Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,941 to 6,960 of 12,088

Losermagnet

There's not much worse than the N64 controller. Going from that to the GC is a great leap in quality.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Krull

@RPGamer Can’t speak up for Trials, as I’ve not played it - but it is more or less a quarter of a century old. I know it’s a pretty hefty update, but there are bound to be some rough edges.

There is much to dislike about Squenix - the price gouging on shoddy ports, the hideous remakes and remasters, the promised games that never seem to show up - but at least it still focuses on a genre of gaming you love. There aren’t that many makers of AAA JRPGs. While Atlus and Falcom may have overtaken Squenix in some (many) respects, they can’t bring the sheer budgets and scope that Square can. Only some of the western developers (CD Projekt Red, Sony’s Guerilla Games, maybe BioWare when it’s not shooting itself in the foot) can bring that same level of resources and polish. Like it or loathe it, the RPG scene is better off with Square Enix in it.

Edited on by Krull

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Ferdinand_Von_Aegir

Everything Mario (Now) Is Bad. Your probably SCREEMING At your screen right now saying "Did you forget about Mario Odyssey?" No, I Did not. I am NOT A fan of 30 platformers. AND THE 2D SECTIONS! They are so bad that they can go into a fire and burn. The reason why is because YOU CAN'T USE THE D-PAD! I Can't play Anything 2D With a thumb Stick. Even in Odyssey's menus, I can use the D-pad. I think Nintendo thinks that it will be hard to switch to the D-Pad for the 2D Sections. Well than why do you allow us to use the D-Pad in the menu? It just makes no sense. And 2D Mario. You all know about the New Super Mario Series. It's Bad, I know we can all agree on that. And Mario Kart. There is no skill in it. You could be way better than everyone else, but that person in the back gets One overpowered item and wins. IT'S JUST LUCK! The best thing to come out of Mario In the past decade is Mario Maker. But still Mario Maker is not the best. It could be real fun if you could like get level blueprints from the main Mario games and use those to help you design a level, but you can't post the stage online.

Edited on by Ferdinand_Von_Aegir

Fire Emblem Three Houses is my favorite game
Ashe is the best character in FE:3H
Waluigi For Smash
The game I want most on switch is a new WarioWare (Welp. we got that!)
My favorite movie is Toy Story 3

Switch Friend Code: SW-0370-6056-2926 | 3DS Friend Code: 3755-1656-4298 | My Nintendo: LatsaSpege

jump

@LatsaSpege I wasn't hugely keen on Odyssey too, whilst enjoyable it felt overhyped. To me it was more like a Lego game than a 3D Mario where the moons are just scattered across the level as opposed to a well designed goal to achieve. However I find Mario Maker, + Rabbids and Kart to have been superb this gen.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

NotTelevision

@NEStalgia Good point about the analog triggers being part of the gameplay “gimmicks” of the time. They’ve become a feature of mainstream controller design, so I took the novelty of their introduction for granted.

NotTelevision

SomeBitTripFan

@NEStalgia I can't speak for the quality of the Xbox controllers, but I'd argue the Dualshock imitators were more focused on familiarity than quality. The PS2's overwhelming success and ubiquity was the reason every game controller or depiction of one was a Dualshock-knockoff. Even with my small hands, the Dualshock is a cramped nightmare of a controller to hold.

The biggest success of the Gamecube is being the first modern controller with actually good ergonomics. The unique, experimental aspects of its design are why it's still discussed, since no controller explicitly outdoes the Gamecube for its exact strengths and Smash and Wii compatibility let it outlive its generation. I think the virtues of the controller are overstated, especially with the existence of the Dualshock 4 and Switch Pro Controller, but a Gamecube 2 would have potential as a very strong controller.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

NEStalgia

@SomeBitTripFan Yeah, but the DualShock was - literally - an SNES rip-off with hand-grips and a second set of bumpers that later shoehorned thumbstocks onto it to copy the N64 It's still Nintendo's design, ultimately.

NEStalgia

SomeBitTripFan

@NEStalgia I'd say the SNES controller is actually really good. Just being a flat slab that you sorta pinch and not having to extensively worry about moving your thumbs or having to adjust your grip on the controller. It's also a fair bit larger. The handles are the biggest issue on the Dualshock. They suggest a very tight, cramped grip that also makes it difficult for my thumb to reach and especially push the analogue stick rightward. If you loosen your grip and tilt your hand to grip the controller more from the front, it's actually more comfortable. DS4 proved they can make it work, but the Dualshock's ergonomics were not where they needed to be.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

NEStalgia

@SomeBitTripFan yeah i agree. I think everyone likes the snes controller..... And it remains the standard for all now. And i also dislike dualshock. 4 is ok, but only ok. 5 looks decent but looks like a Logitech clone of a ds. But 1-3, the small grips and the parallel sticks at the bottom are an economic disaster. The offset sticks in xbox and switch are quite a bit more natural.

Now let's be quiet and hide before Ralizah hears that......

NEStalgia

BabyYoda71

1-2- Switch is great!

So is Nintendo Labo!

Splatoon 2 is completely overrated.

So is DKC:TF

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

NEStalgia

@BabyYoshi12 I'm not sure a agree on 12 switch but i can see the argument. But dissing Splatoon? That crossed a line, buddy...

NEStalgia

BabyYoda71

@NEStalgia It’s good, just not as good as people say it is.

Plus, the Story Mode is impossible. I can’t even beat Level 1!

BabyYoda71

@LatsaSpege I disagree with everything you said other than Mario Maker is the best Mario game ever.

I suppose that’s why it’s an unpopular opinion....

Is it an unpopular opinion that Mario Maker 2 is possibly better than Odyssey?

Ralizah

BabyYoshi12 wrote:

Plus, the Story Mode is impossible. I can’t even beat Level 1!

...Splatoon 2's default story mode?

What did you find difficult about it?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

BabyYoda71

@Ralizah You only have 3 lives to beat a pretty hard level.... I beat Level 1 once, but I lost Level 2 and had to restart Level 1! It’s impossible.

NEStalgia

@BabyYoshi12 story mode is more or less a gameplay tutorial disguised as a platformer. With it's vertical platforming it does play very differently from the main game though.... It's not particularly hard but i can understand not being suited to the genre. Splatoon is a game that you get out of it what you put into it. The more you play the better you get. If you're finding the campaign difficult, that would explain why you don't enjoy the game that much though... You're still struggling with the fundamentals of the mechanics. But it's possible to be decent with the real game and never figure out the vertical platforming campaign though.

If you're not great at the stock campaign though, definitely avoid the expansion. That's basically "Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels for Splatoon"

NEStalgia

BabyYoda71

@NEStalgia Yeah, I’m not planning for the expansion pass?

NEStalgia

@BabyYoshi12 good plan! But anyway Splatoon is brilliant..... If you can build skill and play well. Obviously no g game seems fun if you're not good at it! It plays fast fast fast though..... That isn't going to be for everyone.

NEStalgia

Maulbert

The Gamecube controller is the most overrated controller ever. The D-pad is too small and hard to use, the C-stick is an inferior second joystick, a lack of a second pair of shoulder buttons save for the AWFUL Z button which was actually painful to use, and I hated the face button layout.

However, to be fair, they got 2 things right: octagonal directional guides for the sticks, and extremely comfortable shoulder buttons. It doesn't make up for the rest, though.

Maulbert

Maaryotyme

@BabyYoshi12 level 1 is more of a tutorial. Like nestalgia said it teaches you the fundamentals. Splatoons a great game but then again I could be wrong as 12 switch is one of your favourite games 😉

Maaryotyme

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic