Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 8,101 to 8,120 of 12,088

jedgamesguy

@Zeldafan79 I'd prefer a new game every two years, to strike a blend between getting a good game and not waiting too long. It's not like Nintendo's short-staffed, so they could make a Zelda team just for that. They may already have one, with Aonuma, Fujibayashi and co but still. I actually agree with all your points, and although I don't play Assassin's Creed they keep churning the out so I imagine they're compromising quality and true depth.

@BloodNinja I've always stressed that Breath of the Wild is an incredible game, but as a Zelda game borderlines decent to average. The things that should be fixed are varied but most importantly dungeon design; a five year old could beat the Divine Beast dungeons. The open world design was very good, without considering the fact that this was Nintendo's first open world game ever. When you do consider that, it becomes very clear why Nintendo game design is so revered.

@VoidofLight The game physics are what draw me back every time to the world, they're truly addicting. Messing around with the game physics makes for some very creative options of travel, and seeing speedruns evolve throughout the years is great. And as my comment pointed out, the honeymoon period for this game was over a while ago, so I doubt it's unpopular, so much as, underappreciated.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Snatcher

You know I really love this thread its a good place for people to go and say stuff like "I think BOTW is trash" without the sky falling.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

jump

@Snatcher Personally I'm bored of seeing "I don't like popular game as it's actually bad" over and over again in the thread, it's not that interesting of a topic. I'd rather see people making the case for why commonly thought of bad games are good, why divise controls/mechanics are valid and an alterantive take of controversial issues.

Sorry what I actually meant to say was that the anime game is thrash because it's popular like all popular anime thrash and has no story. ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Balta666

Matt_Barber wrote:

Surely the rating is just meant to be the TL;DR at the end of the review?

If you want to know what caveats there are to any recommendations you get, there's no substitute to reading the review. And while we're at it, reviews shouldn't just be dry breakdowns of how the game fares against a bunch of criteria; I want to read strong opinions, and if the writers can put these forward in an engaging fashion with a narrative that runs the length of the review, a heck of a lot less people would just skip to the scores at the end of them.

Sorting games by review scores, particularly aggregated ones like on Metacritic, seems particularly egregious to me. I'll usually just go on there and read the ones that give it the lowest scores to see if they've got a convincing argument as to why I shouldn't get the game. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes not. Surviving that test is generally going to tell you far more about a game than a swathe of 90%, 5/5, and triple thumbs up scores.

The most important thing for me in a review are the pros and cons section as I won't read a review of a game I want to play as I don't want to be spoiled by it

Edited on by Balta666

Snatcher

@jump I agree with you, It almost like if you love a hated sonic game your evil sonic fan, I don't really get it.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

jump

@Snatcher Well, my point was the thread is largely about just complaining about a popular game rather than having an unpopular opinion. Viewing a bad game as good is just as unpopular as saying a good game is bad yet talking about how the bad game works well offers more interesting insight than simply calling something overrated trash which is the norm in the thread.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Snatcher

@jump I get ya I get ya.

BloodNinja

@TheJGG I’m gonna have to disagree with the assessment about BOTW. I will say, from an open world/sand box style game, it does offer many options for the player. However, the game is vastly empty, with long stretches of bland, boring landscape. I could say the same for Skyrim, but when I’m playing that on my PC it looks gorgeous so while it has some long, empty stretches at least there is something breath taking to look at along the way. Same in Witcher 3. It suffers from the same long, empty sections but again, it’s gorgeous so there’s something for the player to sink their imagination into. So because BOTW’s empty areas aren’t justified like in more advanced games, it really kills the game for me.

Edited on by BloodNinja

BloodNinja

BloodNinja

@jump There are over 8,000 replies, I’m sure if you read through you’ll find what you’re looking for.

BloodNinja

VoidofLight

I don’t remember the world being extremely empty. There’s loads of areas and landmarks filling the place. Interesting ruins with chests, monster camps, shrines, and mountains. There’s tons to actually explore in the world. Open world games are bound to be a little empty anyways due to the sheer size of the world.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

BloodNinja

@VoidofLight It’s extremely empty, with long stretches of walking with nothing happening for as long as 4 minutes. That’s just excessive in a game as bland looking as botw! Which is a huge problem, because some of the stuff that you do encounter is actually fun. I just wish the game were more condensed so that you don’t have to hold “up” on the joystick meaninglessly.

Edited on by BloodNinja

BloodNinja

Solaine

@BloodNinja 4 minutes doesn't sound too bad actually. You can also take a horse if you are feeling too slow, warp if it is about convenience and less about exploring. Granted, after a certain point there is nothing really new to discover. I still think uncovering the map slowly and just enjoying the scenery for the first time takes enough time to feel more than satisfacted with the game.

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

BloodNinja

@Solaine Yeah, that’s way too long. I’m surprised that people stand for it, to be honest. Feels like they aren’t thinking about what is presented.

BloodNinja

Solaine

@BloodNinja Fair, i like just strolling around in open world games though

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

jump

@BloodNinja I see it as the complete opposite. It's because people are thinking about it that it's okay to presented like that, the purpose of BOTW's is to explore it and seeing things that catches your eye then going off to investigate it. It's not an action game where you need to be given things to fight constantly or you have to get from A to B as soon as possible to complete a quest.

Nicolai wrote:

jedgamesguy

@BloodNinja I doubt hardware power is a real excuse for an empty world, I suspect it’ll make little difference if the world has a few more things to do or not. And yes it’s an open world so of course there’ll be stretches of empty.

Have you heard of Death Stranding. I’d imagine you’d describe that game as boring, convoluted, and a waste of time excuse of a walking simulator. Game journalists were very polarised about it back in 2019 but the community itself sees it as a masterpiece. I having never played a Kojima game ever before, thought the same.

I do agree with @VoidofLight there is a ton to do. It’s not procedurally generated per se but it stays fresh for a long time. The enemy varieties are quite poor, yes, but the enemy tier system is not the worst substitute.

And if the game had a smaller world it would defeat the purpose of having an open world to begin with. It feels like it’s the perfect size for an open world game, and for me I am still discovering new things every day. And as @Solaine says you can just warp. Horses similarly, within five minutes of leaving the Plateau you can get a horse to speed up your journey. The Master Cycle Zero adds some fresh dynamic to the world but otherwise those are your methods of transport.

And you act as if this game is restrictive and deceitful. The physics can be exploited in a number of ways, including the flying machine minecart trick.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

BloodNinja

@jump I understand what it's purpose is, and I gave two examples of games that do the same thing leagues better. It would be great if the game were more condensed, or was more strikingly beautiful so that all the long, empty stretches were justified. I'm not here to argue about it endlessly, I thought the thread was for expressing unpopular opinions. I said what I said, doesn't mean I'm interested in getting into it with every user that disagrees.

BloodNinja

BloodNinja

@TheJGG Death Stranding is hot garbage directed by a has-been. The point is that the empty stretches need to be justified, like the examples I gave. At least Death Stranding is gorgeous to look at, so while you are walking doing nothing you can be wowed by something.

Edited on by BloodNinja

BloodNinja

jedgamesguy

@BloodNinja Sigh... you’ve said literally the exact thing I’d guess you’d say, whether intentional or not.

I’m on a mobile phone at the moment but kindly expect a lengthier post on why this game is a masterpiece. For now I’ll say that the game was such a novel concept, and took so many risks in game design, storytelling and mechanics.

I do have to say that the Mario and Princess Beach line is pure cringe.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Sunsy

Snatcher wrote:

It almost like if you love a hated sonic game your evil sonic fan, I don't really get it.

Happened plenty of times to me in the past with me @Snatcher. Especially being one of the few who enjoys the Sonic Boom games, and other less popular games in the Sonic games.

This kind of also adds to why I don't really like Metacritic scores. I can give my reasons why I like a game (not just Sonic, but with any game), some just will point to the score to why it's bad, like it's a fact. Even though these people usually don't play said game.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic