Forums

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: Best City / Urban Theme (Round Two)

Posts 241 to 260 of 1,556

Dogorilla

This is tough because I think the Sonic track is the kind of thing I would appreciate more if I heard it in-game, whereas I find a lot of DKC music, this one included, fades into the background a bit while you're playing the game but is very nice to listen to on its own, so I went for Tropical Freeze.

As the post above said, thanks to ThePirateCaptain for doing these tournaments (and for starring in the best film ever made)

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

ThePirateCaptain

With a final score of 6-3 the winner of the tournament is....
Scorch ‘n’ Torch from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

As always a big thank you to everyone who took part in this, suggestions for the next contest are always welcome.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

porto

@ThePirateCaptain great! I love that track. Idk if this has been done before, but how about a water theme? We’ve already got a “hot” theme. I have a couple suggestions

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

TJWorks

I was about to suggest Title Themes, but found out you already did that as the first tournament. Wasn't here for that one.

Maybe Map/Level Select themes? Or Credit themes? The latter might work best as a final tournament theme though if you ever decide to retire it.

I'd be cool with a Water theme though, as App suggested.

TJWorks

porto

@TJWorks I like that credits idea better tbh. I hope this game doesn't end, I just got here!

porto

Bankaj

How about a timed-theme? Pre-millenium Nintendo-VGM from 1999 or earlier.

Edit: Or town/city theme 😁

Edited on by Bankaj

Bankaj

Dogorilla

I suggested this a while ago but maybe we could do tournament on diegetic music, ie songs performed by in-game characters. Or if that would be too confusing, maybe just any game music with lyrics/vocals.

Funky Kong

Krull

@Dogorilla I like that idea. Should be some good options there.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Captain_Toad

Ugh. I'd rather have red mountain win, not a fan of Scorch n Torch.

At least I have a new appreciation for Red mountain (inside).

I would go for map/level select themes!

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

porto

@Captain_Toad I like the menu idea too.

porto

kkslider5552000

I'm here for menu or lyrics.

That's a sentence that would be weird to say in any other context.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Bankaj

Supporting the idea for map/level select theme

Bankaj

ThePirateCaptain

Some good ideas here, we have: Water themes, Map/Level select themes, Credit themes, Town/City themes, a specific year range idea, and vocal themes.

@Dogorilla
As far as diegetic music goes, I think it’s a really unique idea. My only concern would be if we could find enough songs to fill a tournament but I’m certainly open to it.

ThePirateCaptain

porto

@ThePirateCaptain you should make a poll of all the suggestions and let they users pick

porto

Krull

For diegetic music, would the entire Locoroco soundtrack count? Absolutely love that choral effect when you get a full complement of little dudes. Think yellow theme was my favourite, but they were all great.

More obvious choice would be Pauline singing Jump Up Super Star in Super Mario Odyssey.

Anyway, don’t know if you’ll go with that theme or not, but there are definitely options.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Dogorilla

@ThePirateCaptain Yeah, it might be a bit more difficult than normal to think of eligible music but, as Krull said, it should be possible to come up with a decent amount. I can think of quite a few good individual tracks, plus you could have any KK Slider song from Animal Crossing, most of the Splatoon soundtrack (it's not technically diegetic when you hear it in game but most of the songs are credited to in-universe bands so I think it counts), and any original tracks created for in-game radios in games like GTA, so there's a lot of options there.

Funky Kong

Bankaj

Good with either of these options - vote went to Diegetic themes. Sounds like fun ánd interesting to learn new music!

Bankaj

ThePirateCaptain

Looks like we’re tied between Map/Level Select and Diegetic themes at the moment. If anyone wants to be the deciding vote now is your chance!

ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

The vote is still tied up so I’ll throw mine in for Diegetic themes so we can get going. Map/Level Select themes can be our next tournament since there seems to be a lot of support there as well. With all that said, everyone is free to start nominating songs!

ThePirateCaptain

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic