Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 8,121 to 8,140 of 12,088

BloodNinja

@TheJGG Of course it's what you would expect. We are talking about gaming, not exactly the deepest topic in the universe. So if you need to pat yourself on the back for a 50/50 guess, then you do you. And we are offering unpopular opinions, at that. I guess I should have expected that fan-boys are going to jump down my throat for talking trash about their beloved, ugly walking simulator. I wasn't expecting that in a thread designed for unpopular opinions.

Edited on by BloodNinja

BloodNinja

Buizel

I think Kid Icarus Uprising has great controls. The touch screen fills in the role of a second analogue stick, but offers greater precision. I actually wonder if a Switch port would control worse, although Splatoon works quite well with analogue+gyro so I guess that would be a good option.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

jedgamesguy

@BloodNinja No need to classify me as a fanboy, I’d give a much less rational argument if I was. And it depends on which demographic the creator of this thread meant when he named it. Unpopular according to whom?

If it applies to the fans then I’d surmise that you are in the minority when you say that this game is just a walking simulator by a has been developer. So there’s nothing wrong with your comment.

Of course I respectfully disagree but you know that already. Or so I think, seeing as how I’m just a fanboy.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

VoidofLight

Yeah, Botw is an exploration game. The world is built in a way where you’re going to explore it. Horses and fast travel are meant to be the way you traverse the world mainly, not just walking around. If you ride a horse, the 4 minutes in an empty place feels like nothing. And even then, the “empty” place isn’t empty. A lot of them contain secrets, like the ice area on the edge of the map which has a lot of caves.

Edited on by VoidofLight

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

BruceCM

Well, it is possible to have an 'open-world' game with more to do in each area, potentially ..... But Breath of the Wild did have a reason for being relatively 'empty', after all! Not a fan of Death Stranding to go in depth on that but it presumably does have some rationale behind being 'empty', as well
Just to help understand those choices

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

jedgamesguy

Here's one that'll upset more people; I don't like Haru Okumura, from Persona 5. She's very boring, has a questionable amount of forehead and her sociopathic tendencies really turn me off.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

VoidofLight

@TheJGG I don't really like how she comes in so late, and I don't like the whole Okumura foods arc either. It just felt like the weakest palace in terms of it's writing, and the events surrounding it. I heard it was better in Royal, but even then it still felt flawed.

jedgamesguy

@VoidofLight Okumura's Palace was a literal joke. All the Palaces felt like they dragged on at times but Okumura's Palace has this feeling the most. And Haru's coming in so late meant menial tasks like developing her Confidants / Social Links was such a rushed affair. After the fourth Palace, we should have stopped getting Phantom Thieves, and the game should have focused more on consolidating the base party members. Akechi's entire plot arc could have been moved up one, and the final three Palaces would have been after the new major deadline of October 20th. But that would have taken a ton of effort so it's not clear how this would have been solved.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

VoidofLight

@TheJGG Honestly, I agree. The palaces didn't really drag on for me, but I didn't really feel impressed by them either. I always felt that Akechi should've been introduced as an earlier party member, and he should've been built up more. More screen time with Joker, and hanging out as friends instead of just at the end where you get him once, then he betrays you. Not to mention I don't like how he was supposed to be your foil and ends up just dying the moment he truly reveals his true colors.

I also think that the base game peaks at Kamoshida's palace, as the Palace was one of the more cinematic ones in the game, and they really make you hate the guy, which you don't really feel like later down the line with the other villains honestly. The palace in Royal is probably where Royal peaks, and it's honestly my favorite in the entire game.

jedgamesguy

@VoidofLight Having listened to Gentle Madman recently I can very much agree that Royal's Palace was one of the best if not THE best dungeons in the whole game. It was as you say, Maruki's character was just amazing, really well executed and flawlessly voice by Ferdinand von Ae- I mean Billy Kametz. His sorrow was so human, and so horrible that it was impossible for me to truly see him as a genuinely bad person. He was the same as Joker; wronged by the world and left behind for dead, but Joker made a change whilst Maruki let his hate warp him.

Kamoshida's Palace was also yes, very cinematic. The villains become a bit less fresh as you progress, and for me the first three bosses, namely Kamoshida, Madarame and Kaneshiro, were very similar in personality, meaning there was very little change in dialogue structure for them. Kamoshida's of course hit home the most not only because it was the first, but also because it tackled the more risqué sin of the seven; lust.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

VoidofLight

@TheJGG Not to mention with Kamoshida, you get to truly see what he did, and you see the effects going on around you the entire time. You grow to hate the man because he's always in the hallways berating you for your existence, and they generally did a good job. The others never really hit for me since they were either too similar, or not actually built up. Shido is supposed to feel like this really powerful and evil character, but I felt nothing towards his defeat, unlike how I felt with Kamoshida honestly. Madarame was also apparently supposed to have a scene where it actually showed him leaving Yusuke's mom for dead, but they cut it for some reason.

As for the Royal content, it felt really refreshing that Maruki himself wasn't a straight up villain, but moreso a morally grey character, who made you question a couple of things, such as how his reality isn't inherently evil, but it's still no good since he's running from his problems. I also just really enjoyed how well written the content was, and how well integrated it was. They went as far as to put Maruki in the background of a scene where Ann, Joker, and Ryuji got back from Kamoshida's palace. Maruki felt like he could've honestly been in the base game itself, that's how seamlessly he was written.

jedgamesguy

@VoidofLight Very good points indeed. It became difficult to truly appreciate the levity of the situations at hand because none of the villains after Kamoshida were as omnipresent as he was. It would have been very fascinating if you could run into Shido in the street or something. Only Shido, because as a public orator (like No Good Tora) he'd spend time rallying for support. Okumura's a businessman, so no. The whole point of Kaneshiro's Palace is taking down an invisible enemy, though the Thieves' finding him was so luck of the draw..

As for Maruki I'd say he's one of the best written villains in anything I've ever seen in my life, and I've watched a good number of films and have read a lot of books. To quote Todd Howard; it just works.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

VoidofLight

@TheJGG With Maruki, it definitely hits harder, since you're required to spend time with him if you want the Royal content at all, and he's pretty present in the situation. You even pretty much become friends with the man.

I also wish that Shido was present more in general through the game, and that you got to see more of him mistreating others as well as more getting to know the character's motives. I know that hey build him up a bit with the director guy, but it wasn't as effective as Maruki or Kamoshida were.

jedgamesguy

@VoidofLight Funnily, with Shido I actually thought to myself as I encountered him in the Wilton Hotel Buffet room just after Kamoshida's Palace; I feel like we're gonna get this particular guy at one point. I'm glad to be right, he was pretty deplorable in the limited interactions we got with him.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

Snatcher

@Sunsy Same here, its nice to know we have the same feeling about Metacritic.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Matt_Barber

Despite Metascores being a terribly bad idea, I do think Metacritic does a good job in terms of giving you a one stop shop for all the reviews. At least that way you can deliberately pick out the people whose opinions you give a damn about, or just look for the outliers.

Matt_Barber

VoidofLight

Here's one I just thought of: I'm probably the only one who really doesn't like Dragon Quest 11. I played it up until I got to the final dungeon, and I just couldn't bring myself to get past it. I played the original ps4 release, and the music itself was just horrid. The story wasn't anything to really write home about either, as it was mainly just the generic JRPG plot, with nothing really interesting to save itself. The only thing I probably did like about the game had to be the graphics themselves, but that was pretty much all.

jedgamesguy

@VoidofLight Allow me to give my two cents. I played the Switch version, so I played the entire game with the orchestral soundtrack. I cannot stress this enough, the MIDI soundtrack is easily the worst soundtrack I have ever listened to. I’m not a fan of torture but if I was I would listen to that.

The story was admittedly quite boring but there was a bit going on. It reminded me of an anime in that there were several self contained stories that begin as soon as you walk into town. The writing and voice acting however, makes up for it massively. They obviously knew what they were doing when translating the Japanese script, and the voice acting is extremely on point.

The world design itself is very good. I like the regional dialects and the obvious reflections of real world societies and cultures, like Lonolulu (Hawaii), Sniflheim (Scandinavia), Laguna di Gondolia (Venice, Italy), Pnomh Nonh (Cambodia), Arboria (Ancient Greece), Hotto (Japan), and the Medal Academy (France). It really reinforced the idea of travelling the world, and seeing all sorts of cultures. Only things I’d criticise is how the name same background music plays for every single area. Having the Switch version was good because I could swap over to the Dragon Quest 8 Overworld Theme instead, which in my view makes the original song look like garbage.

Another thing I’d point out is the very similar character models for children, men, women, and elderly. It’s extremely easy to tell that the old woman in one area is the same as the old woman in another, just with orange hair and glasses. But the models are good, and fun to look at.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

VoidofLight

@TheJGG I guess another thing that probably hindered the experience for me had to probably be that I did literally none of the side quests for the game as well.

jump

I always have trouble with the video games are art arguments (which is different to me than games can be artistic), mainly as the games that get cited are terrible examples especially when it's just moving to cut scene to cut scene or having multiple path endings.

However there is something which has slightly swayed me on that which are video game difficulties as a strength of argument for games as an artform. Something like Catherine Full Body where the sense of urgency to complete the stages coming from playing it on higher difficulties is a great way to convey the panic the main character is feeling who is under pressure story wise to take action but doesn't. This is something that other mediums like books or movies don't have as a story telling option, like how first person narrative works very well in books and is more often than not complete pish in movies.

So TLDR Metal Gear Solid's cut scenes are silly and Catherine being hard is actually a work of art. ;p

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic