Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,301 to 7,320 of 7,389

T7Hokage017

@j_whitfield8 I agree with some of your points but not all. I really enjoyed Breath Of The Wild but I do have my gripes with it as well. For starters I have a problem with The Champion's Tunic. It has a cool design, don't get me wrong, but I really would have preferred if Link had kept his iconic green tunic and hat. Some people say that it's silly and that it doesn't look cool but I think it does.

I do think that the story is in fact weak compared to other Zelda games and I criticize that the weapons break all the time. It really annoys me. I guess that's what they were aiming for but The Master Sword was horribly nerfed IMO.

I also think that the designs of Link, Zelda, and Ganon were way better in Hyrule Warriors. I know that's a stretch but that's me. I think gameplay wise that it's a great and fun game but as I've said I do have my issues with it. I hope the sequel adds more lore to the game but I can't really find a placement for this game in the timeline either.

EDIT : I'm also not the biggest fan of cel shading.

Edited on by T7Hokage017

I stare at the night sky and as I watch the stars I realize somethin'. It's not about who's out there but who's here.

Twitter:

The-Senate-66

My unpopular opinion is that Zelda games shouldn't be played for the story. Most Zelda games haven't really had a great story anyway. I see a lot of complaints about BotW's story and personally think that it doesn't really matter. I've had a fun time with the game, even though it wasn't the best. If a Zelda game has a good story, great, I'll take it. If a Zelda game has a story that isn't that great, it won't bother me.

The-Senate-66

Ralizah

@The-Senate-66 People seem to mix up "story" and "storytelling." Most Zelda game "stories" can be streamlined to "collect the [x number] of [macguffins] to [save the world/defeat bad guy]." Zelda stories typically exist to structure a sequence of set-pieces, bosses, and environments into something that resembles a journey. That's it. Not exactly great literature. And this is why the narrative content of BotW is relegated to flashbacks: the structure of the storytelling needed to be changed to properly accommodate the new style of game design Nintendo was going for.

These games have charming characters, but very little is typically done with them, either. I'd argue the depiction of Princess Zelda in BotW is one of the best in the series in this regard. She has an actual character arc, and, for this series, a decently nuanced portrayal.

Edited on by Ralizah

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

T7Hokage017

@j_whitfield8 I sure hope so. I'm really looking forward to the sequel!

@Ralizah Zelda's portrayal was excellent. I only have a few minor gripes in certain aspects of her portrayal but it's still great.

I do think that people do mix up both of those terms but I think that a little more story wouldn't hurt the franchise. I believe that there are some franchises that don't really need a story but there are some that do.

I really enjoyed Breath Of The Wild and I think that it's a great game but like anything it has its flaws. I'm looking forward to it's sequel and perhaps a more concrete story with a playable Zelda.

Edited on by T7Hokage017

I stare at the night sky and as I watch the stars I realize somethin'. It's not about who's out there but who's here.

Twitter:

Ralizah

@T7Hokage017 Let me guess: the english voice acting for Princess Zelda? It didn't bother me, but a lot of people seem to hate it.

Regarding quantity/quality of story in Zelda games, I don't necessarily think the games need strong central narratives. I would like to see the narrative content in quests be improved upon, though. I'm not asking for TW3-tier quests, but way too many sidequests in BotW devolve into busywork. I think the side-content in Majora's Mask is a great model for how the next Zelda game should improve on BotW's formula.

Edited on by Ralizah

The-Senate-66

@Ralizah
I agree with your statement. Because of the new open world style Nintendo hasn't really done in many games before, there had to be some story sacrifices. I also agree with your opinion on Zelda. Since she was shown a lot in the game, she has the most character development, making her depiction great.

The-Senate-66

T7Hokage017

@Ralizah Yeah... I really hated the english voice for Zelda. I was really unimpressed by it. It was definitely NOT what I thought Zelda would sound like (at least in english). I'm also gonna have to disagree with you in terms of story because I love stories in videogames. I think that many games such as LoZ have so much story potential. I think that games like these should have significant stories but that's just me I guess.

In terms of side quests I think you're kinda right. Some don't really bother me while others do. I think it just depends on the gamer's play style. I'm also disappointed that BoTW introduces so many new and likeable characters like Urbosa and The Champions and then simply kills them off... like what?

I'm hopeful that the sequel improves these aspects and introduces more story and lore.

Edited on by T7Hokage017

Twitter:

LzWinky

As opposed to all the glorious stories of previous Zelda games?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Silly_G

@The-Senate-66 : I don't think any game should be played for the story.

The whole point of games (as far as I am concerned) is the element of interactivity. A great game should enable the player to tell their own story.

I tend to strongly dislike games that are filled with cutscenes. If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd pop in a Blu-ray.

An affiliate link to a Link in need is an affiliate Link indeed.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Sculptor

Well let's talk about XC2 then. All in all, I'd rate this game a fat 8.5. But I'm actually not sure why, because the majority of the game is, in my unpopular opinion, actually a f****** load of trash! I'm talking about 90% of the sidequests and a large chunk of the main story content.

Usually a quest will go like this:

Start quest at person Y > go talk to X in a super annoying to reach location > wander around looking for the entrance point for half an hour, already finding yourself to slowly get bored > find the entrance and realize you'll have to change up your entire party to get the required field skills > enter and change your party back in case a battle will come > find out that X is stuck in ice, once again change your entire party up, for the third time in less than 2 minutes just to get the required field skills > free X and change party again for the fourth time in 3 minutes > talk to X > receive 4 entirely new quests just to get items necessary to complete the initial quest > notice that they're vague and don't have markers > try your best, but after wasting hours and just getting bored, Google a guide to be able to even complete it in less than 1,000 hours > go to the first quest/location > battle an enemy & collect item, simple enough > go to the second location > once friggin' again change up your entire party to satisfy required field skills & collect item > swap the f*** back again > go to third location - another obscure unreachable place, wander around and find it after half an hour or give up & Google the entrance point > change up your friggin' team to get the required friggin' field skills to unlock the friggin' item > enemy spawns in a cutscene, preventing you from entering the menu before it initiates combat, beating it takes ages because of the distorted party setup > change party baaaack > go to location 4 > game gives you a break and just lets you collect the item, whoa > return to person X to complete the initial quest > complete the quest after all this work? HAH! I was only telling you half the truth! Go to Nopon Y in Argentum for the other half > Nopon Y tells you Mehmehmeh! ask Nopon Z in Gormott > Nopon Z will only give you the info for 50,000 gold - pay > Mehmehmehmeh! I'm stupid and suffer from dementia! I actually don't know what I was gonna tell you but I won't pay you back anyway! Go ask Nopon X in Morytha! > go to Nopon X, who is in a deep sleep and won't wake up > change up your... ugh... entire... party to get... the required... field skills... field skills... FIELD SKILLS... FIEDLEWF#@$#@$# - Nopon X wakes up > Nopon X gives you location A, where surely you will finally find the object you were aiming for since the beginning > once again restore your party setup, noticing aggression in your button presses and releasing sighs of frustration at this unnecessary, annoying & never ending menu chore > location A proves to be false! Wow! But it has a clue leading towards location B > location B is in a #$%##@$ unreachable place, Google or search around for ages and find that you have to... wel... > FIIIEELDDD SKIILLLSSSSSS > change team BAAACKCKKK > arrive at location B, you find yourself in a huge boss battle, finally some actual fun/gameplay > after winning you get the object > return to person Y and actually complete the quest > wonder what the hell you just did to yourself and why.

The game design is the exact opposite of what it should be. Instead of fun it's actually wildly unfun. These quests are a test of mental sanity. Every step is a nuisance. Every little detail is a chore. A quest is a test of patience, attempting to see how much sh** can be thrown at you before you break and put the game away for a few days/weeks. It's just not fun. It's a game that fails to be fun. It fails at the one thing it should be. So why does it score so good? Even with me?

Because yet I'm so freaking addicted I can't stop putting myself through this. In fact, I got 100% completion yesterday. Why? Why?! I'm sure people here can relate.

Also, are quests in Torna this pathetic? If so, I might stay off it and just start the XC remake next month.

Edited on by Sculptor

Sculptor

Krull

@Sculptor Well, but, no, er, I mean, that’s spot on...

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is like a big puppy that chewed up your slippers and made a mess on your carpet. You know you should be angry with it, but you can’t help but forgive it. Unless you don’t like dogs to begin with (for dogs, read grindy JRPGs leaning heavily on shonen anime tropes).

That said, I never met a single roadblock in XC2 that wasn’t story-gated. I always had enough materials or elements or whatever to get through most things, because I developed a kind of OCD compulsion to pick up everything.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589

Dusk

@Sculptor Oh god, I've never read a description of a game so spot on. I loved XC2 but it took me like a year to compete after ditching it several times in desperation. That's the reason I'm hesitant to get the Torna expansion (though I heard people say it's better than the normal game) and I'm completely not sold on the remake. So scared it's gonna be the same grind. lol

Dusk

RR529

@Sculptor, @Dusk, Torna is very sidequest oriented (you have to complete most of them in order to advance the main story even), however unlike the main game you have a set party, so you'll obtain the field skills you'll need just by playing.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Dusk

@RR529 But how's the entire experience compared to the normal game? are the objectives clearer? How do you customize without binding blades? O:

Dusk

RR529

@Dusk, I'd say most of the sidequests are pretty clear cut & nearby, but it does have it's fair share of more involved ones (the biggest I can think of revolves around smashing green barrels scattered around the game world, which activates near the beginning of the game, but you won't be completing until near the end if you decide to persue it). There's only two Titans in the game though (Gormott, which you should be familiar with if you've already cleared the main game, and is a bit smaller here I believe, and Torna, which is segmented up into smaller, more easily explored regions), so I wouldn't worry too much about getting lost or overwhelmed.

Also, what kind of customization are you talking about?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

status-204

FF7 Remake is awful. If I wanted a harem where every important female character constantly winks, nods and flirts with the dude I'm controlling, I'd opt for a cheaper Steam alternative. Whose idea was it to make a combat system that's an incoherent amalgamation of a hack'n'slash, a gcd-based MMO and a turn-based ATB that does neither decently and whose camera just simply doesn't work half the time?

And who keeps forgetting to fire Tetsuya Nomura? He's back to his hack job of time travel shenanigans again. Someone show him the door please, he's lost both his mind and his way.

My expectations were "an amusing game that lets me see Midgar again", but what I got was an overbearing trash fire of awful dialogue, poor gameplay, unfinished areas, and a story not worth the disc it's shipped on.

Switch FC: SW-4802-1501-8621

Ralizah

@Dusk @RR529 Honestly, in terms of both quality and ease of completion, the side-quests in Torna blow the quests from both mainline Xenoblade entries out of the water. They're almost all fun (setting aside the green barrels quest and maybe one or two others), and a lot of them have fun narrative content.

The combat system is so nicely streamlined as well.

I liked Xenoblade 2 a lot in spite of its many flaws, but it's hard to really find much to fault Torna with. Some people don't like how you have to do almost all of the side-quests to beat the game, but if you just think of those "side-quests" as part of the main story content (because, in a way, they kind of are), then it's pretty amazing from beginning to end.

I'm really, really hoping Monolith took a hard look at the quests in the original game when creating the Definitive Edition so as to improve on them.

Edited on by Ralizah

HunterLeon

@status-204 Although I do agree that Cloud's harem is a bit ridiculous (I can overlook it) - I don't really understand your complaints with the battle system. I think the blend of action and ATB is amazing - giving you most of the benefits of FF7's ATB (through direct, menu-based commands for all of your party members), but the hack-and-slash is incredibly fluid and fun. Plus the materia and upgrade systems add a lot of versatility - not to mention that each character has their own distinct play-style. This is a much better battle system than FF15 or 12 IMO. I do think the part AI is pretty terrible though - you pretty much have to do everything yourself in this game.

I also think the dialogue is pretty solid. Characterisation was definitely the game's strength - all of the main cast were brought to life in a way that exceeded my expectations.

Edited on by HunterLeon

Previously "Buizel"

kkslider5552000

I'd like to add that the English voice acting was utterly pathetic in BOTW. It's such a half-***ed dub for ZELDA. You think they would try more for ZELDA.

Granted, voice acting added nothing to the game in Japanese anyway. And while I like me some Japanese voice acting, and its way better than the English voice acting, I would be fine if they never had voice acting in Zelda again. Even if its great, it always takes me out of the experience when a game is only sometimes voice acted, even for major cutscenes. No voice acting at that point is actually more immersive, just for the consistency.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

LzWinky

@kkslider5552000 Would it be more accurate to say just voice acting in general instead of just English?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic