Forums

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: Best City / Urban Theme (Round Two)

Posts 281 to 300 of 1,556

ThePirateCaptain

I’ll probably start going through the songs and make the bracket in the next 1-2 days. There’s still time to add songs if you want. We most likely won’t have 32 so the bracket will be uneven but there should be plenty for a great tournament.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Bankaj

Another came to mind represented on the Switch. Found a nice version where they made a little edit to give the song something extra:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - The Tale of the Tongues

Though a Playstation exclusive, I think it's a nice rep of the series which I enjoyed foremost on Nintendo Systems:

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature - Karen Sings

Edited on by Bankaj

Bankaj

ThePirateCaptain

The bracket and first round should be up sometime tomorrow. If there are any songs that don’t exactly fit the criteria let me know now. I’m not super familiar with every game so I trust everyone here to make sure we’re on track.

ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

@Bankaj
I wasn’t sure if the first 3 songs you posted were just examples or if you wanted them included in the tournament. I can still add them in if that’s the case.

Thanks to everyone who posted songs as well as for your patience. Let’s get things underway!
Link to the bracket

Round 1

Garnet’s Song - Final Fantasy IX vs. Bu Bu Poruche (Yellow’s Theme) - LocoRoco

Vote here

Want You Gone - Portal 2 vs. Jump Up, Super Star! - Super Mario Odyssey

Vote here

Main Theme - Banjo Kazooie vs. Sweet Soul Brother - Jet Set Radio

Vote here

ThePirateCaptain

Dogorilla

I voted for the LocoRoco one over my own FF nomination, I don't even know why, it just spoke to me lol

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Krull

Love that Portal 2 track! This is a great category, by the way. I like all of these, so far. It’s going to be a good winner.

I’m kicking myself, but I had forgotten about this absolute killer - Anna from Device6:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6oYY-KkoDAk

Shades of The Hollies in that one - it’s class! If it’s too late, it’s too late. But if you’re adding in some of Bankaj’s suggestions...

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

ThePirateCaptain

Alright I added the three songs from @Bankaj and the one from @Krull

Moving on from the first batch are LocoRoco, Super Mario Odyssey, and Jet Set Radio all at 3-2.
Link to the bracket

Round 1

Muck Warfare - Splatoon 2 vs. Song of Storms - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Vote here

Fly Octo Fly - Splatoon 2 vs. Kass’ Theme - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Vote here

Stale Cupcakes - Animal Crossing: New Horizons vs. DJ Subatomic Supernova - No Straight Roads

Vote here

Edited on by ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

Dogorilla

It's a shame Want You Gone and Jump Up Super Star couldn't both get through, those are two of my favourites. (Although I had Want You Gone stuck in my head for most of the day last time I listened to it so maybe it's for the best that I won't have to keep listening to it throughout the tournament...)

Funky Kong

Krull

Want You Gone is so good, I ended up buying Portal and Portal 2 the other night. Unbelievably, I’ve never actually played them. Thanks, @Dogorilla !

Dogorilla

@Krull Oh wow, I hope you enjoy them! They really are great games.

Funky Kong

ThePirateCaptain

I’m back and here to close out the opening round! Moving on this time are Song of Storms from OoT at 3-2, Fly Octo Fly from Splatoon 2 getting the tiebreaker at 3-3, and DJ Subatomic Supernova from No Straight Roads at 3-2.
Link to the bracket

Round 1

Lost in Thoughts All Alone - Fire Emblem Fates vs. Anna - Device 6

Vote here

Philistine - No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle vs. Jigglypuff’s Song - Pokémon Yellow

Vote here

Die Anywhere Else - Night in the Woods vs. Sneaky Driver - Katana Zero

Vote here

Karen Sings - Harvest Moon: Back to Nature vs. Tale of the Tounges - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Vote here

ThePirateCaptain

Krull

That Skyrim effort is ... terrible. It has neither harmony nor melody! Even Harvest Moon is better than that - and Harvest Moon is the second worst song in this bracket!

Fire Emblem v Device6 is a good contest. I’ll take the Sixties beat over the sappy J-pop, but won’t quibble if the result goes the other way.

Dogorilla

The Harvest Moon one is pleasant enough but could have done without the person recording joining in at the end

Funky Kong

Bankaj

Glad to see my nominations are as populair as usual

Granted, I was at a point that I nominated these two because I knew they had diegetic music and represent a good series (you know, to fill up the roster), rather than the actual songs and recordings to be actually good. Still thought the ending of Harvest Moon would be a an easter egg to check who of our voters actually listen before voting lol

Anyway, Harvest Moon for me baby (and see you at the finals Mario Oddysey!)

Edited on by Bankaj

Bankaj

ThePirateCaptain

That Katana Zero song may be my favorite out of all the new songs I’ve heard so far.
Moving into the next round are Fire Emblem Fates at 3-2, No More Heroes 2 at 4-1, Katana Zero at 3-2, and Harvest Moon at 4-1.
Link to the bracket

Round 2

Build That Wall - Bastion vs. Bu Bu Poruche (Yellow’s Theme) - LocoRoco

Vote here

Song of Storms - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time vs. Fly Octo Fly - Splatoon 2

Vote here

Vs. Noize - River City Girls vs. Jump Up, Super Star! - Super Mario Odyssey

Vote here

Beer, Beer, Beer - The Bard’s Tale vs. Sweet Soul Brother - Jet Set Radio

Vote here

ThePirateCaptain

TJWorks

R.I.P. River City Girls, and all contenders forced to clash with Jump Up, Superstar.

@ThePirateCaptain If you liked that, you should listen to the full OST. It's mainly Techno/Dance, but it's got some great jazz and ambient tracks mixed in. My other favorites are called Snow, Driving Force: Neon Fog and End of the Road. The bonus with this tournament is being exposed to potential new favorite soundtracks.

Edited on by TJWorks

TJWorks

Krull

@TJWorks Ha! I voted for River City Girls! But this is a Nintendo fan site, so I suspect Jump Up Super Star will make the final.

Now the Portal 2 and Device6 are out, I’m voting for Bastion all the way. Even voting against my pick of LocoRoco (which is still great)!

Dogorilla

How is that beer song beating the Jet Set Radio one?? (Edit: Ok they're actually both on 2 votes now I've voted, but still...)

Edited on by Dogorilla

Funky Kong

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic