Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,741 to 6,760 of 12,088

Ralizah

Anything with RPG aspects has aged terribly on NES. As have exploratory games like Metroid and The Legend of Zelda.

But action games like Castlevania I + III, Mega Man 2 - 6, Contra, Super C, Ninja Gaiden, etc.? Aged amazingly well.

As have a number of the platformers, puzzle games, and a lot of the really weird, off-the-wall releases the system received.

Some of the games might be hard for modern gamers to go back to, but the majority of well-known franchises date back to the NES. It's almost staggering how many big properties began on that system.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NotTelevision

I’ll admit a bias here, but I think the NES belongs firmly behind the Super Nintendo as best Nintendo console. There are so many games on the console that I never get tired of. But I know that is because I grew up with it.

NotTelevision

Cotillion

@Ralizah I, too, like silent protagonists. Two that jump out right away are Samus (initially, before they started giving her dialogue in more recent games). Super and Prime were great for it. Super not even having any dialogue after the initial recap of the first two games.
But, the best one for me off the top of my head is Gordon Freeman. I love that about those games. He never speaks, you never get cutscenes or any story outside of what Gordon himself can personally see and/or hear. It makes for a very immersive experience for me to have no information outside of what the player character can themselves observe (especially being first person). It really puts you in there as the character.

Cotillion

ALinkttPresent

I think Paper Mario: Sticker Star is the best single player game on the 3DS (and yes, I have a lot of them). I always avoid the internet when I'm playing a new game so I don't get it spoiled for me, and after I beat it I was really excited to go online and read about how much everyone else loved it. I'm apparently in the minority.
The gameplay reminds me a lot of Zelda (far more than the gameplay of Breath of the Wild does). The only problem I had with it was that it was really frustrating at times to figure out what you were supposed to do next. The story was really emotional and made me cry, and I think hiding Heart Containers throughout the game instead of having an XP/level up system like most RPGs was really fun and unique. I also had a lot of fun with the parts where Mario has to come out of the page to peel something off, that was just Nintendo-y goodness.

ALinkttPresent

SomeBitTripFan

Adding to the NES discussion, Punchout and Zelda II aged pretty well. Aside from some very obscure tasks necessary to progression (namely the way to get to the Third Temple), the second game aged far better than the first.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

kkslider5552000

That I don't agree with but to be fair, I kinda suck at Zelda 2. :V

I actually like Zelda 1 as much as LTTP tbh. But LTTP is not one of my favorite Zeldas either...

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jump

I’m surprised Master Blaster wasn’t mentioned in the talk of NES games that hold up. I played it 20 years after its release and found it to be a quality title.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

jump

kkslider5552000 wrote:

That's because its called Blaster Master. Common mistake.

My bad. It’s still a great game though, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet etc

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

iKhan

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I feel Motoi Sakuraba's music is rather hit or miss for me.

Some of his stuff is brilliant like Awkward Justice, but that brilliance is among a sea of generic mediocrity.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

BabyYoda71

I don’t know if this is unpopular, but Super Mario Run is actually a great mobile game.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

iKhan

BabyYoshi65 wrote:

I don’t know if this is unpopular, but Super Mario Run is actually a great mobile game.

I don't disagree with that. But I do feel it was overpriced, and worse, it was online only for a stupid reason. I pretty much exclusively play mobile games in situations where I don't have internet access (airplanes), so it completely wasted any potential it might have for me.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

BabyYoda71

@iKhan It was overpriced, but I bought it when it was half off.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

Ralizah

Super Mario Run's free-to-start approach was interesting, and it's the only one of Nintendo's mobile games that feels ethical. lol

I'm not a massive fan, but I bought it, and don't really regret it.

Too bad they've tasted that sweet, sweet "free to play" blood money. We'll never get another proper mobile release from them ever again.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

MarioVillager92

@iKhan I agree with you on that online-only thing. They could've at least made it so that Toad Rally (that mode where you're racing another player's ghost data online) would be the only mode that requires an internet connection. Playing the game offline would've been nice...

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

MarioVillager92

Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion or not, but in games like Mario Kart, I like playing as the good guys over the villains/anti-heroes. I tend to play as Mario quite a lot - that's just how I roll. lol

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

MS7000

Regarding Super Mario Run, I brought it a full price. I had a gut feeling going in that it is a mobile game and will automatically be of certain quality but because it was Nintendo's first foray into mobile gaming, I decided to give it a chance. The game itself nice presented and runs well enough, but the gameplay honestly didn't hold my attention (price of being able to eat a burger whilst playing eh Miyamoto?). I don't think the price itself was bad for what I got, but in a market full of free-to-play games and games that cost about £2 maximum to buy otherwise, it is no wonder Nintendo's approach didn't take off, which is why we now have predatory Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem on mobile. Super Mario Run is a great mobile game for what it is, but my personal problem was that is is at the end of the day still a mobile game.

@MarioLover92 Admittedly not something I have ever sounded out before. To be fair, I normally play as either Waluigi, King Boo, or Wario; I guess the allure is that these are more quirky characters than a moral compass like Mario, but nothing wrong with Mario. Heck, the game is named after him!

Possible unpopular opinion. I think 3D is a great feature of the 3DS and always keep it turned on as I find it adds to the games. I know some people physically hurt from this so turn it off which makes sense but I feel like there are quite a few people who keep it turned off regardless and I feel like that is a shame (wouldn't surprise me if the viewing angle had anything to do with it).

Signature, huh? Where do I sign?

Laoak

I think this is unpopular but i think that for a new character for smash, Waluigi is not a good pick. There is barely anything that unique about him unlike other Mario characters like Geno or Paper Mario (my personal pick for a new Mario rep is definitely Paper Mario)

Edited on by Laoak

{funny quote here}

MarioVillager92

@MS7000 Yeah I can see where you're coming from. My brother liked playing as King Boo in Mario Kart Wii.

@Laoak Yes, I would love for Paper Mario to be playable in Smash too

LzWinky

Laoak wrote:

I think this is unpopular but i think that for a new character for smash, Waluigi is not a good pick. There is barely anything that unique about him

As opposed to Duck Hunt? Or Piranha Plant?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic