Forums

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: Diegetic Themes (Round 3)

Posts 281 to 300 of 317

Late

Philistine - No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

This is the US version. Europe and Japan had a different version. Both are great but I feel like this version fits the theme better.

Late

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

TJWorks

Soo... have people ran out of diegetic songs to use? It's gotten quiet all of a sudden.

TJWorks

Dogorilla

No one's nominated Jump Up, Super Star yet! The only reason I didn't is because I was sure someone else would, so I might as well submit that as a fifth nomination if nobody else is going to.

Dogorilla

ThePirateCaptain

I count about 10 or 11 songs so far. If we get to 16 that’s enough to start the tournament.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

TJWorks

I'm digging through my entire playlist to find songs that try fit the diegetic theme, but it's tricky, and options are sparse. I'm trying to avoid picking the same games too for variety's sake.

What about games where BGM is being played by an in-game radio station or an in-game media player? For example, in Jet Set Radio, there's a DJ character actively playing in-game music, and when you start the mission, you hear fuzzy audio scratching as the BGM transitions into the chosen level's BGM. Would this count?

I'll leave these nominations anyway. These are the only other games I can think of that may or may not count as diegetic music.

Edited on by TJWorks

TJWorks

Dogorilla

@TJWorks Yeah I'd say that counts.

I'll also nominate Build That Wall from Bastion; I can't remember exactly how it's integrated in the game but I think it counts as diegetic.

One of the songs I had in mind originally was Melodies of Life from Final Fantasy IX because I was thinking Garnet sung it at one point in the game, but in actual fact it seems I was wrong about that. If we ever do a general vocal themes tournament I can nominate it at least.

Dogorilla

Krull

I vote for the yellow theme in LocoRoco! Your little dudes sing along as you play. Love it!

I feel like Transistor had diegetic music, but I’m not sure now...

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Dogorilla

@BruceCM Oh yeah you're right. I'll nominate that as well then (this video has just the song).

By my count we have 19 songs now, which should be enough if nobody else has anything to nominate.

Edited on by Dogorilla

Dogorilla

Bankaj

Still brainstorming, much harder than I thought and I usually end up with the same games (LoZ lol).

Think we skipped an obvious one from Fire Emblem Fates. Yes, its used more than just diegetic, but I think it counts as she definitely sings it ingame:

Additionally, mentioned earlier but I think I still dont see the official nomination:

Gonna stretch it with this one, should we count it or absolutely not?

Edit: while we are stretching, how about the legendary DK rap!?

Edited on by Bankaj

Bankaj

Dogorilla

@Bankaj The music in the Pokemon one doesn't really seem to match up with what the Pokemon are doing lol. I wouldn't mind including it if you want to though, but it's up to @ThePirateCaptain.
And yeah, the DK Rap was one of the first ones I thought of, but is it actually 'good'? Debatable, but it would be fun to have it in the tournament anyway

Dogorilla

ThePirateCaptain

I’ll probably start going through the songs and make the bracket in the next 1-2 days. There’s still time to add songs if you want. We most likely won’t have 32 so the bracket will be uneven but there should be plenty for a great tournament.

ThePirateCaptain

Bankaj

Another came to mind represented on the Switch. Found a nice version where they made a little edit to give the song something extra:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - The Tale of the Tongues

Though a Playstation exclusive, I think it's a nice rep of the series which I enjoyed foremost on Nintendo Systems:

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature - Karen Sings

Edited on by Bankaj

Bankaj

ThePirateCaptain

The bracket and first round should be up sometime tomorrow. If there are any songs that don’t exactly fit the criteria let me know now. I’m not super familiar with every game so I trust everyone here to make sure we’re on track.

ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

@Bankaj
I wasn’t sure if the first 3 songs you posted were just examples or if you wanted them included in the tournament. I can still add them in if that’s the case.

Thanks to everyone who posted songs as well as for your patience. Let’s get things underway!
Link to the bracket

Round 1

Garnet’s Song - Final Fantasy IX vs. Bu Bu Poruche (Yellow’s Theme) - LocoRoco

Vote here

Want You Gone - Portal 2 vs. Jump Up, Super Star! - Super Mario Odyssey

Vote here

Main Theme - Banjo Kazooie vs. Sweet Soul Brother - Jet Set Radio

Vote here

ThePirateCaptain

Dogorilla

I voted for the LocoRoco one over my own FF nomination, I don't even know why, it just spoke to me lol

Dogorilla

Krull

Love that Portal 2 track! This is a great category, by the way. I like all of these, so far. It’s going to be a good winner.

I’m kicking myself, but I had forgotten about this absolute killer - Anna from Device6:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6oYY-KkoDAk

Shades of The Hollies in that one - it’s class! If it’s too late, it’s too late. But if you’re adding in some of Bankaj’s suggestions...

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic