Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 43,901 to 43,920 of 96,570

ThanosReXXX

@BabyYoshi12 Nah, man. It's a free world, so you're allowed to put anything you want there, as long as it is within the confines of the site rules. I'm just a person who always speaks his mind, so I simply had to give my two cents on it either way. I'll get used to it, eventually...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Heavyarms55

Okay! So, in the end, the process of redownloading all my games, DLC, and updates for my physical releases onto my new 952GB SD card took about 29 hours. And it got me thinking - Yes, the majority of my games being physical releases saves a LOT of space on my system. But the majority of them still needed me to go back and redownload updates - and in some cases even chunks of the game (Doom 2016, I'm glaring at you!). And it really makes me question my stance on the whole digital vs. physical debate. Because I feel like - at this point - it's already been decided for us. It's not like on older systems where the entire base game - minus the DLC - would be on a cartridge or a disc. If, in the future, someone buys a Switch and the servers are down - that Doom cartridge will be nearly useless. As will most games that have sizable updates.

I'm glad that they can patch and fix things, and I like additional content. But at the same time, I feel like the only reason to buy physical at this point is simply to save space on our system. Things have really changed.

@ThanosReXXX Those pictures are fantastic - God bless whomever did it.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX admit it. You just wanted to stealth mention pineapple and see if anyone noticed.

Add for duplicate sectors, yeah that was true for optical formats, but for digital formats it's a silly argument that makes no sense. For optical the radius from spindle to rim is fixed and thus that method allowed controlled tracking. For installed formats it makes no sense. Hdd installs don't have fixed head tracking or even standard platter/head counts it diameteters. And they track far faster than optical.

Honestly i think they're making that part up. Not needing low res assets is the big space saver, supposedly. But how much that matters seems sketchy. Bigger games, smaller drives, quadruple cost. Heck Jax is trying to pull be back to PC. He's half succeeding though i need to see the console numbers before making any real decisions.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Heavyarms55 Yeah, they're pretty inventive. Seeing as you liked them, there's more where that come from:
Untitled
Untitled

Concerning re-downloading all your Switch games: I'm kinda sad/sorry that I was absent for a while, because had I read about you going to/wanting to do that, then I would have given you a FAR easier and faster solution, because you don't HAVE to download everything again: you can simply eject the SD card from your Switch, put it in a card reader, copy or move all the data on there to a PC, laptop or tablet, and then copy that back onto your new SD card. It would have saved you about 27 hours...

The reason why this is possible and so relatively simple to do, is because the Switch is basically a smart device/Android device, so it's kinda like connecting your smart phone to your PC and reading its directories.
(edit: or in this specific case, it's the reason why the card is readable on a PC, laptop or tablet)

This video explains all the necessary steps in detail:

Better keep that in mind for the next time that you'll need to migrate your games...

On a side note: if you have enough space on your PC/laptop/tablet, or any other storage medium, you might want to keep a copy of the data regardless of it now already being moved to the new card.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Let's wait and see first, before we start panicking about stuff that we aren't really sure about, alright?

For now, we're all assuming that additional storage for the Xbox Series X is going to be expensive, but if you look at the medium itself, in its normal form, then it's actually not expensive at all, so unless the Xbox version of it is highly proprietary, it might not be all that different in price.

As for the data duplication bit: I'm no expert on the matter, but I've seen more than one reputable source and/or site write about it and explain this when they were talking about the benefits of the storage media in the newer consoles, and the differences between that and the older media, so I tend to believe it, at least for the most part, if multiple sources basically mention the same thing.

And from what you just mentioned about digital/installed versions of games, another thing comes to mind: why aren't installed games smaller than disc-based, then? More often than not, they're even bigger, although while I'm typing this, I'm considering I've potentially already found the answer, because sometimes, disc-based games contain a decent amount of compressed data, so that could be what makes the difference in total data size between physical and digital.

BabyYoda71

Ah, so we’re talking about PS5 memes. Even though I’m not buying it or the XBox, here’s my contribution:

Untitled
Untitled

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

BabyYoda71

On the topic of video game memes, here’s some Animal Crossing gibberish:
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

Tyranexx

Ha-HAH! Let the memes commence! I might get a PS5 eventually, but definitely not day one. I never buy a console day one as I think it's best for some of the kinks to be worked out first.

In other news, I did end up heading to the eye doctor today. My eyes were doing better today, but I did keep my appointment. As I suspected, my issues are allergy-related, so I'm now on some OTC eyedrops they recommended. I had hoped noknfer wearing contacts would help stave off allergic reactions in my eyes, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I wonder what it's like to live in a place with low amounts of pollen and dust.

@ThanosReXXX Heh, slow and steady torture. A quick death is too merciful. I like your style.

Glad that you seem to be feeling better. Migraines definitely aren't a joke. I've felt the light sensitivity and nausea from them more than once; instead of the full ache of your typical headache, it feels like an ice pick being repatedly slammed into your skull. Typically my headaches are few these days and don't normally get that bad. Unlike when I was a teenager.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX i think "proprietary Seagate" implies elevated costs, as does xbox 360 history. However the x1 official Seagate drives ended up relatively modestly slightly overpriced.

But ssd in general is relatively expensive in any form still. There's some conflating of ps5 here, though, as supposedly they're mandating their nvme4 that doesn't even exist in the market yet, or some such, according to octane. Not proprietary, but bleeding edge new tech only. X will allow plain old drives for bulk storage at least. Unknown about ps5.

Install size... It's often compressed data, yes. It's also that the dl includes subsequent patch, addon, etc data. And they often just append the new data into the archive. Steam remains the best comparison though. No need for redundant disc data. BUT there's need of low res assets there.

@BabyYoshi12 mini fridge has to always win though. It's like rock paper scissors.... Mini fridge wins every round.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
I like the design of PS5 with White and Black color together so it was like inverted color of Oreo biscuit.

Anti-Matter

Heavyarms55

@ThanosReXXX Oh I know full well that you can do that with a PC.

But that requires you have a PC with a functional SD card reader and suffecient available storage. My 8 year old PC has neither. lol

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

ogo79

bah, horse dung
anyways...
its dangerous to go alone!
take this.
Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

ogo79

@NintendoByNature
even though its made by sega, if you use the power glove you can finish the game faster...

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

NintendoByNature

@ogo79 I've heard that. Cheat CC had a code for elongating the game too, if needed.

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Yeah, I'm definitely glad I'm through it again, because it wasn't exactly a fun roller coaster ride...
I did forget one symptom in my list yesterday, though: when the pain starts to build up, I also often feel as if some force is trying to push one of my eyeballs out of my skull, depending on which side the headache occurs. But the weird thing is, it's only a sensation, or the brain being fooled into thinking that, because if I look in the mirror, both my eyes look exactly the same, so there's no "pushing out" going on at all.

Oh, well. At least I've now already had two days of a good night's sleep, instead of tossing and turning and waking up at the most inappropriate of times...

@NEStalgia I know about the prices of those X1 drives, because I own the 4TB one. And it wasn't that expensive. But Series X is going to use NVMe SSD, and that isn't really much more expensive. In fact, NVMe modules for PC have already dropped in price over the last couple of years, so custom SSD expansion or not, I'm honestly not expecting them to be astronomically priced, also because Spencer has to tick a LOT of boxes, in order to really get everything right this time. Alienating or angering loyal customers by forcing them to buy ridiculously expensive storage units isn't really going to fit that bill...

@Heavyarms55 Ah, okay. That's too bad, though. How many GB's did you have to download, then? Was it a 64GB card, that you originally had in the Switch? I always have at least a couple of hundred GB's free, either internally or on some external hard drive, so I can move/swap data whenever needed. And card readers cost next to nothing these days, so something to keep in mind for next time, surely.

I know I'd definitely not be happy, if I had to spend more than a full day re-downloading stuff again...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic