Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,801 to 7,820 of 12,088

Blooper987

@Zuljaras if you like darker anime you should watch Danganronpa: the animation and Danganronpa 3: the end of hope’s peak. They are a little fan servicey, but they’re really good and go against a lot of anime tropes.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

kkslider5552000

This is less controversial here than some places, but to continue something I've talked about for years now: there are very few games Nintendo Switch is actually missing out on because it is not as powerful as a PS4. The entire concept of missing out on games because Switch isn't powerful enough is somewhat close to a non-issue if you like a wide variety of games. I feel more confident about this now that we can look back on that generation. Obviously ignoring Ps4 exclusives that never came to Xbox (either first party or otherwise), the only big AAA games I can think of that have skipped Switch that interest me are Shadows of Mordor, Watch Dogs 2, Titanfall 2, the Garden Warfare games, Jedi Outcast, the THPS remakes, Persona 5, Red Dead 2, and a handful of Capcom and SE games. I'd maybe give another Souls game a shot despite mildly sucking at Dark Souls 1 on the 360 too. Maybe No Man's Sky now that its somewhat the game it was actually supposed to be.

That's not nothing but I'll probably end up getting as many JRPGs I've never played (or played enough of) for Switch by the end as I would the combination of those games I listed. And that's just like one genre. A genre I've barely touched so far on Switch.

But the reality is that if you like 2d platformers, 3d platformers, turn based RPGs, any big JRPG outside of new mainline Final Fantasy/Tales/KH, survival horror, non-realistic racing games, stealth games, Japanese action games, schmups, rogue-likes, sim games, single player FPS, fighting games, etc, its reasonable to assume those games will likely end up on Switch. Because the games too powerful for Switch are often made by people who have disregarded all of them, for the same couple of money making genres. (so that they can continue to never be as successful as even one year of Fortnite or Minecraft anyway)

And after Cyberpunk, Switch owners dodged a bullet if anything lol.

I really just hate the idea that because some of the big games skip Switch, the hundreds, maybe thousands of quality games don't count. Especially in an era where all the interesting and varied stuff more and more comes from indie gaming. It's also a bit like, I dunno, saying Netflix sucks because it doesn't have the handful of movies that HBO Max will be getting. Including the part where they ignore anything on HBO Max that isn't a heavily hyped movie, I'm sure some of the best Ps4 games were made by like 10 people lol.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

GilbertXI

I have mixed opinions on the state of Nintendo's third party library. Compared to anything after the GameCube it's a godsend, maybe even better than GameCube.

Issue is the hyperboles both sides of the argument use. People who say there are no good ports with a lower quality are really talking out of their ***. If you want the best quality ports, then get a PC( with notable exceptions of course, looking at you Arkham Knight). You need to make sure for yourself whether you think the trade-off is worth it or not, just don't regurgitate the same criticisms over and over again.

On the other side, yes, the third party state isn't as good as other consoles. Outer Worlds was a horrible port, for example, along with many others. I believe the main problem in this area is how the ports are made. Most ports are made by dumbing down the game after it's released, but if in the future there are games with smaller optimization teams for the Switch from the get-go, most problems would be avoided, but I have little experience as a programmer( as in I took a Java class in high school and like nothing else) so I am not the best source for this. Monster Hunter Rise for example is a good way to do it, make it for the switch then optimize it for PC if the rumors are true( have doubts as the story changes every week).

Another issue is that some publishers, notably EA, treated the Switch as it's some sort of poison up until like now. But seeing Capcom make strides to boost the Switch's third party library that may be subject to change. Also, when discussing almost every criticism of the Switch, people classify the Switch differently depending on what better suits their argument. It's a console when it comes to third party, it's a handheld when it comes to power, it drives me nuts, at least stick to one. I personally would classify it as a handheld myself, even though it really should be it's own thing. Point is, from the perspective that it is a handheld, the Switch library is EXTREMELY impressive.

Edited on by GilbertXI

GilbertXI

kkslider5552000

I think people don't realize or forget that the fact that it can run Doom competently and that Alien Isolation is apparently somehow in some ways BETTER than other console versions (I almost want to get it for that reason lol) took a lot of effort and clever programming and that it is not remotely easy, even compared to normal ports. It's at best, mildly less challenging than if they tried to release these games on a 360. So its inevitable that some of the ports are just not gonna be good.

They're a nice bonus on top of the Nintendo games, and indie games, and various, unending ports across basically every generation of gaming.

faint

Every modern console has a great library and is worth owning for one reason or another

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

GilbertXI

It still makes me chuckle that the Switch has the least broken version of Skyrim out of all of them. A perk about older games releasing on the Switch is we know they are the real deal.

GilbertXI

Matt_Barber

faint wrote:

Every modern console has a great library and is worth owning for one reason or another

Yeah, they're all good.

Even the Wii U and PS Vita have pretty strong libraries. It's just that people tended to get far more hyped up about the games that they weren't getting rather than the ones that were coming out.

Matt_Barber

Anti-Matter

@Matt_Barber
I disagree.
PS Vita games library for me is the worst from All PlayStation games library.
I only found two PS Vita games that caught my attention.
Only two games. (Reality Fighter & Pets)
PS Vita games library that i found were really disaster.
I don't even like hentai Otome games, Mainstream sport games (football, basketball, NHL, etc), rated 18+ Action games, rated 18+ JRPG games, Western super heroes games, Western franchises. Terrible, not even i could call video games.
Where are cartoonish games?
Where are games for kids?
Where are games with appropriate contents?
Very contrary with 3DS, Tons of cute and cartoonish games, girly games, quirky games, mostly for kids, the genre i always looking for.

There were other PS Vita games that actually caught my attention, but i already have their other version (PS3, Switch, PS4) with better peformance such as Sly Cooper games, Ratchet & Clank Trilogy, FF X, FF X-2, World of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest Builders 1. I will not consider the PS Vita version when i already have those games on better version.

Anti-Matter

Clammy

I don’t understand why smash bros is popular.

I keep getting caught up in hype when new one is released, get excited about characters being announced, etc.

Then I try to play it, and I don’t get why it’s popular at all.

There are many games I hate, I hate most FPS games (for example), but I do understand why other people like them. With smash, outside the hype, I have no idea.

Clammy

Anti-Matter

@Clammy
I think it was from the gene, DNA structure that built the brain cell neurons.
Some peoples were born with brain cells that translate FPS games / Smash Bros games as something interesting while for some other peoples with different brain neurons translate those games as something Blah.
It was about geometric shapes, color compositions, melodic compositions and people's personality.

Also, i never like Smash Bros games in the slightest anyway.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Wargoose

@Clammy Smash Bros it's really simple, its the ultimate cross over where 4 people pick their favourite character and try and smash each other into oblivion. There's an amazing level of detail in the way characters move and attack which makes it feel completely legit. You can answer playground questions of who would win, sonic or Mario, cloud or Link and do it in hilarious ways. Cloud wins he hit him with hammer, after jigglypuff put him to sleep with a lullaby.

Wargoose

Ralizah

@Zuljaras Anti-Matter is ALWAYS serious, as far as I can tell.

@faint I'm not sure there's much of a reason to own an Xbox One/Series X is you have a decent PC.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Clammy

@Anti-Matter : ah, see I don’t like FPS games, but I understand what people like about them. I’ve played a hell of a lot of FPS games to figure out what makes a good one or a bad one. If I was given one to review in a vacuum, I’d guarantee any objective review from me on said FPS, would align with a fans thoughts.

But smash, I just don’t get.. I understand appeal of characters, and hype.

But the gameplay leaves me scratching my head as to why it’s popular...

I know this is unpopular opinion, but isn’t that point of thread?

Clammy

Solaine

@Clammy @Anti-Matter I can see why you wouldn't like smash bros actually, i have one friend who, although i think i tried everything never got into the series and well there are several different reasons for that. Thinking about it, the only reasons i love smash are:

1. It being a great party game
  2. It having an awesome story mode which i can play together with friends(only brawl)
  3. It being my competition game with my besty
  4. Online fights
    So, well out of those 2 falls out for ultimate and 1 only very occassionally works (especially now). for online you gotta get nintendo online and live with lags and very frustrating fights. That leaves 3. which is my only reason to play the game at all these days.

So personally, it makes a lot of sense why you wouldn't want to like smash very much. I am curious now if you are into fighting games at all though?

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

kkslider5552000

Honestly he almost has a point. Some people are not hardwired to enjoy certain things because of X and Y factors. I actually know people who can't deal with fast paced first person games for that matter, like it actually makes them feel uncomfortable. Or like how some people just can't deal with VR games.

I'm assuming he means that in that way, and not in an inherently negative way.

Matt_Barber

Ralizah wrote:

I'm not sure there's much of a reason to own an Xbox One/Series X is you have a decent PC.

Most people don't have decent PCs though, at least compared to the recommended standards of modern AAA games.

Xbox also has a nice ecosystem with things like backwards compatibility and GamePass. Sure you can go out and buy all your games again for PC or PS4/5 but if you already have stacks of the from the original Xbox and 360 eras, that's pretty handy.

Matt_Barber

Ralizah

@Matt_Barber

I'm not saying there's no reason for anyone to own an Xbox. I'm saying that, for a lot of people, there's no real reason to own an Xbox, because the console has no exclusive features or games that you'll miss out on otherwise. Thus I'm disagreeing with the notion that "every modern console ... is worth owning for one reason or another."

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic