Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 8,201 to 8,220 of 12,088

jump

On the topic of the Pokemon cartoon, I thought the the Kanto season was alright for the most part, it didn't have the pacing problems of the other seasons where any and every Pokemon needed an entire episode to fill out the episode count for the season. Not that I would bother watching any season of Pokemon now though, I've don't have the time to watch actually good shows let alone something I know is gonna be rubbish. ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

VoidofLight

Bravely Default II's weight system isn't bad honestly. It helps with the strategy aspect of the game, until you get the higher asterisks which buff the weight stat.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Buizel

@kkslider5552000 Cheers! This will make great listening when I'm doing housework or something.

At least 2'8".

Oswinner

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is better than both DKC2 and Super Mario Bros 3. Oh yes.

I’m playing all three for the first time concurrently and Impossible Lair has me most gripped, followed by DKC2 and then SMB3.

All three are fantastic games mind you.

Edited on by Oswinner

Oswinner

kkslider5552000

I mean, its reasonable that some game somewhere would be able to outdo games that old. And yet looks at Star Fox 64, Yoshi's Island and Banjo Kazooie.

That being said, how old they are makes me look at those games kinda differently. Mario 3 in particular is not the best Mario game, and I don't think that's that controversial to say anymore, but its still a miracle of a game for NES in a way that later Marios almost can't be (or if they are, its only because a high profile 3d platformer existing from like 2007 through 2013 was a miracle by itself). That's why I kinda like the original Blaster Master more than Zero, despite the fact that Zero is obviously better. But for an NES game Blaster Master is an incredible achievement, while Zero is just another well made retro 2d platformer.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jedgamesguy

@Oswinner I don’t think that’s a very fair comparison, even between DKC2 and SMB3... the gap in technology is just too big to quantify. Comparing the first Yooka-Laylee to the second would be a more fair one in my view.

A comparison between the original SMB and SMB3 is difficult because it was on the exact same hardware yet looked very different.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

jump

@TheJGG Comparing YL2 to DK or SMB3 makes more sense than comparing it to YL1, YL1 is a 3D collectathon whilst YL2 is a 2D platformer. It would be like comparing New Super Mario Bros to Super Mario Sunshine.

It's a fair comparison as it's more of statement that YL2 is a top tier classic 2D platformer and SMB3 and DK2 are still standard setters.

I really like YK2, it brought new ideas and it's fun. DKCRTF edges it as the best 2D platformer in the last 10 years imo as the boss fights are better but YK2 is great.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Oswinner

@TheJGG as @jump says, I was only comparing similar 2D platformers against each other. And of course, there is a 25 year+ gap between them so YL2 should win. But when I read a lot of people’s opinions they still think DKC2 and SMB3 are better. Which I disagree with, although DKC2 and SMB3 are still remarkable games to this day.

I haven’t tried DKC:TF yet, really looking forward to it. Will get to it after I’ve finished DKC2, DKC3 and DKC:R...!

Oswinner

Euler

kkslider5552000 wrote:

That being said, how old they are makes me look at those games kinda differently. Mario 3 in particular is not the best Mario game, and I don't think that's that controversial to say anymore, but its still a miracle of a game for NES in a way that later Marios almost can't be (or if they are, its only because a high profile 3d platformer existing from like 2007 through 2013 was a miracle by itself).

I'd not be so sure about that, there's a good case for it to be the best Mario game. Based on Nintendo Life user rankings, it's in third place behind only World and 3D World + Bowser's Fury (the latter of which isn't credible since it has only 75 user ratings rather than thousands like other Mario games have). Granted, there are some incredibly stupid opinions there (Lost Levels and 64 DS should be higher).

https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/feature-every-2d-super-ma...
https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/feature-every-3d-super-ma...

Euler

Oswinner

Just completed Lost Levels a couple of weeks ago. Not a big fan of it. Was nice to play and say I’ve played it. No more than a 7/10 for me though.

The original is a 10/10 though. Timeless.

Oswinner

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket way too early to even tell frankly. Now if it looks the same as the teaser trailer in a few months from launch, then that’d be worrying.

BabyYoda71

Spirit Tracks is amazing and Ocarina of Time is horrible.
Super Mario Bros. is amazing and SMB3 is horrible.
1-2-Switch is amazing and Wii Sports is just okay.
Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival is AMAZING and... I don’t dislike any AC games lol.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket But what's the point in judging something if you don't know much other than a few seconds of an old build? That's like if I were to judge BOTW 2 based on the teaser trailer itself, which shows only a few minutes of a cutscene.

BruceCM

Well, the point of even a teaser is to give a little look .... &, after all, one assumes they're showing the best bit? No interest in Pokemon myself but since the BOTW 2 teaser is being mentioned, I'd say that does look great

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

BabyYoda71

@ToadBrigade
Spirit Tracks was my first Zelda game, so I might be being a bit biased, but Ocarina of Time is just okay. I think I just like the puzzles in Spirit Tracks better. In the Inside The Deku Tree part of OoT, I don’t like how whenever you run out of deku seeds you need to go back to the village and do some stupid repetitive things just to buy more.

SMB3 isn’t too bad, I just personally enjoyed the original better. I love the SMB3 soundtrack, I just think that it’s overrated since so many people think it’s the best 2D Mario game ever. One thing I absolutely despise about the original SMB is the castle levels where you just run around and guess where to go and hope you’re right. I don’t understand why anyone thought those were a good idea.

Wii Sports is a good game considering it’s free and I agree 1-2-Switch is really overpriced, but judging them based on the games themselves, 1-2-Switch is amazing to play with friends, Wii Sports is sort of boring if you don’t like sports and there’s only six games.

I just love Amiibo Festival, I was just playing it now. It’s a great game to play with friends and family and I just really enjoy it. I can understand why most don’t like it since it’s a board game and very different from your average AC game.

Oswinner

@BabyYoda71 I would like to know your Mario bros reasoning too.

I’m currently playing through SMB3 myself but I’m inclined to agree with you. For me, the reasoning is I really like the arcade style of trying to complete it in one go without a game over. Mario bros 3 seems too hard/long to try that achievement.

Still, it’s early days.

Edit: just seen your reply 25 secs before my post.

Edited on by Oswinner

Oswinner

BabyYoda71

@Oswinner I agree with that. I haven’t finished SMB3 so I’m not really a good judge.

VoidofLight

I don't like 2D mario. At all. I just feel bored when playing the older games, and I don't really care for them honestly. I started with the 3D Mario games, and they just feel way more innovative.

MarioVillager92

@Oswinner @BabyYoda71 As much as I love Super Mario Bros. 3, the one thing I would change about that game is to implement a save feature. The game desperately needed such a thing. You could use the warp whistles as a makeshift save feature though, if you were to play it on the original NES that is.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic