Forums

Topic: The NintendoLife VGM Tournament: Best City / Urban Theme (Round Two)

Posts 1,181 to 1,200 of 1,556

StarPoint

Yeah, it would definitely have to be a bit outside the world of Smash Bros. if we want to keep things fresh. I have a couple of ideas for remixes outside of those games, though, so I still think it would work well.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Dogorilla

Well, looking back at the last topic poll (which is linked on page 50), Smash Bros remixes specifically was an option (that I suggested ) and it came joint third in the poll. So I don't think it necessarily matters if it ends up being mostly Smash Bros. I'm not quite sure how we'd define official remixes from outside of that series though.
(Edit: started typing this before Eel posted; I guess their definition makes sense. I still can't think of all that many non-Smash remixes but hopefully seeing other people's nominations will jog my memory.)

(Edit 2: Woah, Eel reposted their point as a separate comment below mine and now this indirect exchange is in a confusing order 🥴 )

Second place in the poll was credits themes and the other third place results were city/urban themes and menu/overworld themes. I think we already did menu themes at some point, but credits or city would be good options too.

Edited on by Dogorilla

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Eel

There's many game franchises that remix songs from previous games for new games. So long as the song is based on a previous song, and is updated beyond "it's a higher quality recording" or given a new context, it counts as a remix in my opinion.

And yes smash bros remixes could also be its own theme if we want to keep it even more separate.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Fizza

I've had an idea for a theme recently: Past vs Future. A collection of songs that either evoke the past or the future with their instrumentation, melodies or settings they're used in. Only problem I could potentially see with it is that it could be dominated by RPG's (I've already got songs from Yokai Watch, Pokemon and Mario & Luigi in mind) but I think it could lead to a lot of deep cuts and songs you wouldn't typically find in tournaments like these!

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Castlevania Bloodlines (Mega Drive)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Anti-Matter

So I wonder how many peoples here playing Rhythm games ?
It seems some peoples here just only knew about Rhythm Heaven but never played dedicated Rhythm games like DDR, Beatmania IIDX, DrumMania, Sound Voltex, etc.
You should try these BEMANI rhythm games.

Anti-Matter

StarPoint

@Anti-Matter I play rhythm games from time to time, but I don't think many other people here are interested in having a strictly rhythm-focused tournament. These events are meant to be enjoyed by different kinds of people and tastes, and usually aren't restricted to one sort of genre or style.

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)

Eel

If there were a rhythm game tournament, you'd see many entries from Final Fantasy Theathrythm, Rhythm Heaven, Persona Dancing, Taiko, Crypt of the Necrodancer (plus the Zelda version of that), etc.

So its not like we’d all just default to the same games as you… mainly because it’s not very common to have any of those games just readily available.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

TeaCatherine

@Eel I wondered how long before someone mentioned the Persona Dancing games.
Also, in general sometimes later games include remixes of earlier songs as a kind of call back, so I do think we could probably have an interesting enough tournament here if we try hard enough, we've just got to get a little bit creative.
Also, would everyone have to listen to original and the remix to make it more fair?

Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid
Back burner: Hollow Knight, Undertale

BabyYoda71

If we do remixes, and we put a limit on the number of Smash nominations (which I think it would be fine if we didn’t, like @Dogorilla said), I think it should be a limit to one or two songs from it per person, not just a first to post their nominations gets to choose the Smash songs. But yeah I can think of a ton of remix songs from other series too.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

TeaCatherine

@BabyYoda71 That seems like a wise choice.

StarPoint

@BabyYoda71 Yes, we definitely need a per person limitation. Depending on how many people participate, I’d say 2 or 3 songs each would be fair.

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)

Fizza

I'd try to get creative with my submissions rather than rely on Smash remixes myself but there are definitely a couple that I feel like I'd have to include if they were allowed (Baten Kaitos anyone?).

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Castlevania Bloodlines (Mega Drive)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

JakedaArbok

I agree with you all, especially on the song limits.
I do however, feel like if everyone’s gotten to pick, I think we should maybe bump the songs up just slightly to maybe get it to 32. About 10-12ish people vote frequently, so we’re only looking at around 25 songs if we limit it to 2 songs a person. Maybe we should put a deadline for people to put their two songs in and put more songs in after the deadline on a first come basis to get it to 32?

“A fool and his money are soon parted.”
Proverbs 11:20
Switch Friend Code: SW-6009-5662-0517

BabyYoda71

@JakedaArbok I meant two songs from Smash, not just two songs. You would still be able to nominate any other series

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

JakedaArbok

Oh, okay. Makes sense.

“A fool and his money are soon parted.”
Proverbs 11:20
Switch Friend Code: SW-6009-5662-0517

TeaCatherine

So, are we doing the remixes theme? When does it get decided?

ThePirateCaptain

Here is a poll where you can vote on the next theme. You can select your top two choices btw. I’ll check in tomorrow afternoon to see what the results are and we can get started from there.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Scooby-Doo

That place hasn't been letting me vote for a while now, I don't know why.

Truly I am mankind's natural foe! Evil Incarnate! A walking cataclysm! A shapeless insanity! GUNDHAM TANAKA!
Kelpies. Be they hound or horse? I'd rather smell wet dog than be drowned by a horse.
Currently Playing on Switch: Chaos Head Noah, PARANORMASIGHT, Mega Man Series.

TeaCatherine

@ThePirateCaptain Hey, is there any way to get around the one vote per IP address rule? The user above is my sister and thus on the same WIFI network so she can't vote if I vote first and vice versa.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic