Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 8,381 to 8,400 of 12,088

VoidofLight

Honestly, for me, almost every first party switch release disappointed me in one way or another except for BOTW and Xenoblade DE

Kirby Star Allies lacked in content at launch, Super Mario Party was effectively the same, but no updates, New Horizons was also pretty much the same, but the updates barely add to it.

Then you have Odyssey, where the gameplay is alright, but the moons feel a bit over saturated, and the Kingdoms are really small.

Sword and shield were letdowns due to the lack of post-game content, while Let’s Go was actually alright honestly.

Three Houses isn’t that great graphically, and I’m not a huge fan of tactic games, and Mario + Rabbids is the same for at least gameplay.

BOTW is probably the only game that I enjoyed which doesn’t let me down, and actually fits my expectations. It didn’t cut content to update in later, and it had a huge world to explore, as well as loads of additional things to do. While the story and dungeons were weak, it’s still a pretty great game.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

1UP_MARIO

I liked odyssey, it’s fun first time around but it’s not a game I like to replay unlike Mario64/galaxy2

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

jedgamesguy

@VoidofLight I’m inclined to agree with your main point, of course there’s some places it differs. Breath of the Wild is a once in a generation masterpiece that treated all of the time I spent with it as precious. Xenoblade Chronicles was already a masterpiece held back from true perfection by graphics, and the Switch remaster fixed this in sensational style.

But as you say every other game has flaws. Xenoblade 2 has borderline uncomforting fan service, Mario Odyssey’s worlds are small and stuffed with moons like a goose liver, Mario Kart 8 DX has no DLC at all, Mario Maker 2 doesn’t have many premade courses, Link’s Awakening targets 60fps but stutters at times (plus the dungeon editor sucks) and so on and so forth. A few of the ports like DKC: Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, NSMBUDX, add almost nothing on top of a full priced game, and Mario 3D All-Stars is such a barebones collection as well.

But there are other instances of games whose flaws are just superficial. I firmly believe Dragon Quest XI is one of the best RPGs of all time, and there was nothing inherently wrong I could find with it after playing through the game three times. FE: Three Houses could get repetitive (especially pre-time skip) but seeing the story from a new angle every time was, frankly, really cool.

Pattern? Zelda games are king and Mario is trash! ;p

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

1UP_MARIO

Wavey84 wrote:

With something like Mario 64, you feel like you're one with the controller.

I like this statement.

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

jedgamesguy

@Wavey84 I agree, Mario 64, 3D World, and Odyssey have the best controls of any Mario game I've played, whereas Sunshine is just pure garbage, and Galaxy's is good, just too slow.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Euler

Galaxy is plenty good enough on its native hardware. Not sure about the 3D All Stars version.

Euler

VoidofLight

@Euler The only good thing about the 3D All Stars version is how pretty it is.

anynamereally

@VoidofLight agree, 1st party support is pretty weak this gen. for me it was XBC2 and Mario Odyssey that made to the list of worthwhile titles (and BOTW, but technically it was a Wii U game for me).
All in all, I'm waiting for something meaningful, but I'm afraid it'll only come at the end of a Switch lifecycle(

anynamereally

jump

I'm surprised so many people are complaining about the Switch's games to be honest. Even without BOTW and Odyssey (or even Xenoblade, Animal Crossing or Monster Hunter which I have no interest in) there's enough top tier games for me to warrant buying a Switch as well as some nice departures from the norm.

I do feel that this forum is too obessed with release schedules and Nintendo's big games rather than the actual games out. Like people can't have fun with Valkyria Chronicles 4, DOOM and Catherine because it's not Nintendo or Luigi's Mansion 3, ARMS and Cadence of Hyrule as they are the lessers of Mario and Zelda.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

VoidofLight

@jump I mentioned first party games exclusively. There are some pretty good third party games, but I rarely play any that aren’t exclusives on the switch itself. I have a ps4, so I’d rather have the better graphics for things like Persona 5 Strikers or Digimon Cyber Sleuth.

jump

@VoidofLight My comment wasn't aimed at you exclusively, I would have @ you otherwise ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

VoidofLight

@jump ah. I was just giving better reason to why I feel the way I do, even though you meant in general.

Matt_Barber

Lots of people get games for another platform as well as the Switch, so the cross-platform ones are going to be considerably less interesting too. I'd usually buy them on PC unless the ability to play handheld is worth the trade-off in graphics and performance.

Still, I get that the Switch also has lots of relatively low-key exclusives as well as the big first party games. I've had a lot of Urban Flow lately after picking it up in the sale with for some gold points.

Matt_Barber

ok1

So many people in this thread don't acknowledge any games besides Mario and Zelda's. There are so many first-party games, and you guys are ignoring them. Why do you only recognize 2017 games?

hello

jump

@ok1 Yeah, people's heads just go to Zelda and Mario when folk think of big AAA Nintendo games but I feel Ninty have done have done some really cool games this gen like Luigi's Mansion 3, Snipperclips, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Cadence of Hyrule, etc and I can appreciate some of the other efforts even if there's mixed results like Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, LABO, Mario Kart Live, Ring Fit Adventure, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 etc.

Nicolai wrote:

Losermagnet

I guess I single out BotW and Odyssey because I would confidently recommend them to anyone. While there are other awesome games on the system, I feel like maybe they have a limited appeal (relative to BotW and Odyssey). I love Hollow Knight, but I couldn't suggest it's for everyone.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Sunsy

@ok1 Some of my unpopular opinions acknowledge games like Sonic Boom and Balan Wonderworld. I always thought people like Mario and Zelda never considered them unpopular unless it's something like "I don't enjoy the Zelda games" (using this as an example as I do enjoy the series). Personally, I do enjoy other Nintendo published games like Kirby, Splatoon, Tokyo Mirage Sessions just to name a few.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

jump

@Losermagnet Not to be contrarian but I would say Mario Kart and Smash Bros are more universal recommendations.

Whilst Zelda and Mario are great, if say my missus' brother who's not played games since college or a younger teen asked about a game I'd go for those two since they are instantly gratifying games and even "hardcore" gamers like them. I've actualy got two teenage baby brothers and both of them complained about Zelda being boring. Smash and Mario Kart are common ground for us to play as I'm not keen of their preferred games of FIFA, Fotnite and Overwatch. I can't even get those little scallywags to play Borderlands or DOOM with me despite them loving fps Overwatch.

Although if a gamer did ask for recommendations I'd probably skip Mario and Zelda since I'd assume they would know Zelda and Mario are good any way.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Losermagnet

@jump those are the two games that I flip-flop on whether they're "must owns" or not. Mostly because they're more multiplayer focused. But I prefer single player games so that's my bias I s'pose.

I mentioned this in some other thread recently, but I think the strength of the Switch is amazing variety. It makes me feel a bit silly when I'm ruminating over what the best games are because our lists are probably very personalized. My favorite games on my Switch aren't games I would likely recommend to anyone unless I knew it suited their tastes.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic