Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 31,881 to 31,900 of 32,924

NEStalgia

@Morpheel Eww, I hadn't heard that. That would be dreadful....a guaranteed self-destroying console.

NEStalgia

Morpheel

I just tested it, and it indeed refuses to turn on without the battery pack installed. It just has an orange led that never stops blinking.

I guess there could be a way to fool it into thinking it has a battery.

This is all made better when you remember the gamepad is always constantly using up battery power, so even if you don't use it, it will likely run out on it's own, requiring you to charge it up again. Constantly. Battery friendly!

Edited on by Morpheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - Yeah, I could only laugh about my “wireless” gamepad. I also couldn’t leave the main floor with it. If I went four steps up or down, disconnect. I have a weird layout at my place, but I still always found it absurd. I don’t want to come across as bitter about it as I really enjoyed the system, but there were frustrations. Switch cleared them all up in my opinion.

@Morpheel - Yeah, I don’t think the gamepad runs at all without a battery even if it’s plugged in, but I’ve never tried. For a brief period of time, Nintendo sold extended life batteries which could replace the stock battery, and hold a charge much, much longer. For the last year I played my launch model, my gamepad would only last 30-40 minutes on a full charge.

Edit - I’m slow at typing.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

bimmy-lee

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee My biggest frustration after getting he larger battery was mostly related to the s.l.o..w boot time, even with "quick start". And getting to any system menu was painful. That was just bizarre oversight.

That's really really depressing they can't run without batteries though. I hadn't realized WiiU's are ticking time bomb consoles. So much for "physical games preserve your copy forever" if the hardware itself will fail to run when a replaceable but no incentive to manufacture battery unit will keep the hardware from even being used in the future

NEStalgia

1UP_MARIO

@bimmy-lee they still sell the bigger battery here in the uk (Nintendo.co.uk). Shame they stop selling it over there as it does give you a better playing experience. It gives roughly 5 hours or more on the gamepad.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - It was really frustrating. First thing I noticed with the Switch. Instant gaming, and I can just bounce from game to game in seconds. I always liked the Mii Plaza, and all the ambient music and noises on Wii and WiiU, but I’m happy to trade them in for snappy UI.

bimmy-lee

bimmy-lee

@1UP_MARIO - That’s interesting. I followed the NOA site for months hoping they’d re stock, but they never did, and eventually I gave up. Maybe they’re back, but I haven’t checked for years now. It really would make a huge difference. Five hours is multiple play sessions for me. Unless I fall asleep while playing. Which happens a lot.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

bimmy-lee

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee 3DS and Vita had spoiled me prior to Switch, but it is so nice having a "main" game system taht does that. (To be fair PS4 and X1 now do that as well. Usually. )

I think I imported my battery from Japan even at the time. NoA's website is disastrous. Not just a Nintendo thing, I've noticed a lot of things ,even things like European audio companies, their US shell corporation is just that. EG, one of the German headphone companies, sells pads, cables, etc for all the headphones they make on their German website, but won't ship to the US. Their equivalent website here has only a handful of such items. If you contact them they get back to you over 2 weeks later with a paper order form that you're supposed to fill out and email to them - with your credit card number on it !!!!

Why is it the US is pretty much equal to Guatemala in terms of international business support?

NEStalgia

1UP_MARIO

@bimmy-lee it really does make a difference. I doubt you’ll find it on the NOA site but give it a try as for the price too it’s a great purchase.

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - Ha, I had to bookmark the battery page on NOA’s site because it was almost impossible to find it from the main page. I should have imported. Were those VW or BMW headphones because it’s a similar deal trying to get parts for those vehicles around here. When I was in service and would call dealers about ordering even the simplest of OE parts, they were always weeks out. I just always assumed they were carnies and trying to steal my customers, except they were my customers precisely because they had previous dealings with the dealerships.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

bimmy-lee

bimmy-lee

@1UP_MARIO - I just took a quick look and found some unofficial extended life batteries on Amazon that look ready to explode. I didn’t find anything on NOA, but I found a thread on Reddit from March stating that Nintendo no longer sells any type of battery for the old girl. That was Reddit though, so grain of salt required.

bimmy-lee

1UP_MARIO

@bimmy-lee I’m not too confident with the third party batteries after my experience with them. I’ve gone through 2 for the PSP and now the only way to play it is by having it plugged to the wall.

bimmy-lee

@1UP_MARIO - The exact same thing happened to my younger brother after one third party battery. Then the charging port got loose because he absentmindedly yanked it off the cord a few times. He tried taping it on, but eventually the screen got broken because of youthful rage over the charging issue.

bimmy-lee

Tyranexx

I believe I'm getting to the point where my Gamepad needs a battery replacement. It's not too bad - it still lasts for a 2 hour gaming session - but that figure used to be closer to 3. I've had the system since mid-2015, so it's time. I use the pro controller in some scenarios, but I prefer going Gamepad-only for the GBA VC games; I much prefer them on a smaller screen.

(Edit: Okay, I understand that the battery life wasn't amazing to begin with, but I found 3 hours still somewhat reasonable for all but the longest gaming sessions.)

Edited on by Tyranexx

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started
Currently playing: Pokemon Ultra Sun (post-game), Yoshi's Island (SNES Classic)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

bimmy-lee

@Tyranexx - That’s amazing. I didn’t get three hours out of the box. Not sure it ever made it past two hours. Maybe it was a launch model issue. I rarely buy at launch, but I did with the WiiU because I was really ready to move on from my Wii.

bimmy-lee

Tyranexx

@bimmy-lee To be fair, a little bit of that time includes the red warning light; I normally didn't bother breaking out the charger until it started blinking. XD

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started
Currently playing: Pokemon Ultra Sun (post-game), Yoshi's Island (SNES Classic)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Anti-Matter

@Tyranexx
Wii U gamepad battery will start to lose its energy if you don't use it very long time. 😐

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Heavyarms55

@Ninfan Well Steam just sells games. There are plenty of good games on it. And plenty of trash games because they let just about anyone list a game on there. But the vast majority of my gaming has been on Switch the last couple years. Before that it was a mix of Steam, 3DS, Wii U and PS4. And Blizzard' app "Battle.net" for Hearthstone and Overwatch.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

Heavyarms55

I used to know how to fix this myself but I can't recall. When I tried using my Wii U again last night it no longer sees my router. At all. When scan I see my neighbor's routers and was able to connect to my phone's mobile hotspot, but it doesn't even see my router at all. It makes no sense because it was fine last time I used it.

I swear I fixed it before by power cycling the Wii U and router before, but that didn't work this time. It wasn't a big deal, because I was just checking what VC titles were listed but it is so weird that it doesn't see the signal at all. It's not even 2 feet away from the Switch which is connected just fine.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

bimmy-lee

@Tyranexx - I’m not doubting you at all. I’ve always thought they went to a different battery early/mid gen because it was one of the early negatives about the system. For comparison, I usually took my gamepad to the solid red light, which meant I had about 45 seconds to plug it in. From blinking to solid red was usually only a minute or two.

@Anti-Matter - As long as the console is plugged in, the gamepad will draw from the battery. If you unplug the console, the gamepad stops trying to communicate. I’ve read that it’s best, for longer term storage of the gamepad and console, to charge the gamepad to 25-30% before you store it.

bimmy-lee

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic