Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,621 to 7,640 of 12,088

Matt_Barber

Yeah, if you like the 3D Mario games for their experimental and free-roaming elements, there's plenty to love about Sunshine.

It's only when it comes to playing it through to a finish that the full catalogue of annoyances it throws you way become apparent, and if you do want to 100% it, it's way more hardcore than any of the other 3D Mario games are.

Matt_Barber

kkslider5552000

I've 100% or at least attempted to 100% every 3D Mario except Sunshine. Because I've more than I had my fill each time I beat the game. Never even attempted all the blue coins, and probably didn't do most of the extra red coin shines in those secret areas either. And I assume a lot of that was because the gameplay is not strong enough to make me want to do that.

Compare that to BOTW, a game filled with filler content and yet I gladly put nearly 200 hours into it and would go back to it if I had the chance. Just because the core gameplay and world exploration were so strong.

So clearly, shrines > shines. :V

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

NEStalgia

@Magitek_Knight Are you sure you've been playing the pure platforming parts without the jetpack? The camera is broken for them and it makes them positively infuriating. Moreso coupled with finite lives that send you back to the plaza when you die. That is not a nicely paced chill game.

NEStalgia

Magitek_Knight

@NEStalgia I've played a couple of hours worth and it's been chill so far.

Then again my previous after work chill game was Bloodborne so...I do like a little stress in my chill. Deliberate pacing is what I really want in an after work game.

I didn't like Breath of the Wild, have I mentioned it yet today?

NEStalgia

@Magitek_Knight LOL, a "little" stress?!? Soulsborne is "scream obscenities, snap the controller in half, and throw it at the screen" "chill" for me

NEStalgia

Lindhardt

@Magitek_Knight You must be very skilled if Bloodborne is a little stress and Sunshine is a chill game.

Favorite Games:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Portal 2
3. Hollow Knight
4. Fallout 4
5. Persona 4: Golden

TheFrenchiestFry

Bloodborne is pretty chill

It's Demon's Souls that's the real stress inducer lmao

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Magitek_Knight

@Lindhardt It's more like, the game feels unhurried and you're focused enough on what you're doing that actual outside stressors don't factor in. I'm weird, I know, but if I'm fully engaged with a bait/punish tactic in Bloodborne I'm not focused on how much my back hurts from work, you feel?

I feel like I'm coming off as a troll here and need to clarify: The slower pacing is a big part of the appeal for a "chill" game. I'd say an old school dungeon crawl could be a good example of how a game can be hard, without losing the progress at your own pace "chill" factor.

Edited on by Magitek_Knight

I didn't like Breath of the Wild, have I mentioned it yet today?

RR529

I'm getting quite disillusioned by all the resolution/framerate obsession that's been taking over the site recently.

Granted, I do play most modern multiplats (like DQXI & Trials of Mana) on PS4 (though I played the Switch demo of DQXI, which I thought was an immaculate conversion) & tend to play my Switch docked mostly, so maybe I just don't run into the more troublesome performance issues (and I can completely understand being upset with framerates that drop into the low 20's & 10's, as well as huge resolution drops, like XC2 in spots during handheld play), but it seems like the prevailing thought is that 720p & 30fps is completely unacceptable anymore, & I just can't relate. Sure, the higher benchmarks are nice when hit, but I don't think 720p or 30fps particularly hinder a game in any way, and even just a few years ago the pixel counting obsession hadn't yet penetrated the Nintendo community, so it's disappointing to see it finally take hold.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kkslider5552000

I can't possibly imagine wasting even a minute of my time reading the comments on nearly any site.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I haven't had much in the way of camera issues in the challenge caves when playing Sunshine. Once in a great while the camera will get stuck on something, but it's rare enough that it doesn't really stick in my craw.

It's not quite as polished as, say, Mario Odyssey, but coming off Mario 64? The tightness of the controls, and the responsiveness of the camera in general, are a revelation.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Euler

RR529 wrote:

I'm getting quite disillusioned by all the resolution/framerate obsession that's been taking over the site recently.

Granted, I do play most modern multiplats (like DQXI & Trials of Mana) on PS4 (though I played the Switch demo of DQXI, which I thought was an immaculate conversion) & tend to play my Switch docked mostly, so maybe I just don't run into the more troublesome performance issues (and I can completely understand being upset with framerates that drop into the low 20's & 10's, as well as huge resolution drops, like XC2 in spots during handheld play), but it seems like the prevailing thought is that 720p & 30fps is completely unacceptable anymore, & I just can't relate. Sure, the higher benchmarks are nice when hit, but I don't think 720p or 30fps particularly hinder a game in any way, and even just a few years ago the pixel counting obsession hadn't yet penetrated the Nintendo community, so it's disappointing to see it finally take hold.

Have to agree. The specs stopped mattering the day everyone stopped putting the number of bits on the front of the console.

Euler

KryptoniteKrunch

Agree about frame rate and resolution. I think a lot of it has to do with fans of the other consoles really playing up fps and resolution as a way to knock the Switch and its games. I understand people are sensitive to frame drops and low fps, but there's no way 30fps and/or 720p is "unplayable" in "current year". That's just hyperbolic nonsense. Its fine if you choose to stick with 60fps games only, but yeah.

Further, people don't seem to make a big deal out of games like MH World running at 30fps on PS4.

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

Losermagnet

I don't know much about technical specs, but I have a PS4 and a Switch. Owning both I tend to buy muliplats on the PS4 since I play the Switch docked normally anyway. Remove the potential for handheld play and it's obvious that one version is worse. Not a fault with the Switch, really, just that there seem to be ports that have trouble translating for whatever reason.

I dont know if this is an unpopular opinion but, as far as video games go, think 2020 was pretty good. I thought it was gonna be a disaster (like everything else).

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Matt_Barber

I think frame rates are important but only for really twitchy genres like platformers and beat 'em ups, and especially with competitive online play.

Consistency matters way more than raw numbers though so even 30 can be good enough so long as it's stays there.

However, anyone moaning about frame rate drops in an RPG wants their head examining.

It's only going to get worse now that the next generation consoles are pushing for 120fps and a steady 60 probably won't even be regarded as good enough.

Matt_Barber

theWildLink

Games are more about the story and experience than graphics and frames per second.

You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Switch Friend Code: SW-1849-2485-4394

TheFrenchiestFry

@theWildLink Yes. I do indeed have a strong admiration for Mario, DOOM, Dark Souls and F-Zero's prevailing sense of strong and gripping narrative quality

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

blockfight

Unpopular opinion: I like cloud streaming games. I just bought Control on Switch and play a lot on Stadia.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic