Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,361 to 7,380 of 12,088

Zuljaras

Those days I thought about something that is pretty unpopular nowadays. Everyone loves Mario games (and Green Mario games as well ofc!).

So this is 2 part post. One is pretty Unpopular and the other is trying to fight it!

So when I was little and got my first console I played Super Mario Bros to death! I loved it so much! After that I have not played ANY other Mario games. I thought they are meaningless and do not have a plot. Yeah save the stupid princess with a fruit name...

Is there anyone thinking the same now? I prefer to play games that has meaning and are not childish. Except Pokemon probably, but then more adults play Pokemon than kids!

Now I would love to start playing again Mario games and the 3 Spooky Green Mario games as well! (they look better than most Mario games!)

So anyone here could tell me if there are Mario games with more meaning than "Jump on the f****ng turtles and knock out the dragon idiot!" ?

From what I saw on YT no but still?

jump

@Zuljaras There's this amazing fan theory I read once about how Mario is actually an invading supremacist and the games are propaganda to try to paint Bowser as the villain who is simply defending his Kingdom against the anti-reptile forces. There was a lot of details put forward which are very persuasive.

I googled it but after looking for 30 secs I couldn't find it so I gave up.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Dogorilla

@Zuljaras I really don't think games need to have deep meaning to be enjoyed by adults. Mario games are just extremely creative and well designed platformers, which should be good enough for anyone regardless of age. That said, you might be interested in this video about the emotional themes of Mario Galaxy.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Zuljaras

@Dogorilla I just like games to have something more than the basic mission. Like lore, atmosphere and interesting environments.

That is why Mario Party for example look terrible to me. Just meaningless party games for fun.

I watch the video you linked and post after that as well

Dogorilla

@Zuljaras Fair enough. I appreciate good lore and atmosphere too but, for me, a game simply being fun is the most important thing.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

NEStalgia

@Zuljaras What princess with a fruit name. There is only one princess in Super Mario Bros (excluding Super Mario Land), and that is Princess TOADSTOOL! Get it right!

Seriously, though, it's a platformer. It's a classic arcade format gameplay in a colorful world with interesting level design and platform challenges. Street Fighter 2 didn't have story and it was the most popular fighting game of all time. Arcade games don't need much story beyond a theme. Unless we want to try to figure out a whole emotional plot arc for Tetris.

NEStalgia

Zuljaras

@NEStalgia That is why I do not play Tetris

But Street Fighter did not have a story at first but it was fighting and by the design of the characters you can tell they have some kind of background (or at least wonder).

I will try to look at some Mario lore as well as the video suggested above.

Toy_Link

@Zuljaras
I wouldn't bother, there's no recurring lore in the Mario series beyond what's told in the Yoshi's Island series (Yoshi saved Mario & Luigi as a child and defeated Baby Bowser) and the implication in many games that Mario has saved the Princess hundreds of time.

It's really all about the gameplay with Mario.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Wargoose

@Zuljaras Super Mario Galaxy has a pretty well told story via the storybook segments. Its nothing amazing but its probably the best narrative of the Mario Platformers.

Mario Bros 2 is interesting in that it's all set inside Mario's Dream.

Street Fighters story is just bad. It's definitely there, but it might as well not be. Mortal Kombat plot is crazy convoluted but it's got some interesting bits.

Wargoose

RainbowGazelle

For me, Mario games are some of the most boring, bland, copy-and-paste games I've ever seen. Just slap Mario on any old crap, regardless of quality. Meaning that I actually mostly associate Mario with low-budget stop-gap games rather than games that are actually worth my time.

It's pretty lonely, you know, disliking Mario games. I've tried them over and over, but still just cannot see what the appeal is at all.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

Nintendo Network ID: RainbowGazelle | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

RainbowGazelle wrote:

For me, Mario games are some of the most boring, bland, copy-and-paste games I've ever seen.

This is a distressingly reasonable opinion if your take on Mario is based on the 2010s before Odyssey tbh.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Reynoblade

@RainbowGazelle
I always considered Super Mario to be one of the most innovative franchises out there. Aside from the "New Super Mario" line and Galaxy 2 being a direct sequel, every new game was very different from the ones that came before.

Reynoblade

RainbowGazelle

@kkslider5552000 @Shulkalot Yeah, I started really playing Nintendo games non-casually during the 3DS and Wii U era. Every Mario game I tried was pretty poor, save for 3D World, which was alright. After so many 9/10s for Mario games that I hated, I didn't trust reviewers enough to try any on the Switch.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

Nintendo Network ID: RainbowGazelle | Twitter:

Anti-Matter

Minna no Tennis games and Tennis game from Bombeman Battles / Hardball PS2 in PAL version are way much better and fun than Mario Tennis Aces.

Anti-Matter

StuTwo

Zuljaras wrote:

Those days I thought about something that is pretty unpopular nowadays. Everyone loves Mario games (and Green Mario games as well ofc!).

So this is 2 part post. One is pretty Unpopular and the other is trying to fight it!

So when I was little and got my first console I played Super Mario Bros to death! I loved it so much! After that I have not played ANY other Mario games. I thought they are meaningless and do not have a plot. Yeah save the stupid princess with a fruit name...

Is there anyone thinking the same now? I prefer to play games that has meaning and are not childish. Except Pokemon probably, but then more adults play Pokemon than kids!

Now I would love to start playing again Mario games and the 3 Spooky Green Mario games as well! (they look better than most Mario games!)

So anyone here could tell me if there are Mario games with more meaning than "Jump on the f****ng turtles and knock out the dragon idiot!" ?

From what I saw on YT no but still?

I think you should investigate "Mario is Missing". The plot has Luigi trimming his moustache, donning his flat cap and exploring Asia, Africa and Latin America on foot to reconnect with his older brother like the complete hipster that he truly is. There's literally nothing else like it...

...Except for Mario's Time Machine where Mario may or may not decide to go back in time to kill Hitler as a baby. Hey - you want deep mature themes - try travelling back in time to ancient Greece and discussing the philosophical merits of the idea with Aristotle and Plato!

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

swiftii

I don't want to start a fight, but I think Animal Crossing: New Horizons isn't very good. It may have added new things like crafting and terraforming, but there isn't much else to the game. Most "new" content they add in updates is just old content from new leaf given a sticker that says "new". The villager personalities are too samey, so they are only hunted for their looks. I know animal crossing is slow paced, but New Horizons just feels a little too slow.

swiftii

Anti-Matter

@swiftii
Who said ACNH was too slow ?
I played ACNH with Time Travel all the time so it was pretty quick for me to jump to any dates i want.
I played ACNH as quick as i played Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic