Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 32,601 to 32,620 of 96,553

1UP_MARIO

@bimmy-lee I kinda felt sorry for the machines. They were looking fresh and new but no one seem to wanna exchange their money to play a free to play game on mobile @ThanosReXXX it is. I did have it on my phone but asking for a pound to play is a hard sale

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

bimmy-lee

@1UP_MARIO - The machines in your picture actually do look pretty nice. They just need altered to have two players with joysticks and six buttons, and then unplug the phone inside and install whatever setup you want.

@ThanksReXXX - Remember back in the day when there would be at least one cabinet stuck in the corner of every gas station, pub, grocery store, bowling alley, etc? It’s getting to be that way with these mobile cabinets. Everything is a knockoff of a knockoff, and they’re just really gross.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NEStalgia

@Heavyarms55 Oh it wasn't "young people" that started the problem. That was the boomers actually, that bought into that whole mess. The part I find dismal is that the younger people are entirely unaware of any world prior to their existence, and DEFEND that new world as though anything prior is irrelevant, rather than acknowledging it has to get back on track.

As for how to get products back to the way they were, sadly, the companies are only offering what sells, and people seem to actually have learned to like what sells. If the consumer dollar went to the product promising the highest durability, the multi-nats would be falling over themselves to advertise the first revolutionary washing machine that never needs repair (** Study performed in closed test environment over a 36 hour period. Actual results may vary.) Sure it's bad for business compared to the current, but if the consumer dollar went that way, they'd follow.

The problem is the consumer dollar right now goes wherever they tell it to go and everyone just says "no point doing anything else, it can't be changed, we can't just stop buying stuff!" That's in fact not how free market works. That's how Fascism works though. So which do we have?

The small company making repairable products wouldn't be doomed if consumers actually preferred that product. They'd have to charge more, but offer more value over the long term. And could advertise as such. The big companies would have to adopt their same practices or be replaced, or buy out those smaller companies to get a piece of the pie. But that's not what consumers want. They want cheap, not value. At least in the US. That's been well known. The sticker price matters more than TCO. The $399 product that lasts 8 months will outsell the $1199 product that lasts 10 years, every single time.

It's not the fault of "the corporations" - the problem actually is the public. The corporations give them exactly what they want for exactly what they want to pay.

Then we'll hear about "save the climate" and all the waste, and how you should wash your food containers to recycle them. Meanwhile another 90,000 plastic washing machines go in a landfill this week, and another 100,000 will be manufactured in a smog-town in PRC, loaded on a barge, and shipped to San Fran where 200,000 glossy PVC posters will advertise them in retail stores across the nation.

I think at this point if we're not going to address the elephant in the room that is the disposable consumer economy, we should at least permanently shut up about "the environment" and just burn as much plastic as possible until the world burns. Can't have it both ways. Anything else is just an illusion.

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

Speaking about arcade machine...
Untitled

Untitled

I have played DDR X3 Arcade just now. 😀

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee ThanksReXXX?
But yeah, I remember those days. Over here, they were also often found in pubs, snack bars and even discos.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia @StableInvadeel You guys should start a comedy club. So hilarious...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Again! My autocorrect is officially corrupted. It’s reply button only from this point forward. Sorry about that GesundheitReXXX.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NEStalgia

So I got an email from Microsoft titled "IT Chapter 2: The terrifying tale comes to an end."

When you see that in your inbox from Microsoft it has a different connotation than if it came from, say, Netflix.

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

HilarieXXX!

There haven't been any arcades around here for years. The closest thing that would sort of qualify is a Dave & Buster's a couple of hours from here.

The occasional arcade machine or two exists at a lone establishment here, but they aren't as plentiful as they used to be. Most of those spots are now taken up by rigged crane machines and photo booths.

Anywho, glad that it's Hump Day! I'll have to work a bit late, but I'll be participating in some of Raid Hour in PoGo this evening.

@Heavyarms55 Excellent! Another use for some cheese I have sitting around.

@ThanosReXXX Also worth a shot. Thanks for sharing!

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NEStalgia

@1UP_MARIO I've seen those cabinets. They keep them up front near Skee Ball be and the spinning tables you push a button to knock Pokemon cards and Hannah Montana keychains into the redemption bin. I just shrug as i pass it on my way to SFIV, Time Crisis, and the row of Mario Kart 8 machines

NEStalgia

Heavyarms55

@NEStalgia I'm going to cut off our conversation here. I can see we have very different world views, life experiences and strong opinions on these topics. I seriously doubt that either of us is going to say anything we haven't heard elsewhere or change the other's position on them.

@Tyranexx Cheese always has a use!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Heavyarms55

I just want to say that (is it a trend yet?) this thing with demos that have transferable progress to the main game should you buy - is a heck of a great idea and I love it! I really hope this becomes standard and more and more companies do this!

Heavyarms55

@RedderRugfish You'll shoot your eye out kid!

Tyranexx

Demos with transferrable progress are definitely welcome in my book. I'll be taking advantage of that aspect soon when I start playing (or technically get back to playing) Monster Hunter Stories.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Heavyarms55

@RedderRugfish My mother never allowed me to have nerf guns. I imagine it was my father who made the rule though, because there was too much potential they would break something around the house and he was real strict about that.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic