Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 39,921 to 39,940 of 96,298

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx Thing is, my mother has literally worked jobs that rely on computers since before I was born. Not programming, but jobs that use a computer daily for the majority of the work. She's used everything from DOS to Windows 10 and has almost certainly, more hours overall using computers than even I do. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect her to understand, "click Steam, type in your password, click stardew valley, open the game" And she says the game wont open. I can't think of any reason why that is.

Which is why I'm guessing it's more a white lie - that she doesn't want to say she doesn't actually want to play the game. I know she'd like it, because she LOVED Farmville 2. But for whatever reason, she doesn't want to try it.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

bimmy-lee

@Tyranexx - You and NBN have the added bonus of a decent chunk of humanity referring to your home state as “Ill-in-noise”. It’s like a cheese grater on my brain when I hear it.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NEStalgia

@Tyranexx if your shower curtain is a world map, I can only guess your kitchen is decorated in multiplication tables, and your bedroom is Disney's Frozen.

@bimmy-lee ill noise would be a great description for Chicago though. The down side if illinois, is that it contains Chicago.

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

@Heavyarms55 Sounds like my own mom; she's been dealing with computers both at work and at home since the mid-90s. She's tech-savvy in some ways, but in others....eh.

It could be worse though; she could be my dad. The guy is scared to touch anything more complicated than a TV remote. We used to have to browse the internet for him. He finally got his first smart phone a few months ago. My brother made it as simple for him as possible by hiding or deleting all the apps he wouldn't need and putting the rest on the home screen.

@bimmy-lee Cheese grater is an understatement; nails on chalkboard is more like it. Granted, pronunciations in the same language can vary (caramel for example), but there's only one correct way to pronounce Illinois.

I suppose this is the same for most states with large cities, but people often make the mistake of assuming that I'm from near the Chicago area. I've only been up there three times, four if you count a brief layover at Midway on the way back to Indy on a school trip.

@NEStalgia No to the kitchen, but my bedroom does have a blue theme. It has nothing to do with Frozen; it's just my favorite color.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx My father managed to be both tech-savvy and out of date at the same time. The tech he would learn, he would master. But then he'd cling to it well past its use-by date. I remember when he moved to a new house and when the company came to set up the internet, my father asked where he could connect his laptop - the worker laughed because he thought my father was joking - asking about a laptop as old as that was. Which is what convinced my dad to finally upgrade. He was still using AOL dial-up as late as 2009. But gosh darn it all, he knew how everything worked!

Tyranexx

@NEStalgia Funnily enough, I DO need a new set of sheets and a comforter....

@Heavyarms55 Oh, geez. I remember dial-up. Sooo slllllloooowww. It was a happy day when my parents finally got broadband internet. The only problem is it hasn't really improved much since...though they're lucky they could get it at all. A cousin of mine lives a little outside the service area and has to use wireless internet.

The problem with my dad is that he doesn't even try very hard. He's fairly decent with some forms of machinery and equipment, so I don't know what his issue is. I think he's afraid he'll make a laptop self-destruct by breathing on it.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

HobbitGamer

I gots me a feeva. Seems like the allergy onset turned into the congestion and chest crud. Gonna hit up my doc tomorrow, get me one of them sick notes.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - Well, Chicago is probably my favorite big city in the US. Part of that is probably proximity, I’m only a few hours away; nearly equidistant from my own state’s version of a big city, Indianapolis, but I like Chicago much more. It definitely has just about every negative that comes with a big city, but it has a lot of positives as well, and the natives are a mostly friendly bunch.

@Tyranexx - Yeah, everyone knows you give it the proper French Canadian flair and pronounce it “Ill-in-nwa”.

Blue can be a tough color to paint and match, but I love it as well. I have two blue paints in my place, a robin’s egg (my newest color, and I love it, but only have it in one room at the moment), and one closer to a primary blue, but a few shades lighter and brighter. The darker one is the base coat for the accent wall in my daughter’s room, it’s an egg shell finish, and then I put pink, orange, and red polka dots over that in semi gloss. The red dots look like they’re moving on the blue background. It’s pretty fun.

@HobbitGamer - Hope you feel better, don’t get yourself locked up in no quarantine.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx No joke, I used to sign in to AOL, grab my Game Boy and go take a crap, and come back, and maybe, it would be finished getting online. Sometimes.

Some people just don't like some things. Maybe your dad is just like that with digital tech.

Eel

Just watched the new 3D Mewtwo movie. That was a nice almost 1:1 remake of the original, once you get used to the weird faces on the humans.

It was nice to see some some of the new moves and music from the newer games being included. Though it was minimal.

Kinda sad that Team Rocket skipped the viking costumes though. At least now they know the difference between Alakazam and Scyther I guess.

I wish they had included the vacations short. I miss that one.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Heavyarms55

@Eel That just makes me all the more question why they even made this remake. It's missing some of the original scenes, adds little and I really don't like the art style... From your description, I probably wouldn't have a bad time watching it, but it would just make me want to watch the original instead.

And I really loved the vacation short as a kid. It was one of the first times we saw a new Pokemon after Togepi. We got to see Donphan, which has been one of my favorite Pokemon every since.

Eel

I'd have to watch the original again, but from what I could tell it was exactly the same movie on a new art style. Can't really say I noticed anything major missing or being added.

It doesn't have the young Mewtwo scenes, but neither did the original when I watched it as a kid, so idk if those count.

And yes the vacation short is great. Too bad it's kinda hard to find nowadays (I don't think it's on any streaming services besides user uploads on YouTube).

@Anti-Matter Netflix

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Heavyarms55

@Eel I had the movie on VHS as a kid and it had the vacation short and the young Mewtwo scenes. The tape is probably still in storage somewhere. Whether it has survived all these years in storage is...

Probably unlikely. XD

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee Any american big city could be massively improved simply by becoming a radioactive crater. Admittedly however, for most of them that wouldn't actually create much noticable difference beyond the inherent reduction in altitude.

@Tyranexx #TeamElsa?

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Heavyarms55 you may or may not have to explain what a VHS is. Kids...

The cool kids had super 8.

NEStalgia

Eel

My parents had a betamax player when I was a little kid.

No I don't remember ever using it.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Heavyarms55

@NEStalgia I had a ton of stuff on VHS back in the day. But VHS tapes really didn't hold up that well. I'm honestly surprised in hindsight, that rental stores were a viable business. It really seemed to me that after a dozen or so viewings, the video started degrading noticeably.

I was that kid who would watch the same few tapes over and over. So I did rack up the view counts. I must have watched the same episode of Gundam Wing at least 40 times! And Pokemon a dozen or more...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic