Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 40,301 to 40,320 of 96,562

Eel

ThanosReXXX wrote:

@Tyranexx The "monkey with yellow hair avatar" was this one:
Untitled
Don't know if you even caught that one, because I only used it very shortly...
(edit: and of course, at this current size, it's clearly visible what or who it is, whereas reducing it to an avatar thumbnail kind of takes away a large part of the details)

Yeah, in avatar size you couldn’t really see any of the shadowy details besides the glowing eye. Giving it the appearance that it’s the profile of a very deformed gorilla.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Anti-Matter

I think i will try this Sonic game on PS3 instead.
Untitled

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I'll do that if you change yours to Thomas the Tank Engine...

@Eel the fact that they also center the picture and cut stuff off isn't really helping either, and making it even smaller to fit within those margins would make it even more indistinguishable.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX Fair point. Turns out I did miss out on that one; I thought we were referring to the previous avvie that you had had for some time and that THAT had initiated the change. XD

@Eel Is your avatar picture actually an eel? I'd jokingly name what it looks like, but in case it's a personal art piece, I don't wanna cross a line.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Eel

It’s huntail, a pokémon.

I did draw it with my finger on an iPad screen, so it’s probably not a particularly good interpretation of it.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx That would be this one:
Untitled
How in the heck does that one look like a monkey with yellow hair?

EDIT:
Although as with the other avatars, it's harder to see on the smaller version which, thanks to NLife's weird caching/image updating protocols, is still visible on the front page in the forum topics tab:
Untitled

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Tyranexx

@Eel Ah, I can see the resemblance to Huntail now...for the most part.

@ThanosReXXX I think that also had to do with how the site compresses avatars. And yep, it takes a bit for that feed to update the avatar images. Gotta love technology!

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

bimmy-lee

Joy Con and pro controllers are on sale on Amazon. They were throughout the weekend, I assume it’s for MAR10. Only the launch colors and the pink/green combo are on sale. I ordered pink/green. I’ve wanted them for a while, though the orange/purple were really growing on me. I’ll probably send my original blue in for official drift repair soon.

@NintendoByNature - I think younger siblings in the 80s and early 90s are just accustomed to being player two/Luigi, waiting their turn to play, and starting on the right side of the screen. I was the older brother, and I absolutely dominated player one. I would have felt ill if I had to play SMB as Luigi. LM3 is the first time in my life that I’ve liked him.

@Tyranexx - Haha, I bet that map from the 60s was sadly accurate until 06 when we switched to the whole state observing EST and savings time. If I remember right, we started in Spring, and the people observing central time on the western side of the state had to roll back two hours. That had to be a bit jarring.

@ThanosReXXX - That’s an amazing story, and as good or better than anything I have from that time in my life. I think buying the first two rounds was a great move. Small gestures go a long way when you’re cooped up with a small group like that. Heck of a first impression. If you’re paid meagerly and eat out of pocket, then at least the beer was cheap. I imagine you got to know the bars on base really well. It doesn’t seem like there would be much else to do with your limited free time other than, read, write, sleep, and socialize with the same people over beers.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee That was the days before inernet and social media where all you need is your phone and Twatter and hundreds of hours can vanish in an OH LOOK I'VE BEEN RETWEETED I've got 2 go chec

NEStalgia

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee wow, see I loved playing as Luigi and always requested it. But no matter what I was used to being p2 since i had an older brother who called the shots. Streets of Rage was usually me being max since he got first choice on axel. I ended up loving Max though thru repetition so it worked out.

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Yeah, there's probably that as well. And the weird squishing avatars into circles, which also makes them look rather odd, to say the least.

@bimmy-lee Well, there was a sports hall, and an activity mess, where they had darts, a pool table, some pinball machines, playing cards and board games like chess, checkers and scrabble. But otherwise, we'd just hang around in our room. Or, in the weekends that we had to stay on base, we could go into town in the evening, to eat and have a drink, long as we were back before 10 or whenever our shift started. And back then, I still had my MSX home computer, which I'd sometimes bring along, because we had a big CRT TV in our room, so we'd play games. The MSX had a lot of cool games, and many of them were made by Konami.

As for the beer story: that was just the first day of a total of 16 months. Man, you have no idea...
Here's a real service time story: one time, when we went into town for food and drinks, and on the way back, we walked through a street full of shops, one of which, a shoe store, still had it's flag hung out, even though the store was already closed. One of my room mates decided that it would be funny to nab the flag and do something with it.

That "something" turned out to be replacing the Dutch flag on the flag pole in the main square, where all presentations and other official ceremonies were held. Well, I think you can imagine the face of our sergeant the next day, when that shoe store flag was flapping in the wind, instead of the official flag...

Suffice to say we ultimately confessed, otherwise more people would be punished, and we spent the rest of the day cleaning toilets and bath rooms...

SuperPeach

Hey, I used to be active on this site years ago and was wondering, does the Nintendolife Chat still exist? Just curious. This place has changed so much lol.

SuperPeach

NEStalgia

A chat room on a video game eZine? This is the first I've heard of this! That's pure insanity. Whatever Ant was smoking back then, I hope he got the help he needed.....

NEStalgia

Heavyarms55

@NotTelevision Well it's only forced staycation for the kids. They still have the staff come in. So we've just been doing random tidbits of work here and there like cleaning and painting to burn time. Frankly, it's 1st world problems in the extreme, but I kinda hate it. If they'd said "You can take a pay cut and stay home" I'd probably have said yes. At least then I'd be able to use the time on things I care about. The majority of the time we're just reading or playing with our phones...

@SuperPeach There is a Discord now. I don't go there often but it exists.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

ogo79

NintendoByNature wrote:

@ogo79 can't tell if thats supposed to be ham, bacon, or a scab😜

i eat all 3. it doesnt matter to me. im not a picky eater. or spoiled. im 40

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

bimmy-lee

@Ogo79 - I love hot ham scab and bacon sandwiches. Bring em on. I’ll eat all day. You get the sandwiches, I’ll get the Kool Aid.

@NEStalgia - What was the retweet about, are you beefing with someone bro? I know it wasn’t because you were tweet bombing Nintendo about the Direct again because you definitely got blocked by them last time. Unless... you’re doing it from a sock account. Smart.

@NintendoByNature - It’s a thing. Older siblings are Mario, younger siblings are Luigi. It’s the natural order. I think the Mario Bros are twins, but Mario must have come out first. Max is great, I love all his wrestling moves. He feels kind of slow late game when things really pick up, but he and Axel are the perfect pair. Can’t go wrong with any of them though. I enjoy a nice run through with Skate and Blaze too. My brother loved Skate, so I could be any of the other three.

@ThanosReXXX - Ha, that’s a classic prank you rowdy young fellas pulled off. The mandatory service sounds tough, but also fun. It seems like a 16 month service could actually be a good thing for a lot of young people, especially if they’re not sure about the next chapter of life. It’s like a break from real life where you get in shape, knock the ole self importance peg down a few notches closer to grounded, make a couple friends the hard way, and get some time to generally grow up a bit and think about what you want to do with your life. I bet you were a hero bringing the old MSX back and adding a much needed option to the free time list.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Tyranexx

@bimmy-lee I certainly wouldn't blame some people for complaining, even after so many years. XD I don't mind going backwards in the time zones, but going forward is rough. I'm already having a hard enough time with DST; two hours forward must've been torture. Us non-morning people are absolutely wrecked the first week or two.

If a current bill makes it through the House here, IL may not have to worry about switching times.

@ThanosReXXX I don't know how many avatar choices I've had to redo because of those circles. Not a ton, but enough to remember that it's irritating.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic