Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 4,441 to 4,460 of 12,088

Shinion

@DarthNocturnal: I make it a pretty neck-and-neck battle between the PS2 and GameCube as to which had the 'best' 1st party games. Personally, I think both systems are extremely overrated in certain areas, the GC heralded by some as the last 'great' Nintendo console, and the PS2 heralded by some as the 'GOAT' of gaming systems. I had fun with several games from each, my standout 1st party for the PS2 being Shadow of the Colossus and for the GC I would handpick Wind Waker. Those two being what a lot of people would say are fantastic, possibly the best of the era.

But yeah I think almost every major franchise from Nintendo and Sony went onto better things and both have since made many great new IPs that weren't possible on that generation of systems. I think it's hard to argue against the PS2's still unmatched success (at least for home consoles) but I wouldn't say it's in a league of its own, not even ahead of the GameCube. The GameCube got Resident Evil 4 first, one of the best games ever, as well as the better version, and that is significant. At least for me.

Shinion

veeflames

Did anyone actually use the DVD feature of the PS2? LOL. Everyone I know just played FIFA and God Of War on it.... :/
@MrMario002 I think the GameCube is the perfect console. I had fun every second I played my GC, and the best part was that there was a perfect (well, decent for most people) blend of first and third party games for me to play. I don't think any system can beat that. To address the flaws you listed:
1. Well, can't argue with that. I thought the discs were cute, though. I love small, curvy things.
2. LOL, name one thing you have that doesn't "stand out" in your living room. The handle behind the system is admittedly unnecessary, although it makes it very portable (easy to carry around).
3. Uh..... I don't think it was necessary at the time to include BC for home consoles. Even if it was a small, added bonus.
Besides, all these flaws didn't stop the GameCube from having a solid library of titles. Which were a joy to play because of the excellent, weird-looking controller.
While I'm at it, my unpopular opinion: Wii U is my personal GameCube 2.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Freeon-Leon

Remember the Krauser QTE knife fight? You could only play it as intended when playing on Gamecube.

Although pointer controls were amazing on the Wii edition.

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

Socar

@DarthNocturnal: I give games a chance when I get them. I tried Valkyria Chronicles and it wasn't that great to me. Its just decent with a bland plot and half solid gameplay.

That nice bonus is what spoiled this gen if you ask me. What.....ONE is more of a setup box than an actual game console and the reason that some games weren't running properly on One was because Microsoft spent too much time making it act as a TV set rather than a dedicated game console. And launch of PS4....what games did it have early at launch?

Nintendo is the only one who made this gen feel worthy. Yes, they didn't do a fine launch for the Wii U but there are great games for it and the same goes for the 3DS.

@TingLz: Actually, the PS1's success was partly because of Nintendo's relationship with Sony and Sony wasn't that of an expert in games like Nintendo so they managed to learn from the best while still rivaling against them....so yeah, pretty lucky to make that kind of a deal.

Again, the PS2 only had around 100 games exclusive on PS2. Gamecube? Like more than that. I bet that the amount of Nintendo games in there alone beats the amount of first party games the PS2 had.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

LzWinky

The PS2 also had over 150 million sales. That's more than just luck

Besides, the DVD menu was awful on the PS2. I just bought a cheap DVD player on the side

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Whydoievenbother

@TingLz: Yeah. The DVD menu barely worked, even with the PS2 Remote.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

AlliMeadow

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Socar wrote:

@DarthNocturnal: I give games a chance when I get them. I tried Valkyria Chronicles and it wasn't that great to me. Its just decent with a bland plot and half solid gameplay.

OK, so you didn't like it. That's fair. Now, try more games. I find it hard to believe that you can't find ANYTHING non-Nintendo that you might enjoy.

I don't necessarily agree with Socar, but I have played very few none-Nintendo games that I've enjoyed, and I really don't care. There are so many good Nintendo games for me to enjoy, and my backlog is piling up because I just want to play them all. The few non-Nintendo games I do want to play aren't available on the Wii U or 3DS and I'd rather spend money on more games for my current platforms than on another console.

So I guess my unpopular opinion is that I generally don't bother with games that aren't published by Nintendo.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

DefHalan

I had a conversation recently with a friend that thought Free-to-play games are always worst than packaged games. (Games that require a purchase for the content) but he was find with DLC and Season Passes.

Not sure if his opinion was unpopular or if mine is. (I was saying Free-to-Play is just a way to sell the game. A game can be good or bad wheater it is sold as a package or Free-to-Play)

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Socar

@DarthNocturnal: Hm....let's see. I've played lots of PC games, had played That lame crossover of Pheonix Wright and Professor Layton and didn't enjoy it one bit, and used to play lots of third party games on PS1..... and recently, I played Final Fantasy Tactics.

Add that and I'd say, lot of them weren't that memorable or fun to me. Yet I still try searching for games and still can't accept them in the same level as Nintendo. The only ones that do that are SEGA with Phantasy Star and Sonic as well as Shinobi.

Rumorlife

Definitely agree that console launches are usually a bore. It's a hype train in real life, inside the stores. I can't remember the last launch that had more than 1-2 games I wanted, if ever? The GBA, DS, 3DS, Wii, and WiiU were all boring and easily took a year or more for me to get into. The GCN was maybe the last one I remember that wasn't so much of a bore, but I think it took me longer to buy that system than others, but the commercials and the push they made seemed more interesting at the time. Or maybe we weren't jaded yet by bad openings, idk.

I got so bored of the Wii & DS I stopped playing pretty much all video games from 2010-2013 until I got my 3DS and it blew my mind.

Also on the PS2, I think it had a lot of amazing titles, but also tons of crap that I'd prefer to forget. TONS. In fact so much was made, we STILL have a couple PS2 titles in my Best Buy. Nobody wants it, and then I also saw some PS2 games at Toys R Us recently. Everything was reduced price but it was junk that I dunno how they ever even kept. When I see them, I think of the people in Brazil (or w/e) that were still playing PS2 in 2014 because the PS3 was too expensive to import and they stopped local sales.

Lol I bought a PS3 to play cheap PS2 (and PS1) downloads as well. No sense in paying $70-90 for each Fatal Frame or Persona game just for a physical box :/

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

LzWinky

Well, launches aren't supposed to be THAT big.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Whydoievenbother

I just realized something. For as much as people complain about the lack of Backwards Compatibility in modern consoles, Backwards Compatibility is bigger than it's ever been:
1. NES and Sega Master System were the first cartridge based systems for their respective companies.
2. SNES didn't have BC, Genesis did via a peripheral.
3. Nintendo 64 didn't have BC, the Playstation was Sony's first console.
4. PS2 had BC, Gamecube didn't, and XBOX Classic was Microsoft's first console.
5. Wii did while also having a digital store for classic games, PS3 did at first, but quit because of the cost but still had digital downloads for classic games, XBOX 360 had nothing.
6. Wii U Has BC and Digital Classics, PS4 has Digital Classics, XBOX ONE has partial BC.

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Buizel

MrMario02 wrote:

I just realized something. For as much as people complain about the lack of Backwards Compatibility in modern consoles, Backwards Compatibility is bigger than it's ever been:
1. NES and Sega Master System were the first cartridge based systems for their respective companies.
5. Wii did while also having a digital store for classic games, PS3 did at first, but quit because of the cost but still had digital downloads for classic games, XBOX 360 had nothing.
6. Wii U Has BC and Digital Classics, PS4 has Digital Classics, XBOX ONE has partial BC.

This is largely because standards have changed. When something is more commonly done, people will notice when it isn't. Also as time goes on, you've of course got more titles/consoles to be backwards compatible with...

Also PS3 had PS1 BC even after they ditched PS2 BC (not sure about the later models though), and XB360 had partial Xbox BC in a similar manner to the One/360 situation now.

Really, looking at it, the only console with a major BC issue in the past couple of generations is the PS4 (though it's probably the PS3 that's to blame here).

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

DefHalan

Buizel wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

This is largely because standards have changed. When something is more commonly done, people will notice when it isn't. Also as time goes on, you've of course got more titles/consoles to be backwards compatible with...

Also PS3 had PS1 BC even after they ditched PS2 BC (not sure about the later models though), and XB360 had partial Xbox BC in a similar manner to the One/360 situation now.

Really, looking at it, the only console with a major BC issue in the past couple of generations is the PS4.

PC and Mobile are also backwards compatible. Majority of gaming devices are backwards compatible by a large margin actually.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Socar

People who often say that fanboys worship the hell out of their favorite corporations and whatnot are just the ones who don't face reality and just want to stay positive......ok, I just want to ask this.

What is the problem here? A corporation that exists to make money and needs you to give them money by giving you something that you like from them, so giving them money and them giving you satisfaction makes you trust them and stay positive on them.

That's like saying to parents that they shouldn't encourage their kids to what they want to do in life or what they desire in life because kids will be kids and doing that parenting is going to make them better.....which honestly doesn't most of the time.

Whenever I want to praise Nintendo, people always mock at me and say "oh a fanboy and a dumb one too!" or even more rotten.

If I want to stay positive and just say positive things about the latest game, why is it that you or anyone else have to take it that we don't like negative feedback for the game? People were wrong that Fates was gonna screw up Fire Emblem as it sold big time instead. People were wrong that the Wii U isn't making profit and it now ends up doing so (not much but still).

So why is it that when I want to say a positive thing like Miitomo having 3 million downloads is a really great start, you or someone wants to be negative about it and just makes a rant about it and then trolls around being a fanboy and what not?

You do realize that there are actual people that work in companies right? The ones that have families and other personal lives? Its wrong to encourage them because they want your money and that your money is what keeps them going so you are better off ranting at a video and then do some damage control.

I'll admit that I did some damage control when it came to SEGA.....and I feel really bad about it and I'm not going to be like that anymore as much as possible. I know that's not going to be everyone's cup of tea being loyal to a company and all.....so why rant to the ones who want to stay loyal? They just want the best out of the corporation so being loyal is obviously going to help them be better.

Infact, if majority of us weren't loyal, I highly doubt that Nintendo would be loved ever unlike now. I love Nintendo and nothing can change that....even if I want to be negative about a game they are making.

It might not be my cup of tea and yes, there are sometimes where games get disappointing (Sticker Star, Dark Moon to name a few), but majority of the times, Nintendo has never let me down nor have they made me felt bad that I got a horrible game from them and all.....and that is something worth saying now seeing that we are now in a period where AAA games need microtransactions and DLC to make profit as well as getting day one patches which is sad.

Edited on by Socar

jump

^The only peson I saw saying Fates would flop was you, it was something about not selling 3 million copies so it'll be cancelled forever.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Whydoievenbother

@Socar: People aren't against people being fans. People are against the blind worshiping of companies. Like say, saying that all criticism against a company is unjustified for stupid reasons (I.E. something you did earlier in the thread).

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

jump

^yeah, it looks to me Artwark like is trying to have his fanboy cake and eat it too.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Freeon-Leon

@CreamyDream: I know this is not your point, but Hyrule Warriors and, especially, SMM are worth every peso I paid. Over 300 hours of SMM, plus learning about level design were amazing value for my money.

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic