Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,401 to 7,420 of 12,088

OptometristLime

Buizel wrote:

NEStalgia wrote:

Unpopular opinion to start ww3:. Thousand year door is mediocre and already demonstrated that the series was circling the drain after seven stars. Super paper was a momentary flash of greatness but they took far too many liberties and made a legit dark Mario game which Nintendo understandably handled like it was a Phillips CDi game.

In what way is TTYD mediocre? It's widely considered to not just be better than 64, but the absolute peak and defining game of the series.

If Paper Mario 64 is the uncut diamond, than TTYD is a glittering crown jewel lol. I'm surprised to hear it knocked for being unoriginal when it actually eschewed a lot of normal RPG progression in favor of general oddness. Some of the off the path moments include the Glitzville thunderdome (with its disturbing and escalating implications), as well as the chapter which is mostly a detective mystery via train ride.

For the topic, not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not but: I was a little stung that the Nintendo treatment apparently does not apply to its RPG arm. Lots of formative experiences in those games for me, it would be nice to see them more kindly regarded.

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

Toy_Link

NEStalgia wrote:

Unpopular opinion to start ww3:. Thousand year door is mediocre and already demonstrated that the series was circling the drain after seven stars. Super paper was a momentary flash of greatness but they took far too many liberties and made a legit dark Mario game which Nintendo understandably handled like it was a Phillips CDi game.

You can buy SPM right now on the Wii U for $20. I wouldn't call that Phillips CD-I treatment, especially since it got a rerelease over Wii Sports Resort, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Barrel Blast, or any of the Wii Mario Parties.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Wargoose

@NEStalgia fortnite lol

FFXV was an unfinished game, even with the DLC. The characters had fun interactions, and the beginning of the game feeling like a camping holiday was quite unique. I thought it was ok.

After FFXII(which I know people love, but it just didn't click with me) and FFXIII which I really, really didn't like. It was an improvement.

Without the experiment that was FFXV we wouldn't have got to FFVII Remake, which in my eyes is the first great Final Fantasy game since X-2

Wargoose

Buizel

Apportal wrote:

NEStalgia wrote:

but they took far too many liberties and made a legit dark Mario game which Nintendo understandably handled like it was a Phillips CDi game.

@Buizel he clearly stated why he didn’t like it. Don’t know why it’s so hard for you.

If you reread you'll see that NEStalgia was talking about Super Paper Mario, not TTYD, in this instance.

At least 2'8".

Anti-Matter

In term of game box design, PSP game case still looks better than Switch game case.
PSP game cover spine still have their unique fonts and color, unlike Switch that red spine for all games and mostly generic fonts.

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@Losermagnet It's not your teenage lizard brain. The junction system was just incomprehensibly bad. The last time I tried it, long ago, I didn't even realize how bad it was until I tried the game again on Switch last month. Oof. That explains why it's the only one never to be rereleased until recently.

@Wargoose Yeah, I held out so long playing XV until it was "done" I mostly forgot about it and barely played into it. But it still piques my curiosity heavily. The gas station sets up a memorable experience at the start. But there's so much "off" about it as well. But I hate knowing it's incomplete no matter what you do, and the final DLC to finally complete it got removed.

XII gets a lot of hate, but I almost think of it more as an Enix game than a Square game. It feels more conventional RPG than even FF games, but not in a terrible way. It seems more stand-alone than the others in that regard. IX will forever remain the opus for me, though. I've learned to not just not hate, but actually like XIII. I hated it when it launched. But replaying it on X1, part-way, recently made me appreciate it as good. Not really an RPG, but good. And the two sequels actually do feel more FF again. Ironically due in part to random encounters.

Also, indeed @Buizel has it right, I was talking about SPM. And I actually do like it, but it is really the culprit behind all the extreme control Nintendo applies to the series currently. They pushed it mush too far, and there's no way Nintendo was going to really tolerate turning Mario into a dark environment. Mushroom Kingdom is a place of villains who "kick your butt!" and kidnap princesses. SPM gives you a villain that murdered his father and then his whole tribe, and then a whole world.

Though as was said above, there's precedent. Mario's Time Machine had Mario fighting Hitler....

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia FFXII is probably the least conventional game in the series.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Ralizah How so? Big medieval environment, turn based (or real time-turn based) battles.... I'm not sure why it's seen as so unconventional.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia The grounded, politics-heavy storyline and unique battle system, which essentially allowed you to program the exact behavior of your party, are utterly unusual for a Final Fantasy game.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah I usually thought XV was pretty unconventional largely due to its story, setting and characterization but XII is pretty special in that regard too

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Ahh, yes, unusual for FF - but IMO more traditional for RPGs in general than FF normally is. Thus why I say it feels more Enix than Square. It's a very traditional RPG by being NOT traditional for FF.

The unique battle system, honestly I never played much with the "programming the behaviors" aspect. It seemed kind of like extra flourish that wasn't necessary, IMO. Overall I think that one's a great RPG, and not particularly unique among RPGs, it's just not what FF fans have in mind with a new game.

Then they did XIII where they point blank said it wasn't supposed to be an RPG, but a "new kind of game" inspired by FPS. It was like Square's Paper Mario moment....which is kind of ironic considering they created the template for OG Paper Mario. XIII remains a game that grows on you, though, IMO. The story is hot garbage, but the battles are really tight. Some games, like Mario 64 age terribly (I really don't understand how anyone that didn't play that game at launch can actually tolerate playing it now.) Some games age finely. XIII is better today than it was at launch without having had any changes at all made to it. We changed, it didn't, and it's better for it.

XIII's biggest problem was the storytelling. The moment they opened with Fal'L'Eth'Cie and rambled on and on as though you have any #@#$%@ idea what they're talking about at all and that it actually seems significant to you in some way....and that's like half the game is the moment most people lost interest. The on-rails play just added salt to the wound. But going back to it knowing what to expect...gameplay actually holds up great and beats classic random encounters pants off.

@TheFrenchiestFry Define "conventional" for FF.

NEStalgia

Losermagnet

@NEStalgia to clarify, I have a 32 year old lizard brain now. So, if it really is as bad as I remember it being, I'll plow my way through FF VIII Benny Hill style.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

TheFrenchiestFry

@NEStalgia Well XV stood out to me because even if the setting and characters had fantastical elements, they mostly felt grounded and realistic, like they actually based a lot of the aesthetics in that game off of our own world and customs. It was pretty fresh coming off of the PS2/PSP games and FFXIII

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Unpopular opinion: Mother 3 is the only good game in the trilogy. It had characters I actually cared about and didn't try to constantly shove odd imagery in my face to mask its inherent lack of characterization or a story I didn't care about whatsoever. I absolutely don't get the hype for Earthbound. It always felt like one of those "weird for the sake of weird with not much else" kind of games.

It honestly sucks that THAT's the game that still hasn't been localized.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

NEStalgia

@Losermagnet LOL. It's worse than you remember. Much worse. I could at least force myself through the first few chapters decades ago. This time I WTF'ed myself through the fire cave just to get to the save point and pressed "home" as fast as I could. But if there really are QOL features in there I might pop it back out. Though after all the Paper Mario hysteria I suddenly have an urge to play Legend of the Seven Stars again, so that might be my retro Square masterpiece of the month.

@TheFrenchiestFry Type 0 must really blow your mind. It has the realistic grounded world of XII with the self-referential indulgent FNC garbage of XIII all in one, and a card game battle system....

Also, wait, did you just go into the Unpopular Gaming Opinions thread to state: "Where's Mother 3?!"

NEStalgia

Losermagnet

@TheFrenchiestFry Mother 3 may be the one I like the least actually (and that includes Beginnings lol). It feels so.... illegitimate. I think the kerfuffle about it never being released outside of japan is a big part.

Playing Earthbound back in 96 - 97 was a mind blowing experience. Playing Beginnings was so interesting because it informed Earthbound so much. It was like playing a really good beta. And then you have books like Legends of Localization that detail the localisation of such a ridiculous game. I'm rambling - but you can tell I find it an endlessly interesting subject.

TheFrenchiestFry

@NEStalgia I've never actually played Type 0

I was definitely eyeing it on my PSVita to-get radar but other games came along. Definitely going to get it someday, as I have almost all the other FF games on Vita including the PSP titles

Also going to get the Steam remaster as well

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Losermagnet

@NEStalgia I did the same thing recently with Seven Stars. I didn't have the time to do Origami King so I was thinking it sounded fun. It's still my favorite Mario RPG.

MsJubilee

NEStalgia wrote:

Never thought a post on a forum would get my blood boiling. But sure enough, this did lmao. First time for everything I suppose.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

NEStalgia

Yeah, to me it highlights that nobody at Nintendo outside Monolith knows how to make an RPG. The only truly great Mario RPG remains the one made by Square. Though IS is explicitly not trying to make RPGs which explains some of it. Seven Stars was a wonderful game in every way. We'll never see something like Mallow's Cloud Kingdom in a Mario game again.....

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic