Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,761 to 7,780 of 12,088

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry Games need to look visually appealing on some level to be successful and to make a good impression on most people. But "visually appealing" doesn't necessarily mean Naughty Dog-level realism, 4K graphics, etc. More often than not, a game only really needs solid art direction to succeed. That's why a PS3 game like Persona 5 managed to impress in 2017 when, by any objective metric of analysis, the game was positively primitive compared to other games on the PS4.

With that said, one important thing to keep in mind is that the standard for what is acceptable on a handheld is lower than what is acceptable on a home console, and that's also going to vary from person to person. I personally wouldn't want to play something like The Outer Worlds on Switch in its current state, but I'm also not going to tell someone that their enjoyment of the game is illegitimate because it doesn't align with some platonic ideal of game performance. What is especially annoying is when people who behave like this for Switch ports ignore the severe performance/presentation deficits in PS4/Xbone versions of games like Control, Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, etc., where such deficits are even less acceptable in general due to the lack of hybrid functionality on those consoles.

Unless you're playing on a top of the line PC, all of your gaming experiences are going to be compromised to some degree. How tolerant you are of performance/presentation deficits will depend heavily on your expectations for the platform and how much you enjoy gaming on one platform vs another.

So there's really no need to "justify" playing a Switch game at 540p30 vs 900p30 or even 4K60. It all comes down to your priorities as a gamer.

I imagine those of us who grew up with consoles that regularly ran 3D games at 20fps like the N64 are even more tolerant, in this regard. If "the greatest game of all time" was enjoyable at a substandard framerate, I have a really hard time swallowing that modern games that generally tend to perform better are somehow "unplayable."

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Matt_Barber

@theJGG It's worth noting that a lot of dialogue during the maid scenes was changed in the localization. The original version is more... erm... honest, to put it mildly, but presumably needed toning down to avoid a mature rating.

And yes, it's something that Japanese people obviously find really funny, because it's such a widely employed trope across all their media, but just comes across as really cringey to a Western audience.

For what it's worth, I found the running food gags in X fell just as flat but at least they were never going to affect the game's rating.

Matt_Barber

Wargoose

@Ralizah where I notice it the most is in split screen games, seeing a game go from 60fps in single player, to sub 30fps in 4 player is jarring. Racing games in particular, you lose the sense of speed.

Then there are oddities like deadly premonition where art direction, technical performance, soundtrack and gameplay are all objectively bad. Yet it's still charming as hell.

Edited on by Wargoose

Wargoose

Ralizah

@theJGG @kkslider5552000 I guess you could remove the maid skit (which I personally found to be very amusing) and Tora's weirdness in that regard from the game, but you'd also be removing an element of Tora's characterization as well, along with one of the layers of how he relates to the rest of the cast. And this is generally why I like the frequent humor in XC2: it's humor grounded in the flaws and quirks of the central cast, which helped to humanize them for me. It's also a nice reminder of how JRPGs used to be allowed to be flat-out silly at times.

@Wargoose Yeah, it definitely matters more or less in some respects than others. One thing that annoys the hell out of me about the Switch port of Hyrule Warriors, for example, is how drastically the performance changes depending on how you play. I wouldn't mind if the game allowed the player to cap it at 30fps, but shifting from 45 - 60fps in docked mode down to 25 - 30fps in handheld mode is just jarring.

Deadly Premonition... I dunno. I can put up with some level of jank, but DP2's performance is genuinely atrocious. It's cool if someone else is willing to put up with it, but the "it's charming because it's bad" thing only works in very specific circumstances for me.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

I guess you could remove the maid skit (which I personally found to be very amusing) and Tora's weirdness in that regard from the game, but you'd also be removing an element of Tora's characterization as well, along with one of the layers of how he relates to the rest of the cast. And this is generally why I like the frequent humor in XC2: it's humor grounded in the flaws and quirks of the central cast, which helped to humanize them for me. It's also a nice reminder of how JRPGs used to be allowed to be flat-out silly at times.

I don't disagree with this, but the humor could be...um...good instead. Do the same things, except actually good. Literally every joke that failed I've seen done successfully before.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jedgamesguy

This can be considered unpopular; Xenoblade humour, for the most part, feels forced and artificial. Especially in 2, because of the maid jokes. And while I agree with @Ralizah once again, that it develops Tora and establishes him as some kind of perverted genius engineer, the humour feels forced in almost every scene.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Wargoose

For me the whole moogle has a sexbot thing, and some of the character design choices. Seem weirdly out of place. I'm not a prude, I love the Yakuza and Bayonetta games. It just feels like the tone shifts every so often to an odd place.

I think the Japanese RPG genre as a whole has an issue with relationships. There's very rarely a leading character in a JRPG, that feels like they've ever been on a date before.

They seem to prefer to write prolonged awkwardness, instead of two characters actually getting together.

Wargoose

GilbertXI

Majora's Mask is infinitely better than Ocarina of Time, although it's completely understandable if people don't like the time loop mechanic.

GilbertXI

kkslider5552000

The Mario 3D All Stars collection should've been cheaper, considering what it is.

Originally this would've been a suggestion that it costs too much for how much work was in it. But after a couple of months, its very obvious it should've cost less so that Nintendo could not try to pointlessly sink its own reputation as a relatively not evil video game company. Because Nintendo's often very good at releasing games that are actually worth full price, and they've had great PR even during a lot of the Wii U era for that. So maybe they just shouldn't have tried to risk that.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Munchlax

XC1 Humour > XC2 Humour generally > Any scene with Tora in it

Munchlax

Matt_Barber

@Slowdive You might think that Nintendo should remake three of their old games and sell them as a single package, but when they can realistically do that with just one of them, sell it at full price individually, and still get rave reviews, it's not going to happen. We'd instead have got three individual games released at the rate of one every couple of years if they'd taken their usual approach.

As it stands, I rather like the less is more approach with Sunshine and Galaxy. They look good, play very much the same (especially now that the controls are fixed on Sunshine) and their respective merits are more or less the same as when first released.

Mario 64 should have been a freebie for NSO though, and they should have put Galaxy 2 in there instead. That's my hot take.

Matt_Barber

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Those of us that grew up with ntsc Atari, nes, genesis, and snes found n64 performance insufferable. Just saying....

NEStalgia

DePurpleMonkey

I don't know about everyone else, but it seems that the business side of Nintendo has been on a downward spiral all year.

What are you looking at?

Dragwhite

I enjoy the driving and job sections of the original No More Heroes' game.

Epic by epic games

Wargoose

@Dragwhite I don't enjoy them, but I prefer the overall structure of the 1st game.

Wargoose

Dragwhite

@Wargoose I have yet to play 2 yet, tho I really enjoyed 1's open world even if it was lacking in many areas.

Epic by epic games

Guest88

Nintendo ruined Xenoblade 2 by using anime graphics. Anime is trash.

Guest88

Anti-Matter

@Guest88
Depend on the drawing atyle.
There are some character design looks appealing, other just meh for me.
And you cannot call anime style drawing as trash because i like some anime style drawing.
Depend on who is the artist.
I don't like the Western looking style instead, most of Western style are too over saturated like Marvel drawing style.

Anti-Matter

Matt_Barber

@Guest88 'Anime graphics' is such a meaningless term. Anime is just the Japanese word for animation, so unless you've got a video game that's entirely made up of still images or live action footage, it's anime.

I'd think that what people really mean when they call Xenoblade 2 'anime style' and such is that it's tending towards the trashy end of the genre. You know, the kind of shows where you've got some dorky teenage guy at the centre of a cloud of scantily clad and implausibly proportioned girls, usually
alien/demon ones. To my mind that's what it's problem is.

If they were instead going for the look of, for example, a Hayao Miyazaki movie there'd be a lot less complaints. It'd be no less anime though.

Matt_Barber

Zuljaras

@Guest88 I agree with you.

@Matt_Barber Back in the day the "Anime" was good. By that I mean Vampire Hunter D, Berserk, Dominion Tank Police and Ranma 1/2.

From the more modern ones I prefer Pokemon, Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh (if you call that anime ofc.)

EVERYTHING else in that category (for me) is absolute garbage/trash.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic