Forums

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: Diegetic Themes (Nominations now open!)

Posts 261 to 280 of 295

Captain_Toad

Ugh. I'd rather have red mountain win, not a fan of Scorch n Torch.

At least I have a new appreciation for Red mountain (inside).

I would go for map/level select themes!

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

App

@Captain_Toad I like the menu idea too.

App

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

I'm here for menu or lyrics.

That's a sentence that would be weird to say in any other context.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Bankaj

Supporting the idea for map/level select theme

Bankaj

ThePirateCaptain

Some good ideas here, we have: Water themes, Map/Level select themes, Credit themes, Town/City themes, a specific year range idea, and vocal themes.

@Dogorilla
As far as diegetic music goes, I think it’s a really unique idea. My only concern would be if we could find enough songs to fill a tournament but I’m certainly open to it.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

App

@ThePirateCaptain you should make a poll of all the suggestions and let they users pick

App

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Krull

For diegetic music, would the entire Locoroco soundtrack count? Absolutely love that choral effect when you get a full complement of little dudes. Think yellow theme was my favourite, but they were all great.

More obvious choice would be Pauline singing Jump Up Super Star in Super Mario Odyssey.

Anyway, don’t know if you’ll go with that theme or not, but there are definitely options.

Edited on by Krull

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Dogorilla

@ThePirateCaptain Yeah, it might be a bit more difficult than normal to think of eligible music but, as Krull said, it should be possible to come up with a decent amount. I can think of quite a few good individual tracks, plus you could have any KK Slider song from Animal Crossing, most of the Splatoon soundtrack (it's not technically diegetic when you hear it in game but most of the songs are credited to in-universe bands so I think it counts), and any original tracks created for in-game radios in games like GTA, so there's a lot of options there.

Humanoid female

Bankaj

Good with either of these options - vote went to Diegetic themes. Sounds like fun ánd interesting to learn new music!

Edited on by Bankaj

Bankaj

ThePirateCaptain

Looks like we’re tied between Map/Level Select and Diegetic themes at the moment. If anyone wants to be the deciding vote now is your chance!

ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

The vote is still tied up so I’ll throw mine in for Diegetic themes so we can get going. Map/Level Select themes can be our next tournament since there seems to be a lot of support there as well. With all that said, everyone is free to start nominating songs!

ThePirateCaptain

kkslider5552000

It basically just means music that exists in-universe.

For an obvious Nintendo example, the band and Pauline are literally playing that one song everyone knows in Mario Odyssey and thus would be diegetic but the background music for much of daytime New Donk City isn't.

My question is, do we count ones that are partially in-universe? Like some games will have someone clearly adding an instrument to an already existing bgm, does that make it diegetic?

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Krull

@kkslider5552000 I would say the New Donk City In Odyssey soundtrack is diegetic - maybe I’m misremembering, but don’t you see them playing together as you go along? But Pauline is certainly a better example.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Bankaj

Can start with sharing some obvious examples of Diegetic Music, at least to my understand of the genre =).
I'll keep thinking as it is actually kind of hard to dig your memory on this one.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Kass' Theme performed by 'Kass
Bonus: vid below includes more songs from our favorite feathered troubadour.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Song of Storms performed by 'Phonogram Man'

Pokemon Yellow - Jigglypuff's Sing performed by Jigglypuff

Edited on by Bankaj

Bankaj

TJWorks

This was a tricky one, but here's a few good nominations I could think of. I included a source as to where you hear the music in each nomination.

Marin's Ballad of the Windfish - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Source: Triggers after talking to Marin.

Calamari Inktation - Splatoon
Source: Boss fight.

Main Theme - Banjo Kazooie
Source: Plays during Intro screen.

vs. DJ Subatomic Supernova - No Straight Roads

vs. Noize - River City Girls

Edited on by TJWorks

TJWorks

Dogorilla

kkslider5552000 wrote:

My question is, do we count ones that are partially in-universe? Like some games will have someone clearly adding an instrument to an already existing bgm, does that make it diegetic?

I would say it counts as long as the main melody is diegetic, but it's slightly open to interpretation.

My nominations:
Die Anywhere Else - Night in the Woods

Bubblegum K.K. - Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Want You Gone - Portal 2 (Possibly debatable whether this counts as diegetic but I'll go with it anyway. Although it's slightly spoilery so if anyone hasn't played the game and doesn't want to listen to it I can swap it out for something different.)

Muck Warfare - Splatoon 2

Edited on by Dogorilla

Humanoid female

Blooper987

@Dogorilla yes to the portal 2 song!!! Literally the best thing to ever grace my ears

Blooper987

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

ThePirateCaptain

Since this theme is a little more ambiguous than most I don’t feel particularly strict about what qualifies. I think as long as it has some in-universe tie it’s fine.

ThePirateCaptain

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic