Forums

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: Best City / Urban Theme (Round Two)

Posts 221 to 240 of 1,556

ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Dogorilla

I'm late voting in this one but the first three are now at 50/50. Also I never thought I'd prefer a music track from Crash Bandicoot 2 for the GBA to one from DKC but here we are

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

kkslider5552000

It shouldn't happen because there are better songs, but it would be kinda funny if this ended with the two 3D World songs.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

BabyYoda71

@kkslider5552000 I think they’re the same song....

I accidentally entered the SMM2 one not realizing the original was already there.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

ThePirateCaptain
BabyYoda71

Okay, at least one of the 3D World songs should have made it.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

ThePirateCaptain

Sorry to keep you waiting, the final will be up Wednesday or Tuesday. Entering the semifinal round are Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Kirby’s Return to Dreamland, Sonic Adventure, and Skyward Sword all at 2-1.
Link to the bracket

Semifinal Round

Scorch ‘n’ Torch - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze vs. Dangerous Dinner - Kirby’s Return to Dreamland

Vote here

Red Hot Skull - Sonic Adventure vs. Earth Temple - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Vote here

ThePirateCaptain

Dogorilla

Whoops, forgot to vote in the previous round. That Tropical Freeze track has grown on me a lot.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Bankaj

For the life of me can't understand how that Earth Temple song got so far.. Must be sentimental value, as music-wise it can not be thát interesting to defeat so many great compositions.

Bankaj

porto

The Kirby's Adventure one sounds too silly to be taken seriously. It's also a popular meme song now, which I normally would award it extra points for, but it, in general, doesn't sound that good. I love that Tropical Freeze one. It's funny how a game about the whole island freezing has one of the best lava themed songs out there.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

porto

@Bankaj I love the simple aesthetic used. It works very well IMO. To me, It's better than the sonic track at least.

Edited on by porto

porto

Krull

Nothing about that Tropical Freeze track sounds like a lava level to me - it’s too chill. Great track, but think I like the Kirby one more. Looks like I’m the only one who thinks that, though!

Don’t love either of the tracks in the other semi - Kirby and DK would beat both.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

TJWorks

@Krull You think it's chill? It plays in a level in the middle of a vast forest fire, California style. It's far from chill.

You could apply that logic to the Sonic Adventure song too. A 90's style hiphop-thug track sounds nothing like a fire level, yet it seems to be the people's favorite here. And that's what I love about video game music- the track's genre and instrumentation doesn't always have to reflect the level theme to be great.

TJWorks

porto

@Krull I found it quite exhilarating. Seemed like a perfect fire theme to me.

porto

Krull

Don’t get me wrong, I really like the DK track - all DK music seems to be amazing - but think the Kirby one is more fiery! Maybe I would have different associations if I’d actually played the game.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

porto

The Sonic one may appeal more to fans of that genre, but I've never liked that type of music. I love how DK manages to be a chill, yet exhilarating beat. So, that's where my vote went to obviously

porto

Bankaj

A hard choice indeed. They are both impressive in their own way.

Went with DK's song for the more symphonic experience. Thanks again to the Captain for organising!

Bankaj

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic