Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,081 to 7,100 of 12,088

NotTelevision

@Ralizah The silence is strange but I don’t think 2020 has been bad or is over quite yet.

Nintendo have always been strange and unpredictable when marketing their products, but I think 2020 has really “taken the cake” in this regard. As @Losermagnet has pointed out, it’s just as much about the releases as the “hype train” leading up to it. Nintendo has basically parked the party train post-AC and this has upset the core Nintendo fan.

It’s actually a bit of a shame the above is the case for the “social media adept” gamer to be pleased, because there is actually quite a lot out there to play. At the same time I think I’m done watching these 2020 “digital events” live because they really feel like a waste of time and effort. I’m confident everyone has better things to be doing even if you’re building playing card houses next to wind turrets.

But I’m looking forward to SMT as well. Been wanting to get into the series.

NotTelevision

Wargoose

@NotTelevision For me Its a combo of the E3 conferences being cancelled, Evo being cancelled, nintendo avoiding doing proper directs, and the Sony Xbox events being a bit lacking.

This year I've really enjoyed FFVII Remake and Animal Crossing, but the lack of interesting news is a downer. I think I enjoy chatting about games more than playing them, and theres not much to talk about.

Wargoose

Euler

Here’s a few:

• Breath of the Wild’s story is pretty good overall. It’s not perfect, but people are a lot harder on it than is reasonable.
  • Breath of the Wild‘s weapon durability mechanic gets far too much hate. It works effectively in the context of level progression in an open world game.
  • Super Mario Bros: the Lost Levels is one of the best 2D Mario games. As Dave Bulmer would say, this game has earned a place on the shelf with the good Mario games - which is all of them! (except Sunshine, obviously)
  • Super Mario 64 DS’s control scheme isn’t all that bad. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it’s more than capable of comfortably managing precise platforming. Overall superior to the N64 version.

Euler

NotTelevision

@Wargoose Ohh yeah for real. We pretty much knew about everything interesting coming so far at last year’s E3. At least for the first 8 months. There have been significant delays (which I don’t think are bad btw) but have certainly taken the wind out of some people’s sails.

Though I’m not sure too many can justify being too upset given the embarrassment of riches that was 2019. Only made it halfway through DQ 11, didn’t yet start Luigi’s Mansion 3 or Persona 4 Golden on Steam. There are just an extraordinarily amount of games that you can’t help but miss unless you devote all your free time to one hobby.

But yes precious few new surprises were revealed. That’s been the story so far.

NotTelevision

TJWorks

Don't know if these opinions are unpopular, but I'll throw them out here:

• I don't care about FPS (frames per second), and I don't see how this should be a factor that deters a person from playing/buying a game. It's only an issue if a game's framerate is unstable, as in it fluctuates as a result of performance issues. So when I see a person complain when a game is locked at 30 FPS, I can't help but think "...so? Why should a fixed stable framerate ruin your experience?"
  • I think Skyward Sword is the best-looking Zelda game in the series so far, in terms of presentation. Better than Breath of the Wild. I won't defend the story pacing and gameplay, but this game is gorgeous. I feel the art style is a successful fusion of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, treading a fine line between TP's semi-realistically proportioned characters and detailed environments and WW's vibrant colour schemes and stylized tweaking. Using watercolouring textures was a great choice too, as the Wii's low-graphic capabilities actually compliments this watercolour style to help make the environments feel dream-like thanks to the blurriness. Turning your weakness into your advantage.
  • I don't like simulation games anymore. (e.g. Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley) I get these games are relaxing timesinks, but the lack of any challenge turns me away, and the thought of playing a game over and over with no ending in sight terrifies me.

Edited on by TJWorks

TJWorks

Wargoose

@TJWorks frame rate I think it depends on the game, but for the most part you're right. Stability should always be the aim. Racing games are the only ones that I feel have a true benefit of running at 60 over 30. I remember folks complaining about the DMC reboot running at 30, and it played great.

Skyward Sword looks great most of the time, I just disliked the watercolour effect they had on stuff in the distance. For me it looked jarring.

I agree in principle with your SIM games, in practice I'm still logging onto Animal Crossing daily

Wargoose

TJWorks

@Wargoose DMC reboot was a lot of fun. The story sucked, but I didn't pick it up for the story. And I don't remember the frame rate being an issue.

Wish I could share the same feeling with AC. I only tried New Leaf but I gave up on it after 2 days. I'm a terrible mayor.

TJWorks

NEStalgia

Unpopular opinion #1: Chocobo Mystery Dungeon is a substantially better series than Pokemon Mystery Dungeon which feels disorganized, unfocused, and ultimately based on asset re-use. Chocobo Mystery feels like an actual fleshed out game.

Unpopular opinion #2: ACNH is a terrible AC game and feels more like a daily checklist of required chores, designed to waste as much time as possible using every mobile game design trope in existence, except not for money. Any time I play it I spend a good chunk of time re-doing the same exact things I already did a hundred times (Gulliver is beached...again! The ghost lost his spirit....again! Rebuilding the same tools....again! Gathering the same resources with RNG success....again!, running EVERY. SINGLE. ITEM. to Blathers.....again! I play for an hour or two and look back and feel like I wasted time I could have spent playing something fun. I haven't even gotten to the "terraforming"...I can't stay engaged well enough to get that far. It's like a direct clone of ACNL (which I absolutely loved and waited since then for another entry!) but with endless amounts of repetitive, annoying mobile garbage in front of it, and the most cumbersome UX imagined to date.

I actually wanted a crafting and resource gathering system in the game after playing Fantasy Life right after ACNL and thinking that should be the future of AC....but they way they implemented it makes the game worse, instead of better....

NEStalgia

NotTelevision

@NEStalgia I’m inclined to agree with any criticisms of Animal Crossing: New Horizons when it comes to the game being a kind of “waste of time”. But I think sort of the point is that it is like a busy work type of game minus the micro -transactions. So whenever I do check back in, it’s usually with a coffee or beer with a podcast in the background. It’s even more stagnant than the typical farming sim, because so little changes from day to day and a lot of it is mindless, but then you have to come up with little tasks to make it worth it. Like “hey now I can build a bridge here”, then you pay it back. Next day... “hey now I can walk over the bridge I paid for”. It’s like a series of rather shallow goals you set for yourself in this world that most of time you are only half paying attention to.

I am a bit happy such a game exist as a brief escape into meaninglessness busy work, but I can’t really blame anyone for criticizing it. There are little touches of dialogue and random events that create a sense of intrigue, but they don’t alter the gameplay or repetitive chores in any way.

So yes I will continually jam the “A” button and buy 20 bell vouchers to pay my debt to that raccoon who says the same thing to me everyday. I don’t know the point but I guess it’s just something to look at while you decompress.

Hardly the apex of gaming but it’s definely more variety than a mobile game.

I still consider Stardew Valley a superior sort of game bacause as you develop relationships with the townsfolk you learn more about the place and how growing up in this place has shaped their worldview and choices.

AC takes a less story-centric approach and let’s you choose the change the island and the inhabitants at will. This had both positive and negative aspects. The most negative being the lack of any cohesive world to latch onto. So you are left with a bunch of pieces of things you assembled that don’t match up to much.

So I guess it’s a real sandbox game in that sense. It’s what you ultimately get out of these pieces and parts.

Edited on by NotTelevision

NotTelevision

NEStalgia

@NotTelevision The thing that bothers me is....Animal Crossing has always been that. But it managed to stay engaging like a happy go lucky world to relax into but find things to do. It was tedious to a point, but still relaxing. ACNH in particular breaks everything and makes it much more like a mobile game. Resource gathering and crafting added goal-based gameplay the series needed to reinvigorate with, IMO, but they way they implemented it apes from mobile. Force limitations of extremes. You need X amount of ore, gold, etc, but you can only get so much per day and only by RNG......and then your tools where the better but still bad forms still take more. Extreme inventory limitations. Extreme limitations in how to access that inventory. These all ape mobile mechanisms that are designed purposely to be infuriating to get you to pay money to make them go away. This game implements those infuriating mechanisms....because the devs think it's fun.

What you describe is the way I'd describe ACNL....but ACNH breaks that. It tried half way to make it a proper "game" - but only half way, and then used all sorts of (typically) intentionally frustrating limits that mobile games do. Redd's boat is in the little canyon in the back. Why do I have to go over the water, get the ladder, go up the cliff, then up the next cliff, then the pole to vault over the stream, then back to the ladder to go down the cliff.....visit the boat....then do it all again in reverse, just to check the art? Why does Gulliver make me tediously find the same 5 parts weekly? ACNL didn't seem so....needlessly repetitive and drawn out in every UI choice.

ACNL was on of my most memorable gaming experiences.....ACNH seems like the devs thought "what if we remake ACNL, but remove most of the fun and replace it with tedium and irritating tests of patience?"

ACNL was escapism into a simple world to exist in. I'd stay up until midnight just to do an island bug run. ACNH feels like tedious checklisting, not even to meet the games objectives, but simply to complete your OTHER checklisting in the game. And it charges you to do runs to other islands with Miles. Which require tedious repetitive checklisting tasks to get more of.... The primary game loop replicates a call center's phone menu loop.

For customer service, press 1. For information about your account, press 2. For all other inquiries press 3.

For customer service, press 1. For information about your account, press 2. For all other inquiries, press 3.

Would you like information about your account? Say "Yes" or "No"

"yes"

I didn't understand that. Would you like information about your account? Say "Yes" or "No"

"yes"

For customer service, press 1. For information about your account, press 2. For all other inquiries, press 3.

"$$#@$@ you you $#@ $#@ automaton piece of #$@ing $#@$!!"

Please wait while I look up your account details....

NEStalgia

Wargoose

@NotTelevision Yeah I like New Horizons but there's so much time wasting. Simple things like being able to craft multiple things at once, being able to submit fossils like regular creatures, and shortening the repetitive dialogue. I get it Timmy, you can't buy turnips on a Sunday. I wasn't trying to the first time, and newsflash I'm not trying to the 12th time. Also I don't need a phone call each morning, telling me how much I sold last night, I was there.

Wargoose

NotTelevision

@NEStalgia Yeah I agree that UI changes would go a long way to making the game seem less like a chore. Like you said, once you are near a cliff face there isn’t any reason the player should need to select the ladder to go up or down. You should just press “A” and automatically enter the animation since there isn’t any other choice a player would make in this instance. Same with the pole vault.

Inventory management should also be streamlined better so you can easily combine items without dropping them and picking them back up again. I can’t believe Nintendo didn’t implement this feature yet.

Also a “drop box” item you can build would be nice. So any item I wouldn’t need right now can be placed in there and be deposited in a location close to Nook’s Cranny. And no no no Nintendo don’t give me the text cloud “This is the drop box.” “Do you want to deposit some items” “Yes, No” .... “Are you sure you want to deposit these items?”.... haha.

I’m not sure many of the above or other annoyances will ever be patched out/resolved though.

@Wargoose Crafting/selling multiple items would go a long way.

Haha and the Timmy call everyday is pretty silly. I mean at this point I trust the guy isn’t trying to rip me off and is really putting the money into the ATM. Not sure why the game needs to stop you everytime with this information.

NotTelevision

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
Both ACNL and ACNH have same repetitive things.
ACNH felt way much better than ACNL.
Not to mention about ability to display furnitures outside the buildings, quick crafting and modding color, villagers will not moving out by themself without my permission, ability to relocate buildings, scoop out a whole tree, breaking rock stones easily, etc.
ACNH was my first Nintendo game made me want to play more than 3 hours everyday. Soon, i will break Grandma Audrey's gameplay hour record. I accepted that challenge.

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@Wargoose @NotTelevision Yeah...all that stuff. The fossils. Oh boy the fossils. Having to listen to Blathers give the same speech every single time.....and that dreaded moment you deal with all the fossils. Listen to him. Analyze them. Listen do him. Donate them. Listen to him. Then leave, walk to the store, listen to Timmy....go through the menu...sell the remaining ones (or just use the box), then you find ONE MORE FOSSIL you missed and have to do it all over again. And you do this. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. It's a slow torture and the opposite of fun. I find I mash the A, B, or both buttons furiously the entire time the dialog runs....it makes me feel like I can do SOMETHING to end the torture. My buttons probably have 3,000 actuation just from Blathers' dialogue alone....

I don't even fish anymore. I can't stand the dialog boxes every time. I avoid crafting until I've queued things. I can't stand inefficiency...and this game force feeds you inefficiency at every turn with no way out. Heck, open micro-transactions.....I'LL BUY MY WAY OUT!! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

It's like they just copied ACNL and took all the 3DS necessary annoyances and bolted tons of new systems on top of the already fragile foundation and didn't bother making sure it all worked together. And they took years and a half a year delay to make this happen. I'm guessing they spent so much time on the terraforming idea they never actually fleshed out basic game design other than the new stuff being glued onto the 3DS stuff. I haven't even unlocked terraforming. I probably never will because I can't stand Blathers going on one single day. Nook told me resident services is moving out of the tent....I haven't loaded the game since. Next time I start it I'll have the new town hall. Wonder if I'll ever go beyond that. It's just too frustrating.

@Anti-Matter I don't think ACNL had anywhere close to the level of repetition this game has. AC is repetitive by nature, but there was a balance in ACNL that made it leisurely rather than feeling like a wall in front of you and an endless array of checklist items. One big example is Nook Miles. The random array of 5 "cards" of menial tasks to checklist to get more Nook Miles. It's just endless busy work "grinding" currency, but unlike an RPG where grinding means playing the game and battling, in this game it just means checklisting boring tasks over and over again "Plant 1 fruit tree" "Gather 15 wood". It makes Xenoblade 1's quests seem positively engaging by contrast...

Yes, ACNH provides a lot more customization and control. Those aspects aren't problematic. It's all the tedium you have to go through to get there at all that is problematic. ACNH does want you to play more than 3 hours every day.....hours and hours of boring menial tasks to check them off the list....not fun and engaging gameplay. Maybe once you open up all the creativity features it gets more engaging. But I compare that to criticism FFXIII - "After the first 40-50 hours the game really opens up!" Except this is worse. XIII was narrow and linear....but not entirely infuriating and boring at the same time.

NEStalgia

WoomyNNYes

Regarding zelda,
🤪Like... I think too many Zelda games focus on, like, swords? and stuff?... like, ya know? And like, ganon is bad? I think there just needs to be, like, an escalator? for Link to step onto? And he can hold a hand out, and passively slap bokoblins as the escalator moves link by them. And then princess zelda, will just like, just be at the end? and hug? And the whole game should last, like, two hours. And epona can stand on the escalator too. 🤪

Forgive me everybody

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

jump

@WoomyNNYes I think you’re too conservative with the changes. Whilst the escalator is great addition to remove the walking sim aspects whilst keeping it open world (which seems to make the kids happy) you need to keep pushing it!

They have already replaced Epona with a motorbike and everyone wants a new Mario Kart so combine the two and have everyone in the game in vehicles all the time, the vehicles should mostly be karts but Link can ride his motorbike still.

Link, Zelda and Ganon are overused at this point and are normally changed out with new games anyway so let’s just get rid of them. GTA is popular, lets have them be thugs instead and work that into the story, Link is a John, Ganon a pimp and Zelda a ho and Link is on a quest to save her from the evil pimp.

A new renewed focus should be on its story so they should bring in some of Hollywood’s biggest names to work on it like Michael Bay, M Night Shyamalan and Uwe Boll.

Star Wars was successful, perhaps get rid of the the swords for lightsaber. As they can’t be lightsabers Ninty will have to create their own version, perhaps they are sparkly glitter instead of light. They can then sell them as toys in the shop.

Most importantly it needs to be VR and in FP.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

WoomyNNYes

Those are, like, some excellent ideas? @jump haha

I like the idea of merging Nintendo games? More big game releases, just like? stresses me out? Every time Nintendo made a direct packed with big-deal-games & surprise announcements, I was just like?...You're totally harshing my chill right now?....I mean, I still have, like? Gamecube games? Could you, like? slow down? Nintendo? 🤪

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Anti-Matter

Unpopular opinions.

I never consider Time Travelling in Animal Crossing as a cheating.
But hacking the town / island with unauthorized contents is definitely a cheating.
And i really hate to see peoples keep bashing my unpopular way to play Animal Crossing New Horizons.
I bought the game late, on 27 June 2020.
I missed the Easter event, Rover Maze event, Wedding event but i could revisit them after June 2020 by time travelling.
I have no time to play ACNH very slow.
My time is not worthy to play games with very slow pace.
I still have something important things to do rather than being controlled by a game with time gimmick to force player to play on wrong time.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic