Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 24,921 to 24,940 of 96,503

Tyranexx

GyroZeppeli wrote:

Hypothetical question: If a person was selling mulch and fertilizer for a fundraiser, would you buy it?

Honestly?....People around here probably would support the fundraiser if they have a stake in your school, but past that you'd be laughed out the door. Fertilizer is easy to come by around here. If I really needed some, I'd drive to my parents' place and shovel some out of the cattle lot.

Depending on your area, it might not be a terrible idea though.

@ThanosReXXX: So in short, a Michael Bay film.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ThanosReXXX

@Blitzenexx Haha, yeah, you would think so, wouldn't you?
Although... Here's hoping that now that somebody else has taken over the helm in the Transformers Cinematic Universe, things are going to be better. Haven't seen the latest yet, but I have a feeling, from the few trailers I've seen, that it definitely has the potential to get the series in an upward spiral again.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Vinny

Looking back, 2015 was a pretty weird year for a Nintendo fan. Many games were delayed (the biggest one being BOTW, unnamed at the time), people complaining about amiibo shortages, Nintendo announcing the NX and just keeping quiet for a really long time, months and months without a Direct and rumors everywhere...

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

GeoChrome

@JackEatsSparrows We’re doing it every Sunday, starting yesterday. It’s about a month until we actually deliver. (Sorry for the late reply, I was at school.)
@Blitzenexx It’s a Scouts fundraiser, the closest thing my school has to fundraising is coupon books and Spirit Nights. A lot of people here have gardening services, but most of the older guys are pretty generous with donations. The only real benefit to buying stuff from us is that we deliver ourselves and it’s cheaper than Home Depot or Lowe’s.

Edited on by GeoChrome

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX: I can't really comment much on those TBH. I saw the first movie and enjoyed it for the most part and had every intention of going to see Revenge of the Fallen. The latter unfortunately has never happened yet, and I've put off watching all the other films until I can watch them in order.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

ThanosReXXX

@Blitzenexx Well, you can, seeing as the main story line, spanning 4 movies, is now released on Bluray, and of course available digitally. In 6 to 8 months, Bumblebee will probably join that collection as well.

Don't get me wrong: I actually did see and reasonably enjoyed all of the movies, but I did have to make a mental disconnect with the "real" Transformers, because the movies are, in many ways, too far removed from it. A shame really, since it's CGI, so they could have just as easily remained faithful to the source material, or at least more faithful than they've been now, which is probably what has upset so many fans.

Marvel is much more aware of how to walk this line. The movies aren't exactly canon, or completely along the lines of the comics, but they did find the sweet spot to make it work and keep the audience satisfied, for the most part, anyway.

Oh, well... I guess we'll probably never get a 100% faithful movie of anything comics- or fantasy-related. Even the most accurate movie adaptation, The Lord of the Rings, skipped a lot of stuff that was in the books, but it's still a miracle that it ever even came to cinemas in the first place, seeing as up to that point, the book was always considered to be impossible to translate to the movie screen, by most people in the business. Kudos to Peter Jackson for pulling it off, and then some.

But then he overstepped with the Hobbit trilogy, which was too much on many levels, especially considering the far shorter story that served as its source material, so there again, we can come to the same conclusion.

Best thing to be able to enjoy movie adaptations of any of those IP's, is probably to leave your brain and/or knowledge of the source material at home, and just enjoy the ride...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX: In that case, I'll probably rent them sometime or finally subscribe to Netflix then. I had actually forgotten that Bumblebee was out. XD

I normally try to read the book(s) before going to see the movie adaptation(s), but I'm almost ashamed to admit that I've done that in reverse order with Lord of the Rings. I watched the entire trilogy and am now getting around to reading the books. Conversely, I've read The Hobbit but haven't seen those movies yet.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Eel

The Hobbit would've been so much better had they not tried to force it into a lengthy trilogy like they did with LotR.

You know, a story that's like five times longer.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

HobbitGamer

Yeah, I tend to view movies with different media beginnings in a “different way to tell X concept”. Probably explains why I liked Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, both MK, and Assassins Creed.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Eel

I'm gonna stay in character for a little longer...

About another two months?

Enough time to make you all familiar with the name before I change it!

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

GeoChrome

Got it, Yosheel Modpheel, Meowpheel, Delibheel, and abgarok.

Edited on by GeoChrome

GeoChrome

I think those are the only ones I’ve seen.

Did you know? World Record Egg has won the battle of Instagram likes. All supporters are the highest organisms, including the chicken.

Edited on by GeoChrome

HobbitGamer

Delibheel wrote:

You missed a few

Mantorok, Chattur’gha, Ulyaoth?

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@Blitzenexx Haha, well, if you read the book first (and props to you, since getting into the story initially is pretty slow going, because of the way Tolkien wrote and constructed it), be prepared for a reasonable number of "but that didn't happen" or "why did they leave that out?" moments. Like I said: it's probably the best book to movie adaptation there is, but it's still not 100%. Oh, and be sure to watch the latest versions, at least they've added some extra material.

But all in all, the movies are great. In fact: I'm watching the trilogy again as we speak. One of the networks I'm subbed to, decided to do a "Lord of the Rings Monday" cycle, so every Monday, one of the movies is shown. And even after already having seen all of them 4 times, they still get to me. Be prepared to be moved, perhaps even to tears, because there certainly are some heavy and beautiful moments in there.

Even though they were made several years later, and the effects they used are more advanced, the Hobbit trilogy can't even compare. Probably also because he spread the much smaller story so thin, that he had to add several elements to it, to pad it all out again...

@Delibheel Yeah, like I said: he overstepped there, probably still a bit drunk on his success with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. And it being five times longer? How about nearly ten? The Hobbit is just an average length pocket book, while the complete edition of The Lord of the Rings is almost 1300 pages...

@the_shpydar Haha, that's pretty funny. Wonder how I ever missed that, since I did regularly watch Robot Chicken.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Eel

I didn't want to overshot it. Made a physical comparison between the books I have on the shelf

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

ThanosReXXX

@Delibheel I figured you did something like that, but the problem with that is that the Hobbit book uses normal paper, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy uses extra thin paper (making a physical comparison skewed), unless you have the three parts in separate books. And those separate parts aren't the complete edition either, so they're missing quite a few pages...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic