Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,701 to 7,720 of 12,088

kkslider5552000

I'm more just indifferent to silent protagonists. Occasionally its a notable negative or positive, but mostly they just exist.

But BAD talkative protagonists (especially in otherwise good games) are 1000X worse than silent ones, unquestionably.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

LzWinky

I for one love Sora screaming "RIKU! Riku? RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

TheFrenchiestFry

@LzWinky "KAIRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII"

"I do know hurt"

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Cotillion

GilbertXI wrote:

Silent protagonists are a mixed bag for me. Something like Link or the dragonborn makes sense to me, but if there were to be a silent protagonist in a linear game(with the exception of some jrpgs, and as mentioned before LOZ) it would feel stilted or even lazy on the devs part. Depends on how it's implemented i think.

Implementation is key. I think I mentioned the Half-Life games earlier when someone else said something about silent protagonists. I find those games very immersive because of how they did it, by going all the way with how you only see and hear what Gordon does. There's no cutscenes explaining stuff that the main character doesn't know, or cutscenes of characters that are in a different locale. It makes you the character and you only know what he does. I wouldn't like that all the time in all games, but I thought they did a very good job of making the Half-Life games that way.
Metroid pulls this off well too (well, it used to before they decided for whatever reason to start deviating from that). It was part of the isolating feeling of those games. That you were truly alone against your enemies.

On the other side of it, a lot of chatter can be difficult to pull off too, whether it's the protagonist or other characters. Kid Icarus Uprising I didn't mind because I was still able to play while characters talked as opposed to stopping everything for a 20mins exposition. Same thing in the Portal games, though Portal went even further by having well written, often funny dialogue.

Cotillion

Vinny

I feel Twilight Princess was just ok. I don't dislike it, just to me there isn't much that stands out.
Even the wolf mechanic doesn't make a lot of difference imo.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

GilbertXI

@Shadowthrone completely agree with everything you said. Although I do think Samus not being a silent protagonist could actually work, but you know, not how Other M did it.
@Vinny how dare you

GilbertXI

Eel

"As I found myself shooting randomly at the ceiling hoping to find a destructible wall with a hidden energy tank expansion, I could not help but think back to my struggles as a rebellious young woman. Always trying to find that hole in the wall of society I could fit in, but always rejecting any opportunity for help I received. I now know how foolish I was, but part of me finds reassurance in knowing that my childish mistakes helped me become the person I am today. My most feared thought is, however, who would I be today had I taken those opportunities."

(This is where the flashback cutscene begins)

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

kkslider5552000

Vinny wrote:

I feel Twilight Princess was just ok. I don't dislike it, just to me there isn't much that stands out.
Even the wolf mechanic doesn't make a lot of difference imo.

You're not wrong, but that's kinda why I love Twilight Princess. It didn't focus on new ideas that radically changed everything and could just focus on being a really good Zelda game.

kkslider5552000

VinniVinni wrote:

On the other hand there are much better Souls games than Dark Souls.

I hope you're somehow right, because I played Dark Souls a few years ago, and despite kinda sucking at it, it was obviously one of the best games I've played in the past decade. So the games you're talking about must be like unbelievable masterpieces.

Though on the other hand, Dark Souls would've been a vastly better game without having to constantly fight easy enemies for minutes in order to get to retry a boss fight, so maybe being much better than Dark Souls is unsurprising. :V

TheFrenchiestFry

@kkslider5552000 Bloodborne is easily the best one. Dark Souls 1 and especially Demon's Souls haven't aged the most gracefully (but the remake will probably amend that anyway so can't wait to play it).

Bloodborne is still my absolute favorite. It was made by SCE Japan and From Soft similarly to Demon's Souls, and like that game it's just oozing in atmospheric detail and worldbuilding. Dark Souls 3 is a close second though. Easily the best of the Dark Souls games for me.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Diddy64

@Shadowthrone Not to mention that it also depends on a person's taste. I for example like Adol Christin implementation in Ys VIII. I do agree with your statement though. I was one of those that liked some of the dialogs of Metroid Prime 3, but also disliked that there weren't as much log book information/lore as in the previous 2 games, if I recall correctly. Perhaps Prime 4 will rectify that.

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

LzWinky

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

@LzWinky "KAIRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII"

"I do know hurt"

I think he gave up on Kairi even before Chain of Memories

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Caryslan

I think Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World are the most enjoyable 3D Mario games. I love how they retain elements of the 2D games while letting you play around in 3D courses. I love the fact that Super Mario 3D World allowed you to play as four(or five) characters with each one having different play styles.

But in all honesty, I just like the obstacle course style gameplay and those two games capture it perfectly while keeping the game in 3D.

Barring Super Mario 64, I just have a hard time getting into the 3D Mario games for the most part. Sunshine and both Galaxy games bored the hell out of me or had annoying mechanics that just too me out of those games.

But 3D Land and 3D World are what I wanted in a Mario game, which is to run and jump around a course tossing fireballs at Goombas, dealing with tricky platforms and jumping, and gameplay that was close to the 2D games while playing like a 3D game.

Well, this is going to be an unpopular opinion, so I get my flame shield ready....

Caryslan

DePurpleMonkey

@Caryslan While I disagree with what you said about Galaxy and Sunshine, I almost completely agree with everything you said about 3D World 3D Land. I love the fact 3D world lets you play as characters that aren’t Mario. And I just love 3D Land to death.

What are you looking at?

MarioVillager92

@Caryslan 3D World is definitely one of my favorite Mario games. I also like how you can play as different characters like Peach and Toad, plus I really love the level design in that game. It has some of the most creative levels I had the pleasure to play on.

3D Land is just a little bit forgettable IMO, but it's still pretty good. Especially for a handheld Mario game.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

CITRONtanker

Lets see...

Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 are my least favorite mainline games. Most people I know torch me over this, but I just found them so soulless and bland. I love Black and White, they’re phenomenal games, but the sequels just don’t pull me in the same way. The music feels watered down, the main protagonists have stupid designs, and most of the characters, like N, don’t have as much personality to them. Or screen time. They’re fine, the games are functionally sound and look great overall, but I’m not a fan of em.

Shantae Risky’s Revenge... I love this series, but that game. No. Way too short- I know it was a DSiware game, but the game is so light on content and has practically no replay value beyond the alternate costume mode in the Director’s Cut. It also doesn’t really have much of an identity of it’s own, being just a straight up sequel to the original. I have Pirate’s Curse, 1/2 Genie Hero (duh) and Seven Sirens, and I plan on downloading the original for retro sake, but I’m skipping Risky’s Revenge- it’s not worth the complete collection.

I actually don’t like Yoshi’s Crafted World, straight-up. A beautiful game, lets get that right, but it has a lot of pitfalls- the game is way too easy, even for a Yoshi game, and on top of that, it has much less content than it claims to have. Making you replay a level while going backwards collecting Poochy Pups and doing fetch quests (in a Yoshi game, people) is no substitute for making more unique levels. And the music, at times, took me back to Yoshi’s New Island. It is by no means New Island bad, that’s way too harsh, but it’s a clear step back from Wooly World.

Mario Tennis Aces, in all honestly, isn’t really leagues better than Open. It has a great core tennis system and an amazing roster (filled with joke characters, my favorite type), but it’s startling how little content it has. The Story Mode is alright, but it’s far from perfect, and most alternate modes are locked to online events, which are limited time, not to mention subject to Switch Online lag. It’s a good game, better than Ultra Smash in every way, but I hope Camelot goes all out next time.

Finally... Kirby Canvus Curse is maddeningly frustrating, has a terrible soundtrack, and looks like someone spilt paint on my DS. Can we all pretend it doesn’t exist?

Buy Kirby and the Forgotten Land

kkslider5552000

These aren't really that unpopular y'know-

GigaMermaid wrote:

Finally... Kirby Canvus Curse is maddeningly frustrating, has a terrible soundtrack, and looks like someone spilt paint on my DS. Can we all pretend it doesn’t exist?

You monster : (

Wargoose

@TheFrenchiestFry I think a lot of bad voice acting, is actually bad writing. Kingdom Hearts is the king of this. Xenoblade Chronicles is also written in a strange way.

Shulk: I can't believe it's not butter
Dickson: Its definitely not Butter, I've tried it
Dunban: I also assumed, it was not Butter
Reyn: What is this Butter thing you're talking about?
Sharla: Maybe the Monado, reacted to the butter...
Shulk: But Dickson said it's not Butter
Fiora: Monado...
Shulk: Power of the Monado

It's like everyone needs to talk in a cutscene, even if they've nothing to add.

Edited on by Wargoose

Wargoose

Losermagnet

Wargoose wrote:

It's like everyone needs to talk in a cutscene, even if they've nothing to add.

I can't stand this. Persona 5 is several hours longer than it needs to be because every character has to rephrase whats already being said.

Starlink was probably my worst experience with this kind of writing. There were like 8 space cadets all chatting away redundantley from the safety of the mothership while I'm the only one getting shot at.

Edited on by Losermagnet

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic