Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 8,401 to 8,420 of 12,088

Losermagnet

I guess in other words I don't feel like I'm stuck in 2017 but that, 4 years later, the system has so much to offer it's asanine to narrow it down to 5 or 10 games that might be liked by most. The fun of the Switch for me has been digging through dozens of games to find one that really suits me.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

VoidofLight

Personally, I'm not stuck in 2017, but I can't say there's many switch games I felt good about playing, or that I really liked. They just feel sort of weak in comparison to the 3Ds library.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

jump

@Losermagnet Whilst both Smash Bros and Mario Kart excel as multiplayer games I reckon both offer as much single player content as the next game, especially Smash which is kinda insane how much is in that game.

But yeah, there’s a lot of variety on the Switch. Something I don’t think people actively give Ninty enough credit for is publishing games across genres, there are genre gaps sure but they treat so many non-FPS/adventure/action as AAA games which I don’t see that often with other publishers.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

kkslider5552000

People don't appreciate that Nintendo is a company that releases big budget games for more than 3 genres. Like I was thinking of what big company besides Nintendo would release a strategy game as a major console title, and the 2nd name that came to mind was Ubisoft...who made a Nintendo game with the idea (the first was SE, though their new strategy game is the first major one in a while). And I'm not even a huge strategy game fan but its like...so many companies would never do this.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

TheFrenchiestFry

@kkslider5552000 I think the thing is even if they are varied in terms of genre, the larger games that occupy a more familiar style are always bound to get more attraction

Like Microsoft and Sony have also done this to an extent with stuff like Halo Wars, Gears Tactics, Concrete Genie, Tearaway and some other examples, but in the case of Microsoft, I don't think those games would've gotten nearly as much traction without the Gears or Halo branding, and with Sony those games just go under the radar compared to your God of Wars and your Uncharteds and Last of Uses

I don't think that it's that people don't want to acknowledge these companies do more things, it's that not as many people really care.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket Xenoblade 2 isn't superior to the original in every way. The story has tonal whiplash, and the characters are annoying shonen tropes. The Battles are also extremely sluggish.

Also, for me, I rather have the better graphics for third party games, as I don't really play games on the go, and I never take my switch out of the house for the main reason that it's way too big to actually do so properly.

kkslider5552000

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

Halo Wars, Gears Tactics,

I'm surprised I forgot about these.

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

I don't think that it's that people don't want to acknowledge these companies do more things, it's that not as many people really care.

I mean, that's true enough but that's because sometimes companies fail to play the long game. Demon's Souls, Monster Hunter and Persona all used to be pretty niche outside of Japan and yet...here we are.

Ralizah

Snaplocket wrote:

Also Xenoblade 2 is a very good game and VASTLY superior to the mediocre original in every single way...... but yeah, the fanservice was one of the few times I genuinely felt uncomfortable in a game but it didn't happen that often anyway.

Agreed. If Xenoblade Chronicles ended with the first game, or even X, I wouldn't be a fan at all. XC2 definitely has its issues, but it also has a lot more soul, funnier humor, more likable characters, and overall better pacing than the original, IMO.

And yeah, the fanservice aspect is MASSIVELY overstated. Pyra could probably do with a less skimpy outfit, and a few of the rare blade designs are a bit too over-sexed. Boom. Done. No need to act like the game is Senran Kagura on steroids.

Despite the similarities between XC2 and the original, it's interesting seeing how they've both kinda cultivated their own respective fanbases that often seem to be at odds with one-another. I've seen a number of people start with XC2 and be disappointed by the original, and, of course, a lot of fans of the original are vocally critical of the sequel.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Buizel

I honestly couldn't place one over the other when it comes to Xenoblade 1 and 2. Imo 1 has the better story and music, but 2 has the better visuals and gameplay. And only marginally either way. Both excellent games imo.

X? Couldn't really get into it. Maybe if it comes to the Switch I'll give it another shot, but it just didn't seem to give me a drive to move forward like the other games.

At least 2'8".

kkslider5552000

I got to the end of chapter 3 of Xenoblade 2, and my impression thus far has been I like it exactly as much as X, despite them being fairly different to each other, all things considered. But that also means I much prefer 1. Both games have things they do better than the original, but the original I loved nearly every single thing about, which I can't say for the other 2 games.

but y'know, quality Nintendo series, lesser games in them are still often great, blah blah blah

I still kinda wish I loved X as much as the original btw. They really went all out with a new direction for it.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

VoidofLight

The only real thing I liked about 2 was it’s final chapter. Other than that, it was alright.. but I hope the next game is more like the original or X in terms of it’s combat/gameplay.

I-U

I've bought into the entirety of the Xenoblade Chronicles series solely because of how amazing the first is in spite of having a combined playtime of maybe 40 hours in the entries that followed. I do still want to give X, 2 and Torna another go, but it's very hard for me to go back to games like these that require quite a commitment to see through.

I don't think Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are the best on the Switch. Super Mario Odyssey is the perfect example of a game suffering from having more content just to have more content. There are a ton of Power Moons to get, but many of them barely feel rewarding to collect. I would say it's a great Super Mario game from start to credits. Its post game takes away from the overall experience though, and I'm not sure if it's a Top 5 3D Super Mario game partly due to that.

I'm more of a fan of Breath of the Wild, but at best I think it's my third favorite game on Switch behind both Xenoblade Chronicles DE and ARMS. In its own series, I don't think Breath of the Wild is head and shoulders above what Zelda has offered before. I still prefer Phantom Hourglass for the experience it offers while taking near full advantage of the Nintendo DS. One aspect of a game that's easy for me to reflect on and make comparisons with is the boss line-up, and Breath of the Wild may be the worst Zelda game in that one aspect. In general, the enemy variety really held BoTW back in spite of how good the game otherwise is with openness and exploration.

Ring Fit Adventure to me is up there as well among the best Switch games. In a few more sessions, I think I would rank it above Breath of the Wild with how the experience has been going.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

VoidofLight

@I-U Honestly, I feel like BOTW 2 might fix the issues BOTW had with it's lack of interesting story and lack of interesting dungeons/bosses. Mainly because BOTW 2 will be a chance for the developers to hear proper fan feedback and work off that to make it an even better experience.

kkslider5552000

In hindsight, I'm not sure I agree about dungeons. Like yeah, they're too short, they could use more unique elements to each one. But for what they are, they were really cool. They just need to...expand them and diversify them. I don't think their solution to there only being 4 smaller dungeons in a much larger Zelda being to have countless shrines was quite the solution it needed to be (especially since shrines = load times, every time).

Imagine an Ancient Cistern or Stone Tower Temple worthy Devine Beast. That sounds like the best thing ever.

VoidofLight

@kkslider5552000 The problems with Divine beasts are that they’re all the same. You do one, and you’ve done them all. Not to mention the weak enemy placement, puzzles, and bosses. The bosses weren’t the best at all, since they were mostly just the same boss but a different element.

Snatcher

@kkslider5552000 The divine beast are ok for me but I didn't really like how short they were to, I needed to feel like they were a whole level, and the bosses were -_-.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Balta666

Snaplocket wrote:

Also Xenoblade 2 is a very good game and VASTLY superior to the mediocre original in every single way...... but yeah, the fanservice was one of the few times I genuinely felt uncomfortable in a game but it didn't happen that often anyway.

Thanks you! I would not say the first one is mediocre but for me XC2 is a better game in everything (better story, characters, gameplay, music, artstyle)

Eric258

I would also have to agree that I found XC2 a more enjoyable experience. Don't get me wrong, this first game is great but I just felt way more invested in the second game's characters and story. Just made me care more about them. Also heavily prefer the gameplay and the music... god the music is soooo good. The first game had awesome music but just can't see how people rank it above the second game's ost. Just so many bangers!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2601-9990-4610
Super Mario Run Friend Code: 1391-4403-4742
Fire Emblem Heroes Friend Code: 1332698932
Twitter: @Eric258kip

VoidofLight

I guess I’m in the niche group of people who really don’t like 2’s cast. Rex just feels like a generic shonen protagonist with nothing unique about him or interesting. His voice actor also isn’t great at all..

Nia just felt like Melia 2, but not even half way as interesting.

Zeke is alright, probably the best out of the main cast.

Morag has no real reason to exist. Game would literally be the same without her.

jump

I thought the bosses weren't identical, there's just enough differences between them to say they are different rather than unique but I do miss the old skool Zelda bosses where it wasn't just whack them to the health bar is zero.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic