Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 39,721 to 39,740 of 96,530

Anti-Matter

@bimmy-lee
Boxing is dead in my country Indonesia since 10 years ago.
Used to be there are a few Boxing gym at my hometown Surabaya and there was a local Live Boxing channel every Friday night featuring local boxers. Now the show has been discontinued long time ago, the Boxing gyms has been changed into other buildings, not even any Indonesian peoples have interest with Boxing. Peoples now consider boxing as a part of cardio workout, not as a professional sport.

I really wish i can live at the country where Boxing or Kickboxing considered as popular enough sports. I have never have a chance to watch the bout inside the stadium, but if i have chance to watch it, i will watch K-1 Grand Prix at Japan. I want the autograph from my favorite K-1 fighters. Just like i created my own Avian Kickboxing. In my fictional world, Avian Kickboxing is a really popular sport due to interesting combat system looking (boxing in the air like Dragon Ball), the insurance that will guarantee your safety and the money you can get from being an Avian Kickboxer.

Anti-Matter

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Yep, that's about all you can do. If at all possible, dig out and head out early! And beware of the crazies who shouldn't be driving in slick conditions. Or if it's all too deep, just hole up at home and catch cabin fever.... XD

@Heavyarms55 I feel as though I'm better at handling misunderstandings these days, partially through experience and partially through learning about mental tools on how to not fret about such things. Misunderstandings are a given. I'd mentally beat myself up (and occasionally still do at times) for something that might have come out awkward or was misunderstood; I'd keep dwelling on it. The situation would replay over and over again, and I'd try to understand if there was a cue I missed or if I could have done something differently. On my level it's a confidence thing to an extent, but I also used to be really bad about eye contact too. Thankfully I'm also blessed with pretty decent coworkers for the most part; we're quarantined from most of the main company, so we avoid a lot of the toxic drama.

Heavyarms55 wrote:

As a kid I was much the same way, I always wanted to bury myself in fiction because of the bullying. Now I still do, but to ignore different things. If I don't focus on work or fiction, I read the news, all the things that I can't do anything about, but make me very angry.

I'm pretty much the same way. Gaming is my main form of screen entertainment; other than YouTube clips, I don't watch much of anything or even have any sort of streaming service outside of Spotify these days, though I'd like to pick up Netflix and get a better Hulu sub eventually; I have free ad-ridden Hulu through my Spotify sub, but I don't really use it. I get most of my news online, but likewise a lot of it eventually irritates me, and I've learned to stay out of comment sections for anything even loosely related to politics out of fear of self-concussing myself from repeated facepalming.

On my cousin: I hope to get to his book soon, if anything to at least try to grasp a vague understanding of the hell he went through. No words on a page can come close to what he dealt with. I do know already that he's had to help bury more than one friend and that he's experienced some pretty dangerous situations; he couldn't even tell my aunt and uncle where he had been deployed most of the time. I'm so glad he finally got out of the military, but he had a heck of a time adjusting to civilian life again. His PTSD and alcoholism nearly broke him. He's now on the mend and healing in every way possible but will always carry some scars with him. He has salvaged his life and marriage in part thanks to some family intervention, his awesome wife, young daughter, and ultimately his own will. They're currently expecting kid #2; I think she's due next month.

Yep, I'm likewise not sure why some shows end up in digital storage and don't even show up on another platform at least. Granted, I'm not privy to how some of that process works. As capitalism is fueled by making money, you'd think they'd at least be trying to make money off of reruns and general show availability. I just hope they aren't planning some sort of reboot. Not that they're always bad, but in some cases I wish Hollywood and other firms would leave some of the original material alone. I've already seen what happens when you try translating Avatar: The Last Airbender into a poor live-action movie...

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx Gaming is my main hobby too. I also watch YouTube and some Twitch stuff. Basically zero regular TV but I'm big on anime 99% of which I watch on Crunchyroll. I also read quite a bit too. But I always come back to gaming for my main hobby and escape.

From the sound of it, your cousin is doing much better, glad to hear that much!

Oh boy, live action adaptations... Well, you've probably seen at least 1 or 2 of my... minor rants... about how much I dislike those. And I know I've talked about my dislike of the new canon for Star Wars on here too. But... I'm not against reboots in general - if and big if - they're done well. Hollywood is too cowardly these days, they don't want to try their hands with interesting new ideas. And to some extent, I kind of understand. So much money goes into movies these days that taking a chance with something new is much harder to justify. But only to some extent. You can only reboot Spiderman so many times before people start to get annoyed. And I have my own personal wish that Hollywood would be more open to animated film again. And not just Disney/Pixar style CG animated films, but things more like the DC animated films, Legend or Korra or anime-like styles.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Anti-Matter

@Heavyarms55
I have interest with some Live Action adaptation Disney movies. But it also depend on who is the director.
The good adaptation are such Aladdin 2019, Cinderella 2015, Beauty & the Beast 2017.
Lion King 2019 was not as good as the animated version due to deliver almost exactly same performances as the cartoon version but with lesser quality of Timon Pumba jokes.
I do really hope Mulan 2020 delivers something more make a sense but still capturing the charm from the cartoon version even without Mushu. Mulan 2020 will gonna have more tension and fights than one hit lucky battle from cartoon version.

Anti-Matter

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter As far as I am concerned the only good live action versions of previously animated or drawn content have been the Marvel movies and a handful of DC movies. And that's most because they haven't been adaptations at all, but original stories for existing characters or adaptations in only the most broad and general sense. More re-imagining than adaptation. There hasn't been a single direct animation to live action adaptation that I have liked. Not one.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - I’m still working on both. I got a chapter done in Unravel last weekend, and I’m progressing along in GS. I still haven’t mastered putting, and I’m trying to chip everything in, even using the sand traps strategically to have a chance to avoid putting. I’m a slowpoke gamer though. It takes me a while to finish something. I’m also getting beat the heck up by incurable drift right now. The canned air maneuver no longer has any effect. I need to get something figured out soon because it’s madness in a game like GS. What are you playing?

@Tyranexx - Well, luckily I haven’t actually had to fight any future punks, and the neighborhood is pretty steady. I can relate on all the different types of difficult people. I’ve had a bunch of different jobs through the years, but the one thing they all had in common was the occasional person who was a pain in the backside. It’s possible I daydreamed of giving a couple of those people a Grand Upper.

@Anti-Matter - That’s too bad about boxing in Indonesia, but at least you have kickboxing. I hope you get to see a K1 tournament in Japan. That would be really fun. I don’t watch UFC, but I’m a long time boxing fan. I’ve never been to a live card, but I ordered lots of pay per views before the price got too ridiculous. Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. were my guys. I went to a friend’s house for all the Tyson fights when I was a kid. I also love all the fights between Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, and Durán.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Eel

Cousin: [sends camera photo of important email]
Me: Thanks, could you please forward it to (email account) so I can read it better?
Cousin: ok

Later, via email: [the same photograph of the email message]

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

WoomyNNYes

Eel wrote:

Cousin: [sends camera photo of important email]
Me: Thanks, could you please forward it to (email account) so I can read it better?
Cousin: ok

Later, via email: [the same photograph of the email message]

Yeah! Take THAT @Eel!!
( )
Is it ok, I think that's funny? I needed the distraction. Thanks for sharing, Eel

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee i get it. It's a game you can enjoy slowly. Very relaxing. I'm playing thru devil may cry 3 atm. Which is the exact opposite 😋

NintendoByNature

NEStalgia

@Heavyarms55 At the risk of being snarky (but hey, it's me!) I feel like the kind of person who can say "the foreign travel trip cost only the plane ticket!" is inherently the kind of person who needs to travel outside the country to learn about the world, and remain oblivious to the vast swaths of their own country that's a completely different world than the one they thought they lived in to begin with, even if that swath was 10 minutes away from them.... While I'd never heard of such programs that "cost nothing other than travel", and that is indeed interesting, there are plenty of costs beyond the airfare involved in that, and that's not even including loss of income!

It sounds distinctly like a bunch of gilded-age nobles prattling on about how those peasants should appreciate the arts more.

@Anti-Matter To a degree I think boxing in general is past it's prime. It's the oldest sport there is, but adults pummeling each other to a bloody pulp isn't really the fashion of the modern era, in the industrialized world, at least. It's popular in some places in the Caribbean, South America, etc, mostly less-developed countries, and it of course still has some niche popularity many places in the world including the US, but it's not "popular" so much as a niche interest pretty much everywhere. Back in the 80's people would buy Pay Per View cable just to see "the big fight". You don't see that anymore. Nobody knows there even are "big fights", George Foreman isn't a legendary sports hero, he's a lovable appliance salesman. Mike Tyson remains the image of the brutality of what was once a sport watched by savages. It's a very "Olympic sport" which is to say it's a thing that people do and some people spectate, but nobody actually is aware of this unless the Olympics are on. And that part airs at 4:00AM when nobody is watching because it's a ratings failure. Like water polo and regatta.

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
What do you think about Muay Thai ?
Because since it's like their national sport for Thai peoples and i heard Thai peoples like to watch Muay Thai bout.

Do you think it's normal if Boxing or Kickboxing become popular sports, peoples start to talk about and more peoples encouraged to start their career as Boxer / Kickboxer ?
Because that was i really dreamt of and thus i have created my own Avian Kickboxing sport if you ever knew from my last conversations with @bimmy-lee
Untitled

Peoples consider Boxing / Kickboxing as a Super Star career, just like peoples consider Blitz Ball players as celebrities.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

redd214

Boxing is more popular than just something people think about during the Olympics lol. Still definitely a niche nowadays and will never be as popular as it once was to say people only think about it every four years is just wrong. Hell Saturdays fight proved that!

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Maaryotyme

@Anti-Matter I like boxing and mixed martial arts. But I would of thought it’s not for you as it is a bloody sport. A physical contact sport.

Maaryotyme

Maaryotyme

@Anti-Matter the main thing is if you like boxing and enjoy the sport then good for you but you can’t force everyone else to enjoy it.

In some countries base ball and basketball is big and popular but I wouldn’t say I’m sick of the sport popularity just because I don’t follow it

Maaryotyme

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter Back, 70 years ago, it was like that. Boxing was a big sport, people payed big money to watch. It was kind of what football (be it American or "soccer") is today in various places.

Fun fact (since Thanos and I have the running train meme, here's a little train trivia) - back in the day, 1920's or so, one of the big big big fights of the era was taking place late in the evening. To get the winner printed in the papers by morning, they sent a lone steam engine well past it's operating specifications, the fastest one they could find to get to the NYT printing press in NYC in time. The thing clocked well over 120 miles per hour and got there in time...one of the earlier speed records for trains - or any moving vehicles. All to get the fight winner in the papers by morning! Even today that's not a speed commonly seen on trains aside from "bullet trains"/HSR systems. That was incredibly unsafe.

Howard Cosell, one of the biggest, most famous voices in American sports broadcasting was most known for his calling of fights. His manner of speech is still emulated today both in comedy/parody and in real sportscasting.

But that was half a century ago....it's been steadily losing popularity since. Not particular reason other than general distaste for the brutishness of the fight, and the fact that it's "old fashioned" and bigger spectacles have replaced it.

Everything is cyclical. Someday it will probably come back in fashion. But for now it's a smaller niche. It's not going away any time soon, but it's not "mainstream."

Muay Thai, and other particular martial sports here, isn't a sport that's followed much, or really thought of as "sports" specificall, here. It follows under the MMA umbrella, it's also a niche. It has it's participants, it has its fans, but it's not something you are aware of if you're not looking for it. Another "Olympic sport" kind of thing. If you follow it, it's there, if you don't, you hear the name every 4 years in passing.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@redd214 What Saturday's fight? Didn't even know there was any such thing of note. Hence my point.

And yeah, it's still a more "common" sport than regatta and water polo...I was being a bit sarcastic there. But my point is it's pretty niche and most people know it exists (unlike the former) but are entirely unaware of it going on. Case in point. MOST people are unaware there was some fight on Saturday, who was involved, or really much else about it. It may have been a big event for someone that actively follows it or follows "all sports" in the same way gamers might follow "all brands" at E3.

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia lol yup you're right, hopefully I get invited to 3 water polo watch parties next weekend and my friend's bar stays open later so people can indulge in the big water polo match.

redd214

NEStalgia

@redd214 I hope they leave some screens running the big rhythmic gymnastics finals!

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

(Today’s southern report)
Everyone to me today: You have ink/dirt/stuff on your face.
Me: It’s ashes.
Everyone: What?
Me: Today is Ash Wednesday.
Everyone: I don’t know what that is.
Me: Can we move on?

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@HobbitGamer Just tell them it's the onset of coronavirus. They won't ask again. They won't bother you again. You'll have the complex to yourself entirely.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic