Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 27,441 to 27,460 of 48,027

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter I wouldn't buy used video game controllers ever again. 90% of the time, it was sold because it wasn't performing correctly. It's a wearable, consumable device, and most of the time if anyone's selling it (without the rest of the system) it's because something is wrong with it. Consoles...I've had one bad experience with a used one, but even that isn't entirely a bad one (current PS4 Pro was beeping like crazy for months, but after I moved it it stopped beeping.....though the video cut out the other day. That was weird.)

I think "not from China/HK" is pretty much the safe standard rule for buying anything, "new" or not, though Not unless it's a known/trusted exporter.

NEStalgia

Octane

I used to buy Pokemon games from Hong Kong back in the day, because the games always took a year to come to Europe. Never had a problem to be honest.

Octane

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Nothing politically charged about it. That's just standard business in China. The major corprations operate as a function of the government, or specifically the party. There's no operating without their consent, there's no consent without demonstration of loyalty, and there's no rising to major success without being "important" to the government/party. That's not political charge...that's more or less law, even if it's only partially written. Ma, in particular, kept a good charade going for years, saying the right things to pretend to be distant from the government, falling only slightly short of outright denying affiliation with the party, and pretending to be the example to the world of good private business in China. Until the Party news rag accidentally outed him as an outstanding party member of accomplishment last year....oops. As it turns out Alibaba is status-quo-government-partnership business after all, not the shining exception to the rule. And then leaks started pointing to him as the government contractor responsible for the social score thing. Which means, very likely, Alibaba itself has it's data majorly related to that. Voluntarily. And also behind Credit Sesame (the run adverts here) as the credit score app that's absolutely free! Which.....as it turns out is part of/a trial of the social scoring system...and they're spreading it here....

Again, I'm under no illusion that Amazon/MS isn't far too tightly in bed with government, nor that Facebook wasn't started with money from a known CIA front company, and I'm almost equally uneasy about that. But, there's no denying that the tight top-to-bottom control of a true Communist system is nothing short of terrifying, and the inclination and partial success of hiding it is even more terrifying.

I'm not suggesting you're not going to get your product from Ali, of course you are. The concern is what product you just gave them by ordering.

NEStalgia

Eel

Talking about eBay, I recently had a "shopping spree" there.

Ordered a few stationery items from China (which I hope all come before may because they're mostly gifts), and the most adorable spool knitter I have ever seen. That last one comes from Europe, which is often a bit quicker.

I'm still waiting for the copy of Sonic Adventure from last month, but I believe that one is already in Mexico so it should not be long.

As for ordering from China, they've never asked for more information other than what is given upon payment. And I've bought things from Ali Express and eBay. At most, my bank will ask for an identity confirmation (rarely), but that one is the bank, not the seller.

The only problem is how long they take to deliver.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

HobbitGamer

That copy of SA will arrive sooner if you follow your rainbow.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Eel

Silly that's SA2.

(I already have that one!)

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

HobbitGamer

Oh yeah. Well, shucks. That's the best I had.

...But I ain't gonna let it get to me, I'm just gon' creep.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Eel

Yup, still SA2

(To be fair, I don’t think SA1 had all that many memorable songs. Except maybe Big The cat’s theme)

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

HobbitGamer

That time I knew it. 2 had....um...Open Your Heart. And "Woah, My Head's Spinning" played quite often for me.

#MudStrongs

Octane

@Morpheel Need some help. I bought ''authentic Mexican'' corn tortillas, and there was more wheat than corn in it. Is that common? I'm just sitting here wondering what to do with my life...

Octane

Daloblast

@Octane Uh, not sure they are "authentic" corn tortillas then, but, uh, yeah.

Daloblast

My Nintendo: Daloblast

ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia wrote:

The concern is what product you just gave them by ordering.

@NEStalgia Well, money, obviously.
But in all seriousness, I don't give a rat's @ss what they gather or what they do with it, seeing as just about any web shop does the exact same thing. So, as long as my order is delivered, and the quality and customer service is good, I won't lose a second of sleep over it.

On a side note: for me personally, mentioning ties with governments and what not, actually DOES border on a politically charged part of a discussion, and I don't care about that at all. And I use PayPal, which is more than secure enough to take care of all things that might be of any concern in international transactions like these.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Eel

@Octane here in Mexico we use both wheat and corn to make tortillas, though using both at the same time is unusual. Some people do it to get a different texture, but it’s not like, normal.

I guess they just used wheat as a filler, or maybe to improve shelf life? Corn tortillas tend to get stiff quite quickly.

As for what to do with them, just make quesadillas, or use them like bread with your normal food. A common use here is to roll them up and using them to help the food into the spoon/fork. Then you bite a chunk off every now and then until there’s no more tortilla. Alternatively you can just taco anything in your plate.

You could also chop them julienne style and bake/fry them until they’re crunchy, then add them to soup or salad. (This works better with regular corn tortillas)

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

Octane

@Morpheel Since it is Offend an Italian Day, I decided to make tortilla lasagna. So it was kinda like quesadillas, but stacked, and in a baking dish.

I just checked, and apparently they were made in Mexico. So only 50% authentic in that case.

Octane

Eel

Well if they're made in Mexico that makes them full "authentic Mexican" imo

Bloop.

My dead channel.

NEStalgia

@Octane I imagine anything sold in a US supermarket that says "authentic [insert culture here]" is as authentic as Tofurkey.

@ThanosReXXX Pfft, and here I thought you were also the type to be concerned with data security, privacy, and the global surveillance state that is the new internet driven world.... I guess you'll be cloud streaming your games soon, and trading your discs for digital keys too!

Politics is opinion over which groups to endorse, which views to promote etc. Pointing to corporate ties to governments isn't politics, it's active policy. Specifically with China, that has all kinds of specific relevance as that government-business setup is important with just about all trade. When you do business with China, you are doing business with the Chinese government. Small Chinese business is generally fine as they don't have the eye of government as a direct participant. But the big ones. Huawei, Alibaba, Lenovo, Tencent, etc. you're working directly with the CCP whether they make it clear or not. The implications of that, their openly stated policies and aims etc should give one pause.

I unfortunately do still buy Lenovo, since they're really the only company that makes what they make, there's little choice. But they're also the poster child for my point. They've been caught, not once, not twice, but THREE times, embedding spyware into the CMOS of machines of the type that even if you purge it from Windows, it just reinstall the next time you boot....because it's baked right into the hardware itself. It phones home to Beijing. I don't trust any tech company, I don't trust the cloud, and I don't trust any government, but when China is involved, there does need to be an expectation of extra vigilance. It's a different world there. I've purchased from plenty of smaller Chinese companies....but the big ones...no way.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Morpheel This might count as the first instance I've ever heard the word "taco" used as a verb.

NEStalgia

Eel

Well "make a taco with" is several words too long.

Bloop.

My dead channel.

NEStalgia

@Morpheel I need to get to reddit as fast as possible to make "taco it" a meme....

NEStalgia

Eel

I'd be very surpised if someone else hasn't used taco as a verb before

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic