Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 68,261 to 68,280 of 96,507

EllaTheQueen6

My onigiri tasted horrible. It tasted like the smell of fish, if that makes any sense.

Y'all, let's go play Legally Distinct Pocket Creatures!
Vice president/second divine goddess of the Chit-Chat thread

3DS Friend Code: 2252-0354-0887

Sunsy

@MarioLover92 Sure was fun. Yeah, the Super NES was my first console. I remember getting it for Christmas, and wow, now that I think about it, Super Mario Kart is as much of a Christmas game for me as Sonic 1, Sonic 3D Blast and Super Mario All-Stars. It's cool your dad already had one too.

The Wii U had such a big update when I got it. In my old place, we only had 3Mbps DSL... it took 2-3 hours to download before I could even play it. Thankfully the Internet is a lot faster where I live now, so that's no longer an issue. Not sure about if the old town I lived in got faster Internet. Funnily enough, the older system helps pass the time. I remember the 3DS outages affected the Wii too, lol. Yeah, it's fine as I know the game I'm getting anyway, had to help mom pick it out. Her eyesight isn't great, and multi-platform games look the same boxart wise. Right now, the update and included DLC is downloaded, and the wait begins.

@Dogorilla Same person actually did Toad singing All I Want For Christmas Is You, lol.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Fizza

@Eel This was the only message I saw when I originally clicked into this thread and I genuinely thought we were talking about Pokemon for a second. Tatsugiri basked in Smoliv oil anyone?

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

TeaCatherine

@EllaTheKawaiiNeko On the subject of your onigiri it's awful when for whatever reason things don't live up to your expectations.

Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid
Back burner: Hollow Knight, Undertale

EllaTheQueen6

@Eel I didn't use vinegar, nor did I add fillings. The recipe I followed only called for furikake, rice, and nori. My entire kitchen still smells like the ocean. I've decided that nest time I use this recipe, I'm gonna replace Furikake with umeboshi goma shio. I chose a recipe that didn't have filling specifically cause I can't stand fish. I heard that you can fill Onigiri with spicy tuna, i might try that next time, as tuna is the only fish I will eat. My hands also smelled like fish for a few hours cause I had to shape the Onigiri with my hands. And the Onigiri was really small cause I'm asmall person and my hands weren't a very good size for Onigiri, so instead of making 12 Onigiri, I made 16 cause my hands were way too small for the traditional size.

TeaCatherine

Fizza wrote:

@Eel This was the only message I saw when I originally clicked into this thread and I genuinely thought we were talking about Pokemon for a second. Tatsugiri basked in Smoliv oil anyone?

@Fizza The Pokémon world may seem innocent but how do they get their food, huh?
Also, hope you recover soon.

EllaTheQueen6

@TeaCatherine I thought Onigiri was gonna be a godsend, but god must be a fish, cause my Onigiri tasted like the smell of fish. Didn't even have any fish in it. I think the smell came from the seaweed, but I'm not sure.

Sunsy

@EllaTheKawaiiNeko As someone who made onigiri before, I usually just do salted rice with no filling and nori personally, sometimes a piece of imitation crab in the middle too. One tip I can give is, I usually use saran wrap to shape it. Lay the saran wrap over a mug (to make catching the rice easier), put some rice and filling in, and shape it with the saran wrap. Unwrap and then place the nori.

This is what I do, so providing it as a tip if you want to try it.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

EllaTheQueen6

@TeaCatherine Furikake is a Japanese spice that contains shredded seaweed and some other things.
@Sunsy I can't stand salt. Though, I'm gonna try something else the next time I make it, as my mom made me get two things of Nori packs of 10 sheets. I told her 1 pack would be more than enough, but because the packagaes are really thin cause Nori is thin, we goot two anyways. So the leftover nori from the first package I cut down into future Onigiri handles and put them in a plastic baggy, and the second bag is in its original packaging. And now I'm eating a burrito and some coffee, cause I'm a weirdo. By the way, am I the only person who's been drinking coffee since I was 10?

Scooby-Doo

@EllaTheKawaiiNeko No, you are not the only one to have been drinking coffee since you were 10. But tea is better.

Truly I am mankind's natural foe! Evil Incarnate! A walking cataclysm! A shapeless insanity! GUNDHAM TANAKA!
Kelpies. Be they hound or horse? I'd rather smell wet dog than be drowned by a horse.
Currently Playing on Switch: Chaos Head Noah, PARANORMASIGHT, Mega Man Series.

EllaTheQueen6

@Scooby-Doo Tea is pretty good. But I prefer coffee. I can even drink black coffee.

TeaCatherine

@EllaTheKawaiiNeko Nah, most of my siblings started drinking coffee at about that age too. By the way Scooby-Doo would not be happy to hear about that burrito, she has bad memories to do with burritos.

Eel

@EllaTheKawaiiNeko ah that’s it then the furikake is too strong. On top of that, the nori is also pretty fishy.

A basic onigiri only really requires rice. The vinegar is used to make it less sticky, and the nori is just to give you a handle, so yes both are optional. Do experiment.

As for fillings, as far as I know onigiri can be filled with anything you want. From what I hear it’s often used as a way to finish leftovers.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Sunsy

@EllaTheKawaiiNeko That's fine, you cook to your preference. It takes trial and error a lot of the times, I remember the first time I made onigiri, I made too much of it, lol. Having some as leftover, it just crumbles apart. Now, I usually make enough for me, since I'm the only one who eats them (ngl, I enjoy learning to cook Japanese food). I always have leftover nori when I make them so, I usually keep them in the pack, in a big ziplock bag to store them.

Scooby-Doo

@EllaTheKawaiiNeko I mean, I do prefer coffee to normal tea, but Earl Grey tea is the best hot drink.

Truly I am mankind's natural foe! Evil Incarnate! A walking cataclysm! A shapeless insanity! GUNDHAM TANAKA!
Kelpies. Be they hound or horse? I'd rather smell wet dog than be drowned by a horse.
Currently Playing on Switch: Chaos Head Noah, PARANORMASIGHT, Mega Man Series.

TeaCatherine

@Scooby-Doo Hey, how are things at home? Remember, tomorrow get our annoying bother to get MGRR.

EllaTheQueen6

@Sunsy Yeah, I cut my leftover Nori into Onigiri sized pieces (They originally came in sheets and I had to manually cut them into little handles) I made Onigiri for my mom, my brother, me, and my neighbor.
@Eel I'm definitelly gonna still use Nori, I won't add vinegar as I want the rice to be sticky. Next time, I'm gonna come up with my own recipe. Maybe I'll use lemon zest or something, that sounds like it could be good. But I gotta get more rice first. And by rice, I mean the microwavable stuff cause I'm a little baby who can't cook rice properly.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic