Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,161 to 7,180 of 12,088

Ralizah

@Blooper987 Children were an organic, plot-entwined mechanic in Awakening. They were just shoe-horned into Fates because IS had tasted real success for the first time with Awakening and were probably terrified of going back to the low sales that previously plagued the series.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Blooper987

@Ralizah I fear the same thing is gonna happen with the next game. IS will put the teaching from 3 Houses into a game where it contextually makes no sense. I’m incredibly interested to see where the series goes next.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

Shambo

@Anti-Matter Funny that you mention that specific game, I used to play it co-op with my ex-partner, and we both had difficulties with the hunter job. But we decided together that it's just an archer, and we'd simply be doing what we did the entire time: god-tier every job, and level like crazy, and change a few things within our imagination. However, games like monster hunter series, that I used to enjoy, got harder and harder to play. I can't stand seeing those majestic creatures limp away to their nests, try to recover, only to be chased and harmed, captured or killed,... Their fear, pain, panic, it felt too real, and the goal was always to gather "materials" from them to create gear to go hunt some more creatures... Or how you have to kill peaceful herbivores for meat to restore your stamina. Mechanically it was a very well made game, and maybe I even have to give it credit for being too well made, because I felt terrible playing it before I decided to never play it again.

@Losermagnet alright, and thanks for sharing your views. I understand that it's a bit exhausting, I've been having these conversations for 17 years now, but mostly about real life stuff, so with higher stakes. In this context, it's almost become stress relieving to me But I'm gonna end it here as well.

@NEStalgia I'm an anarchist, I fight for freedom and equality for all, not systematic oppression. I'd love for the world to "go vegan" and "anarchistic" (both basically meaning we'd ditch the idea that one's life is of a higher value than that of an "other", that we ONLY have authority over ourselves, and only WE have authority over ourselves), overnight if it could, because I strongly believe that would bring more peace, health, joy,... For every living being. But definitely not by law and punishment, masters and slaves, those are the means of hierarchy. But that's my opinion, if hierarchists could just limit hierarchy to those explicitly and voluntarily participating, I'd happily let them have their hierarchy away from us who have other ideologies.

@SomeBitTripFan I think my initial point made it across pretty much intact, or we're just pretty much on the same page here, thank you for reading it and sharing your view. You may however actually be surprised by how many "poor" societies actually are almost "vegan" though, often without it being a moral stance. Most fruits and vegetables are much cheaper to "produce" and more efficient ways of getting food (I personally don't consider "meat" "food", or milk food for grown ups, let alone of other species). For raising animals for "meat", forests, often in poorer countries, are cut for soy or grain production for example, that could feed many more humans instead. While those people often aren't really vegan, these "poor" cultures eat far less animal products (and have far less health issues related to them), and there are few cultures that eat more animals than the "rich" western cultures. I for example chose to live below the poverty line, and have no difficulties feeding myself and the animals I shelter here in my forest. I used to travel around quite a bit, and stayed away from touristic hot spots, where they cater to the western eating habits, dressed up as "local specialties", at rich tourist prices. In many countries you can get a perfectly vegan feast "for an apple and a-", well, banana - a perfect "replacement" for eggs in pancakes ^^ Here in the "richer" parts of the world, veganism can be as expensive as you want,ranging from the cheapest option, to the most expensive one. From the healthiest to the most unhealthy lifestyle.

@Cotillion For most games -and media in general even more so- that works for me as well. In movies I rarely have an issue (I don't need to control their actions, or watch idly while they take away control, doing stuff that breaks the immersion or make me dislike a character I was invested in, in a way that didn't enhance the experience or story). Of course I have an issue with animals being considered "meat" (or trees "wood", humans "workforce" or "cannonfodder" or whatever,...), but I can see qualities in flawed characters, and flaws in otherwise relatable characters, or see value in a despicable protagonist in a movie. But in the example of Assassin's Creed 4, a game I thoroughly enjoyed as an open world and a story (just not the story missions), and where I related not to the protagonist but mostly to Black Beard, it felt unnecessary and cruel to go (whale) hunting, especially requiring several skins of specific animals for one upgrade, required to unlock access to the next, again requiring several skins of specific animals. Where in reality, even if you'd hunt for them, just one non-specific skin would suffice to create that final upgrade to a holster for an extra gun for example. As suggested by someone here (lost track with all of the reactions at once), I just made peace with not upgrading everything, and did use the skins gathered in self-defense when possible. But even if I found the main character somewhat dislikable, I just couldn't actively control him to go whaling and otherwise hunting.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time and for chiming in everyone. I was obviously right that it's an unpopular opinion, but I knew that going into it and I'm happy with the resulting conversations and even the content of them, as I've gotten used to trolling and ridicule, conflict and marginalisation on the internet, even from fellow vegans often.

Shambo

3DS Friend Code: 0473-7756-7818 | Nintendo Network ID: Shambo

Cotillion

Unpopular opinion I've had a long time, but the Paper Mario headline made me think of it again - Miyamoto has been revered as a game designer, which I agree with, but his ideals have been also been detrimental to many games. His absolute insistence on creating some new gimmick, some new mechanic, some change for the sake of change and forcing these gimmicks has ruined many a game and/or sequel. And his desire to throw the story away in every game. No, Mario doesn't need deep lore or backstory, but no story in an RPG series? This is the same reason Zelda has little story most of the time. I like the idea of each game being a 'Legend' and the overall lore and timespan between them being somewhat vague as a legend would be, but that doesn't mean each game can't have its own better story, with better developed characters.
At least, I think it's unpopular, because he seems be revered to the point of not being able to do wrong.

Cotillion

kkslider5552000

Cotillion wrote:

Unpopular opinion I've had a long time, but the Paper Mario headline made me think of it again - Miyamoto has been revered as a game designer, which I agree with, but his ideals have been also been detrimental to many games. His absolute insistence on creating some new gimmick, some new mechanic, some change for the sake of change and forcing these gimmicks has ruined many a game and/or sequel. And his desire to throw the story away in every game. No, Mario doesn't need deep lore or backstory, but no story in an RPG series? This is the same reason Zelda has little story most of the time. I like the idea of each game being a 'Legend' and the overall lore and timespan between them being somewhat vague as a legend would be, but that doesn't mean each game can't have its own better story, with better developed characters.
At least, I think it's unpopular, because he seems be revered to the point of not being able to do wrong.

I agree with this general idea, but I equally blame everyone else at Nintendo for just going along with Miyamoto's ideas without any thought or compromise. Even the best people can make some really stupid suggestions, so blindly going along with it, is not ideal.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

TheFrenchiestFry

@Cotillion Hard agree. I feel like a lot of Nintendo's hardcore audience really developed somewhat of a god complex around game developers like Miyamoto, Sakurai and dare I say even Iwata. I get that they're incredibly integral to the history of the company and I'm not taking their contributions away from them, but I think both Miyamoto and Iwata have both been vocal about certain ideals that added to the public perception that Nintendo was a company for kids games. Miyamoto's Paper Mario philosophies have been one thing, but I think even Iwata had a hand in inadvertently causing Nintendo to be viewed as lesser than their competitors during the Wii and especially the Wii U era. I get where he was coming from in regards to saying that the PS2 taught them power wasn't everything, but he took away the wrong message the PS2 communicated in my eyes. The PS2 was never nearly as casual-oriented compared to the Wii, and benefitted from an extremely diverse library of games, which is why it appealed to so many people. It was still targeting core gamers at heart, but it just showed it could accomplish that goal with less power, and without dumbing down the gaming experience for the sake of getting the entire family in on the action.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

kkslider5552000

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

Miyamoto's Paper Mario philosophies have been one thing, but I think even Iwata had a hand in inadvertently causing Nintendo to be viewed as lesser than their competitors during the Wii and especially the Wii U era. I get where he was coming from in regards to saying that the PS2 taught them power wasn't everything, but he took away the wrong message the PS2 communicated in my eyes. The PS2 was never nearly as casual-oriented compared to the Wii, and benefitted from an extremely diverse library of games, which is why it appealed to so many people. It was still targeting core gamers at heart, but it just showed it could accomplish that goal with less power, and without dumbing down the gaming experience for the sake of getting the entire family in on the action.

There were points from a marketing perspective that they did do a poor job at communicating that their systems are for a wide range of audiences, but that's more a general marketing problem. But otherwise, a lot of the kiddy complaints were from really stupid people who are insecure because a game isn't M rated and about shooting people. Their games stood out the most for being kid friendly out of the big 3 and thus were mocked for it. I shouldn't have to explain how dumb this is. (I mean this was the era where Gamecube was mocked as the Gaymcube, so that should sum things up well)

Also, the Wii was also obviously made with adults in mind, something I also shouldn't have to explain. The points about casual gaming are exaggerated. I've checked before, simply put, even if you took out the entirety of the purely casual stuff made for the Wii, it would still have about as many Nintendo games as the Gamecube (and I'm not counting the New Play Control games either). So Nintendo was only adding games ontop of their usual lineup if anything. People are really forgetful for how traditional much of Nintendo's lineup on Wii was, and by like 2010 the casual stuff was mostly in the background anyway. While there were problems with how Nintendo failed to balance those two sides of the audience(made much worse on the Wii U), casual games are the only reason Nintendo is still making games you can play on your tv, quite frankly.

And while I agree that Sony was (arguably is) better at targeting a wider audience that will buy more games for it, PS2 did originally succeed just by being a cheap enough DVD player. That's targeting at least as much of a casual audience, quite frankly.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

NEStalgia

@Cotillion that's literally a cookie cutter copy paste view of miyamoto, half of it based on the same skewed half truths, partial truths and out of context details that get repeated as nauseum and inflamed by the click bait mavens that run this site every chance they get. It's not unpopular at least on this site. It's a frequently spammed social effect view originating in snippets of incomplete statements and circumstances...

Many of the decisions attributed to him that people complain about were corporate decisions he was the acting enforcer of as producer. Many fantastic decisions he's made go almost entirely uncredited... Partly on purpose as the company wants to stop seeming so dependent upon him.

The day he leaves is the day nintendo becomes Activision.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

kkslider5552000

Yeah, that's kinda my thought. I feel people are taking these random quick suggestions as the entire direction of Nintendo or all Miyamoto has done in 15 years or something. I mean if that was true, we'd probably have Pikmin 4 already. So that's a good point and-

NEStalgia wrote:

The day he leaves is the day nintendo becomes Activision.

NEStalgia

@TheFrenchiestFry i agree about Iwata. And he himself admitted it was an error to focus so much on casual with wii. But wii was a do or die decision and they did the right thing. And even yamauchi himself signed off on wiiu. I don't think any one person failed there.

Plus gamers overestimate sony/ms vs nin. Based on our own likes. Since the ps2 era:

Sony:
Ps2, best seller of all time. Numbers are inflated though by people buying a a discount dvd player not for games.
Ps3 a near disaster that was bailed out with 2 revisions and only "won" after the generation ended and everyone else stopped selling, and they released a new budget model for the down market.
Psp a so so so sales wise, Japan first portable.
Vita, the doa console even wiiu surpassed.
Ps4 generational lead, but over it's generation got decimated by 3ds+switch.

Ms:
Xb:. A short lived mid gen entry build on the ruins of Dreamcast that lost god money.
360 firmly behind nintendo all gen, but better than ps3 until post generation.
X1 disaster, but we'll never know how bad it is or isn't because they stopped reporting numbers and focused on more profitable service sales over hardware.

Vs nintendo:
Gcn: major flop
Ds: second best selling platform of all time, only a hair behind ps2
Wii third best selling platform of all time. Inflated numbers from people buying as discount Netflix box.
Wiiu: failure... But not as bad as vita.
Switch: currently #6 of all time (including handheld) and can likely move up that list, only half done the gen and demand is heavily constrained by supply.

Why do we always treat nintendo as the underdog? It's it just because we never compare their handhelds as "real" consoles?

NEStalgia

TheFrenchiestFry

@NEStalgia Honestly after the Wii U's abysmal failure, they were almost in that position because they themselves consider the handhelds more as complimentary, entry level systems while they target the consoles to the core gaming audience that is more well versed in their IPs. The Wii U itself was just wasted potential while the PS4 was practically dominating the gaming landscape for a good few years after they barely made it out of the 7th gen victorious with how miraculous their PS3 relaunch was, and Nintendo had to practically do what Sony did with the PS3-PS4 transition with their own transition to the Switch from the Wii U. They honestly could've been viewed as underdogs during that time because they actually had to prove to everyone who walked away from their brand during that era that they could come back and cement their staying power among the other major console manufacturers. They actually had something to prove for the first time since they entered the gaming market, I'd argue.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

NEStalgia

@TheFrenchiestFry True, though their home consoles were a mess for a long time. Each one undersold the one before it since NES. It was a steady decline. SNES, N64 were slowly eroding. GCN tried to take on PS2 directly and failed, while Sega tried and failed worse. MS entered and lost mega money, but that was all planned. Og xb was just to buy time and market for 360.

They stopped making home consoles with wii and went a different direction with the home device. It worked ... But for wiiu they were stuck not knowing who their customer is. The core left them 2 gens ago, the blue ocean doesn't buy nintendos merchandisable ips, and the meaningful systems games were going to ds and 3ds. During wii, DS became the console where the games for gamers went. I think that was the turning point of the handheld becoming the main system and the tv box becoming complimentary. It continued with 3ds. And now right through switch (picking up all of wii and wiius games too)

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

I never like peoples who straightly show their disinterest with Nintendo stuffs right after i mentioned it or when they looked at me playing with Nintendo stuffs.
It was disrespecting my choice.

I have ignored two peoples (2 young female teachers actually) in my working school for saying directly their disinterest with Nintendo stuffs. Instead, both of them said they were adoring disgusting rated 18+ games. I was turned off since then and i was done talking with them. I only help them when they only need for school activities, but once they moved out after 1 - 2 years working , i didn't even miss them.
They moved out, so just go away.
Bye bye. Don't care with them.
Like, why the heck i should care with them for making me turned off.

Anti-Matter

Reynoblade

@Anti-Matter
So basically you're disrespectful of other's opinions but you hate it when other people are disrespectful of yours. I think that's what they call being a hypocrite. Also, with a mindset like that, you have no business being a teacher. Educating children is all about being open-minded and teaching them to think for themselves.

Edited on by Reynoblade

Reynoblade

BruceCM

Just like general society, then .... Anyone will complain about 'sheeple' one minute but as soon as you are thinking for yourself, they'll have a good go at you & be unable to clarify even what they're saying! While expecting you to ignore everything ever said by everyone else in your life & being unable to understand what that would mean you'd do with what they were saying.

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

OptometristLime

Anti-Matter wrote:

It was disrespecting my choice.

I have ignored two peoples (2 young female teachers actually) in my working school for saying directly their disinterest with Nintendo stuffs. Instead, both of them said they were adoring disgusting rated 18+ games. I was turned off since then and i was done talking with them.

This is probably the kind of attitudes which should be brought to the attention of a therapist. If your thinking becomes vengeful because someone doesn't echo your passions (and why should they?) I would see that as a personality disorder. And just to say it I really don't feel like that's in the true spirit of Nintendo to carry an evil thought inside yourself for not sharing the hobby with you. I really don't think whatever content they are interested in should be your concern — and it's hypocritical of you to say they are wrong instead of you. Trading disrespect is not the sign of a balanced man or woman.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

Anti-Matter

@Shulkalot @OptometristLime
I didn't say directly I was done talking with them.
I didn't say any words to them but I kept the distance with them since then.
I said from my heart i was done talking with them once I directly heard their disinterest while we were having chit chat or when I was playing my 3DS in public.
It was like a direct slap on my face.
Since then I stay away from them, only help them when they need me to do school activities. I still communicate with them but only during working time. I really didn't even miss them when they moved out for pursuing bigger career as they were still young and want to have experience.
I did like this (despite it sounds mean) because I will not bothering peoples who didn't echo same things with me. It was like water versus oil, will never collide each other. They didn't resonance same things, well... I didn't need to getting along well with them. Just acquaintance only.

And no need to ask me to find therapist.
I am positive happy with my current condition.
That's make myself being me.

Anti-Matter

BruceCM

Are therapists the people who are, bizarrely, supposed to know what, say, your parents meant with certain things they said better than even they did as well as than you do? If not, I'm still trying to find out how they'd be supposed to help with those issues but nobody knows! Including the people who insist they can somehow help with them

SW-4357-9287-0699

jump

@BruceCM therapy is the talking cure, they are more about supporting, listening and giving feedback to you rather than being a crystal ball to your life problems. I’ve had a few friends who gone to it and the biggest key is finding the right therapist rather than any therapist.

I don’t think Anti going to therapy is a bad idea, he has fairly extreme reactions to things and has said himself he’s traumatised by adult video games which counselling may help.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

BruceCM

Feedback? Except I'm not supposed to be doing anything with all the 'forget the past' & 'ignore them' feedback already! As I said, I have people who insist therapy can help with those sorts of problems but the people that say that don't have any idea how. If they agree you're not supposed to forget or ignore all the stuff that's been said about, they then have to be able to understand what was said better than either the people saying it or you, who knows those people & was there for those conversations.
There's basically nowhere for me to go with it all, since it is actually still part of general socializing & I don't get a practical option to say I don't understand all that stuff

SW-4357-9287-0699

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic