Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 24,841 to 24,860 of 96,305

Tyranexx

@ReaderRagfihs: The only thing really keeping me away from Cedar Point is the distance. It would basically require a full day of driving for me. Plus, I like having rollercoaster buddies, but that's harder for me to find than it should be. I like some of the really intense ones.

The closest I've been to there is King's Island near Cincinnati, but that was way back when they were owned by Paramount. I was one of the lucky(?) few who got to ride the infamous Son Of Beast when it still had that vertical loop. For those not in the know, this was a full-on wooden coaster, and loops are rare on them. They technically are more common with wooden coasters now, but these are all wooden/steel hybrids to my knowledge.

The only rides I really can't do anymore are the ones with a lot of spinning G-force, like tilt-a-whirls. They cause a lot of dizziness/pressure to build up in my head which ultimately leads to a bad headache.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Tyranexx

@ReaderRagfihs: From what I've read (Didn't realize all this when I rode it, I was a kid at the time), Son of Beast was made with cheaper wood to cut costs a little. The result was that the ride required a LOT of maintenance and had issues like structural failures; a couple of non-fatal accidents are also attributed to the ride. One of the accidents was why the loop was removed.

I could go into more detail, but it's been awhile since I've read about it; you could most likely find more detailed info online.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Vinny

tfw Pilotwings had only 3 releases in 29 years

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Anti-Matter

Off topics.

I want to know some birds names with same wing's type as
1. Albatross
2. Eagles

I'm still studying the bird wing's type before creating my own fictional characters.
I have a plan to create my own Anthromorphic Avian, but the wing type are really important for me to determine which birds names should i choose.

So far, i have designed Anthro Dove, Crow & Eagle. Other birds i considered were Woodpecker, Japanese Heron, Albatross, Macaw, Swallow, Swan.

Btw, I still didn't know wing's type of Owl / Macaw.
Is Owl wing type same as Eagle or Eliptical wing ?
And how about Macaw ? Is it Eliptical wing or Speedy type wing ?

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

gcunit

@Anti-Matter I think you want birdlife.com

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

ThanosReXXX

Or just use Google Images, or YouTube. There's a whole world of information at our disposal...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Anti-Matter

@gcunit
Btw, what is example of Sea birds and Frigate birds ?
They have Long Soaring wings type.

Anti-Matter

HobbitGamer

@Anti-Matter Hope this all helps
1) Gulls and Gannets share the same 'high-aspect ratio wing' as an Albatross
2) Harriers, Accipters, and Buteo share wing traits with Eagles.
So owls are a bit different in that they are raptor-class, even with their oddly shaped bodies. Their wings typically resemble high speed-style like a falcon, even though everyone has the image of all owls with long eagle wings.
https://academics.georgiasouthern.edu/wildlife/animals/raptors/
I think.... but i dunno about macaws

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfihs Well, there's that, but my message was actually that I think that people need to do their own research first, or by default, especially when it's so easy to do so. And there's literally tons of material to be found online, about drawing animals, birds and bird wings.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

Anti-Matter

@JackEatsSparrows
Thanks for the info. 🤓
From what i saw from Macaw wing, i thought it looked like between Eliptical and Speedy wings, but my guess was Eliptical wings since typical Tropical birds doesn't need very speedy wings to avoid predators.
Untitled

Btw, the reason i want to create my own Anthromorphic Avian because i was inspired from one Doraemon's movie about Nobita in Birdtopia.
Untitled
Untitled
I got some nice ideas after i watched that movie.
Combined with things i like most, i have my own interesting ideas about Anthromorphic Avian.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter You're welcome. The first link is actually also pretty helpful: lots of images of all kinds of bird wings.

Octane

@ReaderRagfihs I actually worked on bird wings a few years ago. We were building a database that covered anything from the mass of the individual flight muscles, to their specific wing loading and aspect ratio.

Octane

Tyranexx

I'm currently battening down the hatches since we're supposed to get a pile of snow here over the weekend. It's already started! I'm charging everything (handheld systems, phone, laptop) just in case I lose power.

Delibheel wrote:

Darn it, now I have another YT channel that I need to watch.

We went in the summer of 2004, if my math is correct. I do recall that one being pretty rough and came off of it with a slight headache IIRC. It's actually pretty common for wooden roller coasters to have some swaying; this is by design as it actually takes some of the stress off of their wooden supports. That video seems to indicate that Son of Beast's construction took that a bit too far though.

Also, I made a mistake earlier. Loops =/= inversions, which some woodies (well, hybrids) now have.

Vinny

Anyone here watch GameSack? I found some obscure titles I ended up liking thanks to that channel.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

ThanosReXXX

@Vinny I used to do that with channels like Classic Game Room (Lord Karnage specifically) which is nowadays called Tome Of Infinity, and MetalJesusRocks, who has so-called "hidden gems" videos for nearly if not all consoles and handhelds, so you might want to check these out as well, if you don't know him yet.

But yeah, GameSack is also a pretty decent channel.

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfihs Well, caring is a big word, but he has a lot of contacts in the gaming scene, each with their own channels or websites as well, so through him, you can learn about those, and the hidden gem videos truly do offer a lot of titles that plenty of people might never even have heard of otherwise, so they're a good option if you're looking for such titles.

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfihs Hm, that's honestly a bit too harsh for my taste. He's an okay guy, sympathetic, and a genuine video game enthusiast, unlike most other, far more commercial channels. And seeing as he has quite the collection, I'd figure he knows enough, other than of course the hidden gems, titles which are nearly always presented by his friends/co-hosts.

As for it being the only thing that keeps his channel around: hidden gems videos only make up for around a quarter of what he does, and he has more than enough subscribers and views, so I'd beg to differ on that specific point.

On a side-note: he's originally a PC only gamer, so that might have something to do with it. Either way,
I don't know how many of his videos you've watched, but personally, I have seen most if not all of the hidden gem videos, and only on a handful of occasions did I feel like he was a little out of touch concerning some titles, but other than that, nothing much wrong with him or his channel.

But to each their own, so fair enough either way. I've seen, subscribed to and swapped out my own fair share of channels for others, so I also don't like all of them anymore...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic