So far as 'harem' anime goes, it ain't all bad so give Urusei Yatsura a try. That's the series where the trope pretty much started and it's actually really good. Not only do you get the endless procession of alien babes, but its full of surreal imagery and madcap humour, yet it's fully capable of switching up for some dramatic moments. Sadly, it spawned a legion of feeble imitators that took the harem but left out all the good stuff. I'd have Tenchi Muyo as the last good harem anime, although even that slid into wish fulfillment territory pretty quickly.

Much the game goes for 'fan service.' What started as a bit of an in-joke in the Gainax shows Gunbuster, Evangelion and especially Otaku No Video (all really good and recommended) just ran out of control when others picked up on it , and now you've got every other anime heroine having bouncing boobs and going to war in their swimwear.

Matt_Barber

jump

Ralizah wrote:

Saying "I don't like modern anime" is a bit like saying "I don't like modern games;" it's such a broad, generalized statement about a vast medium as to be effectively meaningless, and really only communicates something about the pigeon-holed perspective of the speaker.

I agree with this, whilst it seems like a very obvious statement to make there's a few replies after this comment which still sweeps anime as an entire genre rather than a medium. ;p

It's like saying all books, all podcasts, music or all tv shows etc are all the same, when really they can all be wildly different to each other. It would be like labelling 50 Shades Of Grey as the same thing as One Hundred Years of Solitude, Serial is pretty much The Nerdist, Slayer have the same sound as Nina Simone or Breaking Bad really just is The Bachelor. If I think about the anime shows/films that really hooked me they are all completely different from tone, setting etc and some don't even have fan service in them as shocking as that maybe.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Losermagnet

Since it relates to a thread I was recently posting in: I don't think censorship in video games is an issue. I think most of the time it's an exaggerated response to a developer making creative decisions so their product is more marketable. As if it's a tacit admission of the creators to support a culture that the aggrieved doesn't like. Of course people are allowed to get upset if it happens, there's no accounting for personal tastes, but when I think of genuine examples of censorship I think more-

"Why are all those books burning?" Or
"Why did Winnie the Pooh suddenly disappear?" And less
"Why was the 13 year old changed to 16, and why'd they change the bikini I can make her wear?"

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Solaine

Most censorship does not bother me a lot and may draw an occassional smile when i see it happening, be it in any medium. But only as long as it remains something small, irrelevant to the game as a whole e.g. a cigarette in somebodys hand at one scene.
The bigger it gets and the more i realize it is censorship, the more it bothers me though because it makes me feel like the game experience has been tampered with.
Usually these are also no problems as long as its the developers idea and he/she stands behind that. I usually have more of an issue with producers censoring or changing parts of the game because they think it fits more with the audience, i don't really have an example here though.

Since i cannot remember anything, out of my head, about being really upset about a censorship, it probably was never an issue for me as well.

Edited on by Solaine

kkslider5552000

Yeah that whole thing is kinda absurd and I hope its dying off now. I mean, I can respect people going all in on their weird visions, even if it will offend people. But like most of the time its just some Japanese dev putting a pervy thing in for lulz and English localization looking at it like "uh we can change that" and no one involved actually caring much.

Even in cases where I think it was a negative, its rarely a substantial change it seems like.

In all liklihood, the real censorship is one we don't see before a game comes out.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Losermagnet

kkslider5552000 wrote:

In all liklihood, the real censorship is one we don't see before a game comes out.

Exactly. I'm reminded of the insane cultists in Earthbound. They originally had an 'HH' on their hood that was removed in the US release. 10 year old me had no idea until I was much older. And even in this example I think it's an appropriate change and not real censorship.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Blooper987

@Zuljaras if you like darker anime you should watch Danganronpa: the animation and Danganronpa 3: the end of hope’s peak. They are a little fan servicey, but they’re really good and go against a lot of anime tropes.

Join the Doggo Nation and Subscribe to our eternal virtual overlord Korone on YouTube immediately!

Also sub to Amelia Watson while your at it. You’ll be thanking me afterwards.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

kkslider5552000

This is less controversial here than some places, but to continue something I've talked about for years now: there are very few games Nintendo Switch is actually missing out on because it is not as powerful as a PS4. The entire concept of missing out on games because Switch isn't powerful enough is somewhat close to a non-issue if you like a wide variety of games. I feel more confident about this now that we can look back on that generation. Obviously ignoring Ps4 exclusives that never came to Xbox (either first party or otherwise), the only big AAA games I can think of that have skipped Switch that interest me are Shadows of Mordor, Watch Dogs 2, Titanfall 2, the Garden Warfare games, Jedi Outcast, the THPS remakes, Persona 5, Red Dead 2, and a handful of Capcom and SE games. I'd maybe give another Souls game a shot despite mildly sucking at Dark Souls 1 on the 360 too. Maybe No Man's Sky now that its somewhat the game it was actually supposed to be.

That's not nothing but I'll probably end up getting as many JRPGs I've never played (or played enough of) for Switch by the end as I would the combination of those games I listed. And that's just like one genre. A genre I've barely touched so far on Switch.

But the reality is that if you like 2d platformers, 3d platformers, turn based RPGs, any big JRPG outside of new mainline Final Fantasy/Tales/KH, survival horror, non-realistic racing games, stealth games, Japanese action games, schmups, rogue-likes, sim games, single player FPS, fighting games, etc, its reasonable to assume those games will likely end up on Switch. Because the games too powerful for Switch are often made by people who have disregarded all of them, for the same couple of money making genres. (so that they can continue to never be as successful as even one year of Fortnite or Minecraft anyway)

And after Cyberpunk, Switch owners dodged a bullet if anything lol.

I really just hate the idea that because some of the big games skip Switch, the hundreds, maybe thousands of quality games don't count. Especially in an era where all the interesting and varied stuff more and more comes from indie gaming. It's also a bit like, I dunno, saying Netflix sucks because it doesn't have the handful of movies that HBO Max will be getting. Including the part where they ignore anything on HBO Max that isn't a heavily hyped movie, I'm sure some of the best Ps4 games were made by like 10 people lol.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

GilbertXI

I have mixed opinions on the state of Nintendo's third party library. Compared to anything after the GameCube it's a godsend, maybe even better than GameCube.

Issue is the hyperboles both sides of the argument use. People who say there are no good ports with a lower quality are really talking out of their ***. If you want the best quality ports, then get a PC( with notable exceptions of course, looking at you Arkham Knight). You need to make sure for yourself whether you think the trade-off is worth it or not, just don't regurgitate the same criticisms over and over again.

On the other side, yes, the third party state isn't as good as other consoles. Outer Worlds was a horrible port, for example, along with many others. I believe the main problem in this area is how the ports are made. Most ports are made by dumbing down the game after it's released, but if in the future there are games with smaller optimization teams for the Switch from the get-go, most problems would be avoided, but I have little experience as a programmer( as in I took a Java class in high school and like nothing else) so I am not the best source for this. Monster Hunter Rise for example is a good way to do it, make it for the switch then optimize it for PC if the rumors are true( have doubts as the story changes every week).

Another issue is that some publishers, notably EA, treated the Switch as it's some sort of poison up until like now. But seeing Capcom make strides to boost the Switch's third party library that may be subject to change. Also, when discussing almost every criticism of the Switch, people classify the Switch differently depending on what better suits their argument. It's a console when it comes to third party, it's a handheld when it comes to power, it drives me nuts, at least stick to one. I personally would classify it as a handheld myself, even though it really should be it's own thing. Point is, from the perspective that it is a handheld, the Switch library is EXTREMELY impressive.

Edited on by GilbertXI

GilbertXI

kkslider5552000

I think people don't realize or forget that the fact that it can run Doom competently and that Alien Isolation is apparently somehow in some ways BETTER than other console versions (I almost want to get it for that reason lol) took a lot of effort and clever programming and that it is not remotely easy, even compared to normal ports. It's at best, mildly less challenging than if they tried to release these games on a 360. So its inevitable that some of the ports are just not gonna be good.

They're a nice bonus on top of the Nintendo games, and indie games, and various, unending ports across basically every generation of gaming.

faint

Every modern console has a great library and is worth owning for one reason or another

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

GilbertXI

It still makes me chuckle that the Switch has the least broken version of Skyrim out of all of them. A perk about older games releasing on the Switch is we know they are the real deal.

GilbertXI

Matt_Barber

faint wrote:

Every modern console has a great library and is worth owning for one reason or another

Yeah, they're all good.

Even the Wii U and PS Vita have pretty strong libraries. It's just that people tended to get far more hyped up about the games that they weren't getting rather than the ones that were coming out.

Matt_Barber

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic