Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 31,621 to 31,640 of 34,189

the_shpydar

Heavyarms55 wrote:

I mean, it is an addiction, not a habit.

It's actually both. While of course there is the chemical addiction part of it, any smoker can tell you that it's a habit as well — as in, you will regularly have a smoke at certain times, like after a meal, when getting in the car for a drive, at a specific regular break-time during work, etc. That's a big reason why it's so hard to quit — not only does your body develop a physiological dependence/craving (the addiction), there's a huge psychological component to it as well (the habit), especially when you've been a smoker for a long time.

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

HobbitGamer

@the_shpydar This. Humans are horribly predictable because we love routines. Changing routines takes effort.
People, places, things.
It is what it is. I personally know it’s not healthy at all, but I’m just not willing to give it up right now. So I at least attempt to minimize my own choice from impacting others. Just because I choose to infuse my body with massive amounts of crap doesn’t mean others want the byproduct 😂

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Octane

HobbitGamer wrote:

Just because I choose to infuse my body with massive amounts of crap doesn’t mean others want the byproduct 😂

I told you pineapple pizza is bad for you...

Octane

HobbitGamer

It’s too legit to quit

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Knuckles-Fajita

My work misadventures continue with a 170kg display falling on me. Managed to hold it up, only just, but it's killed .y back and hips.

Also while I was on holiday my new supervisor started, ya know, the kne who didnt work on our department until now.

Turns out she didnt really do anything with or for the team. So good pick she was.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia wrote:

Yeah, truth be told, your self-description is that of the exact kind of person I ruthlessly despise, except for the anti-authoritarian bent which I value

Nah, you'd like me. You'd be too scared not too...

But all joking aside: a bit out of context, seeing as I did also mention being highly social, and a real people person. The key word is moderation, in all of it. I'm neither overpowering people with my more dominant qualities, nor am I smothering them with my lovable people skills. I know how to level with just about anyone. If anything, it's that exact skill which is the more scary part about me.

P.S.

Calling someone a sociopath isn't really any less insulting than calling them a psychopath...

@rjejr You knew you'd find what? Got your threads mixed up?

Completely agreed on the Passage, though. I obviously had to keep my mouth shut until you've seen all of them, but my sentiments were pretty much the same. There's talk about a second season, but by the time they'd start filming that, they'd have to explain how this forever young girl has suddenly gotten visibly older.

All in all, it was still quite an interesting ride regardless. Shame about the drop-off ending...

But Preacher is also a good show, so you've got some good episodes to look forward to. I don't know if you're into that, but I've personally also enjoyed The Exorcist series, and right now, I'm looking forward to season 3 of Marvel's Legion, which I also saw you mentioning, and which will start on the European Fox Network next week. Be sure to strap in for a really psychedelic ride with that series, though, because calling it weird doesn't even come close to describing the experience of watching it all unfold...

@Tyranexx Yeah, all of the Treehouse segments are available on the official Nintendo YouTube channel now, as are the Direct itself, and all the individual game trailers/teasers, so you can now play catch up in your own time...

@HobbitGamer Well, you could always start vaping. I do believe they also have pineapple flavor now...

@bimmy-lee @HobbitGamer All this talk about Mr. Rogers made me think of my uncle, who at times referred to my aunt as Mrs. Butterworth. For clarity's sake: both were unfamiliar to me, but apparently so very American that I actually should have known them, to some extent at least. But in the case of my aunt, my uncle had to explain it to me, which kind of killed the joke.

But at least I got it (and the context), the next time he called her Mrs. Butterworth...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@Knuckles-Fajita A 170kg display? What the hell was it made of? Concrete?

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NintendoByNature

So I racked up about $80 in eshop credit. Plus gold coins, i have about $10 in. I'm considering getting another one of those vouchers. But I'm not sure i want to go all digital. Decisions decisions..

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@Morpheel Luckily, they aren't CRT cabinets anymore, so the weight has most certainly dropped quite dramatically, over the last couple of decades...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Luna_110

Still, 170 kgs for a TV is insane. Was it an 80 inches display or something?
That could have killed someone!

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Knuckles-Fajita

@ThanosReXXX Couple hundred bottles of ketchup in a cardboard stand.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

rjejr

@ThanosReXXX Yes, what I was looking for was our discussion of The Passage. I wouldn't even watch a 2nd season. I'm easily turned off. I'm nto even planning watching season 3 of Westworld despite how great 1 was b/c 2 was lame. I do need to get on Legion once I catch up on Preacher. Mr. Robot returns in October I think and I need to rewatch the first 3 seasons, ti's been too long, almost 2 years, like GoT. My son is watching The Gifted now, he's says it's good but it looks too normal TV to me. I already watch The Flash, Arrow and DCs Legends of Tomorrow for normal TV superhero shows. And Cloak & Dagger, need to watch season 2 of that as well. Some day I'll have to face that I'll simply never catch up. Like A HAndmades Tale. Season 3 started, haven't watched season 2 yet. Only TV can both have nothing but garbage yet still have so many shows I want to watch.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

ThanosReXXX

@Knuckles-Fajita Ouch. Whoever came up with that, should be fired. Stuff like that should be doubly secured to prevent exactly such scenarios as the one you've now fallen victim to. And not to make fun of it, but I also couldn't help thinking how difficult it would have been to see if anyone's actually hurt, in the midst of liters of ketchup...

I hope you're going to be alright, though. I think we've already established several mishaps ago, that you just don't seem to be able to catch a break for once, so here's hoping misfortune is going to skip your door for the next couple of years, at the very least.

@rjejr Didn't I mention before, that you should listen to your kids?
The Gifted is one of the best, if not THE best super hero series on TV right now, and believe me, there's plenty of decidedly beyond normal things happening in it, so you might wanna put that on your to watch list as well. The writing is top notch, the stories are deep and intertwining, you get a nice chunk of back story on other Marvel stuff, and the actors are pretty damn good as well.

It's definitely better than any of the DC super hero series, and that's coming from someone who REALLY likes Arrow and The Flash.

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - There was always at least one Mrs. Butterworth commercial on during Saturday morning cartoons. I’ll admit that I had a couple slightly inappropriate thoughts on the wild possibilities concerning her anatomy. She was very maternal though, so it really did feel inappropriate. Your aunt sounds sweet as syrup though.

I know the whereabouts of your age and when you left the states, and I’m a little surprised you don’t remember Mrs. Butterworth. Mister Rogers was between runs on his children’s show when you were his target audience. If you were a little older, you’d probably remember his original run, and if you we’re a little younger, you’d probably remember his second run beginning in the late 70s all the way through the early 00s.

bimmy-lee

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee I had just turned 9, and I wasn't really paying attention to any commercials, other than the ones that would interest any child of that age. And to be honest, much of my life back then has become a bit of a blur, due to various reasons, so I've lost quite a few details over the decades, unfortunately.

I do vaguely remember Mr. Rogers, but only now that I've re-acquainted myself with the source material.

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - I watched him as a kid, and I’ve been experiencing it all again with my kids. There are some really interesting episodes, and I like his focus on calm, practical learning and understanding, as well as art and music. My kids love him. I do too. The documentary from last year is really good. It made me cry like I was Anti watching the Genie turn human, and that doesn’t happen much at all with movies.

One other side note concerning the old glass bottle Mrs. Butterworth; she could quite easily be made into a fashionable water pipe. I knew a guy who made them and sold them for $10 at the time. Me and a looooot of other young teens had some of our first weird experiences with her and her reassuring smile as our guide.

bimmy-lee

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee I don't think I would want to have that image of Mrs. Butterworth in my mind, considering my personal link with the name...

HobbitGamer

Does anyone have Stardew that’s used the online co-op before? I’m on a farming kick and restarted; hadn’t played it since the update.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic