Forums

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: Diegetic Themes (Round 3)

Posts 241 to 260 of 317

Bankaj

For the life of me can't understand how that Earth Temple song got so far.. Must be sentimental value, as music-wise it can not be thát interesting to defeat so many great compositions.

Bankaj

kkslider5552000

I'll be honest, the Sonic Adventure song is the only one left I particularly care about.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

App

The Kirby's Adventure one sounds too silly to be taken seriously. It's also a popular meme song now, which I normally would award it extra points for, but it, in general, doesn't sound that good. I love that Tropical Freeze one. It's funny how a game about the whole island freezing has one of the best lava themed songs out there.

App

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

App

@Bankaj I love the simple aesthetic used. It works very well IMO. To me, It's better than the sonic track at least.

Edited on by App

App

Krull

Nothing about that Tropical Freeze track sounds like a lava level to me - it’s too chill. Great track, but think I like the Kirby one more. Looks like I’m the only one who thinks that, though!

Don’t love either of the tracks in the other semi - Kirby and DK would beat both.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

TJWorks

@Krull You think it's chill? It plays in a level in the middle of a vast forest fire, California style. It's far from chill.

You could apply that logic to the Sonic Adventure song too. A 90's style hiphop-thug track sounds nothing like a fire level, yet it seems to be the people's favorite here. And that's what I love about video game music- the track's genre and instrumentation doesn't always have to reflect the level theme to be great.

TJWorks

App

@Krull I found it quite exhilarating. Seemed like a perfect fire theme to me.

App

Krull

Don’t get me wrong, I really like the DK track - all DK music seems to be amazing - but think the Kirby one is more fiery! Maybe I would have different associations if I’d actually played the game.

App

The Sonic one may appeal more to fans of that genre, but I've never liked that type of music. I love how DK manages to be a chill, yet exhilarating beat. So, that's where my vote went to obviously

App

Bankaj

A hard choice indeed. They are both impressive in their own way.

Went with DK's song for the more symphonic experience. Thanks again to the Captain for organising!

Bankaj

Dogorilla

This is tough because I think the Sonic track is the kind of thing I would appreciate more if I heard it in-game, whereas I find a lot of DKC music, this one included, fades into the background a bit while you're playing the game but is very nice to listen to on its own, so I went for Tropical Freeze.

As the post above said, thanks to ThePirateCaptain for doing these tournaments (and for starring in the best film ever made)

Dogorilla

ThePirateCaptain

With a final score of 6-3 the winner of the tournament is....
Scorch ‘n’ Torch from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

As always a big thank you to everyone who took part in this, suggestions for the next contest are always welcome.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

App

@ThePirateCaptain great! I love that track. Idk if this has been done before, but how about a water theme? We’ve already got a “hot” theme. I have a couple suggestions

App

TJWorks

I was about to suggest Title Themes, but found out you already did that as the first tournament. Wasn't here for that one.

Maybe Map/Level Select themes? Or Credit themes? The latter might work best as a final tournament theme though if you ever decide to retire it.

I'd be cool with a Water theme though, as App suggested.

TJWorks

App

@TJWorks I like that credits idea better tbh. I hope this game doesn't end, I just got here!

App

Bankaj

How about a timed-theme? Pre-millenium Nintendo-VGM from 1999 or earlier.

Edit: Or town/city theme 😁

Edited on by Bankaj

Bankaj

Dogorilla

I suggested this a while ago but maybe we could do tournament on diegetic music, ie songs performed by in-game characters. Or if that would be too confusing, maybe just any game music with lyrics/vocals.

Dogorilla

Krull

@Dogorilla I like that idea. Should be some good options there.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic