Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 5,221 to 5,240 of 6,561

jump

I dunno, why would you wait until The Rock is too old/dead to play Maui to make a live action movie and there's not likely to be another Polynesian actor as big both physically and famously as him. Besides people only watch franchises anyway.

If you want to talk about grievous reboots, remakes and sequels there is over a period of 5 years 4 different Batmen over a bunch of films and it still would have been alot more if it wasn't for multiple films being scrapped and covid basically stopping movies being released for a few years and yet another confusing reboot is coming soon. This also is ignoring the cartoon movies and tv shows which also have lots of Batmen running around.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Bunkerneath

@Owl1 Blue Beetle character looks like a mash up of The Tick and the Yellow Jacket (from first Ant man)
But looking at the actual film, doesnt look too bad

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

Rambler

Just thought of another director/ film combo, but I think this would work:

Zootropolis 2 - a Spike Lee joint.

Don't think the mighty Mr Lee has overseen any animated stuff, but considering the themes of the first one, and his versatility as a director, it could work?

Rambler

jump

@Rambler The thing about animation is it takes so long to make that a lot of indie darling directors will get bored a few years into having to approve 3 second scenes which takes months to oversee but if they work in tandem with an experienced animation director it might work.

The first thing that came into my head was who would be a good Bond director. Obvious picks like Edgar Wright and Chrissy Nolan come to mind as does Danny Boy Boyle who was booted off the last one but although he's more known for sci-fi/psychological horror stuff maybe Alex Garland as he was very hands on with Dredd which was a great action film. Also it's gotta be BS so I didn't click on it but The Daily Mail (another reason to not click on it) reckons Phoebe Waller Bridge is gonna direct the next Bond movie and it's all woke and ruining the country type stuff.

I know he already sorta has with The Green Hornet but I'd love to see Michel Gondry with a $200m budget for a bonkers superhero movie.

Edgar Wright I would love to see make a musical. *edit in particular I reckon he could be the director to crack the feeling of being at a live gig as it always feels off in movies.

Adam McKay doing a biopic on Trump would bring out the lols.

Tarantino making a sci-fi movie before he quits, proper pulp genre retro-futuristic would be cool.

I've already said Alex Garland BUT I want someone to correct the mistake of Aeon Flux!

Buffy The Vampire Slayer needs a clean after Josh turned out to be a ahole so Emerald Fennell to direct a reunion movie although I suppose someone like Drew Goddard who worked on the show would make more sense.

Julia Ducournau who has become my favourite new director in recent years directing Dracula.

More of Christopher Landon's mix of cliche teen comedies but with horror, Clueless but with horror! I would also accept Ferris Bueller’s Day Off but with horror or Dirty Dancing but with horror or Juno but with horror!

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rambler

Seems to have everyone in it. Not sure how that got green lit with Greta Gerwig directing!

Rambler

jump

I love how obnoxiously bright it is but I dunno, for the last two years people have kept saying how good the script is with being all so subversive and brilliant etc etc and that overconfidence is making me think maybe they will botch the actual film. Touchwood they land it though.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
Have you ever seen anything by Rachel MacLean? She does video installation artworks, which are incredibly bright and brash, but also a comment on the male gaze, consumerism, etc.

She had quite a big installation at Jupiter Artworld a few years ago which was done like a kids playhouse with boxed dolls and cartoon showing on a loop. Except it was about abuse.

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

StarPoint

Ouch, the Mario Movie is sitting at 48% on Tomatometer and 52 on Metacritic. Not that I was expecting it to review well, though. Seems like it's mostly aimed at children, though, so I'm not too surprised by its score. Still looking forward to seeing it tomorrow, though.

Edited on by StarPoint

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Hydra_Spectre

A common problem with kids' films is that they rely too much on just being random nonsense and being all out weird.
Even Netflix Christmas movies just go all out on being weird, and not in a good way. They feel like kids' movies but made by David Lynch.
Now, I wonder how a kids' movie made by David Lynch would be like, especially if it's a Christmas kids' movie. Go all out with his signature surrealness, but make it family-friendly.

David Lynch already made two films that can be somewhat considered "family-friendly", with the PG-rated Dune and The Elephant Man, and the U-rated The Straight Story. But even these films are far from Lynch's usual style. The Straight Story and The Elephant Man are both straightforward biographical dramas. Dune is a sci-fi/fantasy action-adventure epic, but even with Lynch's signature weirdness, it's still much less strange than Lynch's usual work. And it's really weird that Dune 1984 was marketed as a kids' movie even though it was one of the very first films to get a PG-13 in the US.

Emulation and preservation advocate. Tails fan.
The 3DS looks best with the 3D Slider set to Full.
Metal Gear will never die.
Healing through content creation.
Regularly watches films in 35mm at the cinema.
#SonicMovieSweep #GhibliSweep #MiyazakiSweep

Rambler

@Hydra_Spectre
I remember Dune action figures, which is really strange: it was a 15 in the UK.

I'm not sure if the Elephant Man is a film for the whole family to gather round on a winter's evening. Just because the certificate is accessible it doesn't mean it's for kids. The film version of Orlando is a PG, and I dont think its target audience is the under 12s.

The weirdness of kids' films generally is due to a lack of ambition and intent on the film makers. Create something hyperactive and bright to keep the little blighters from moving from the sofa and the job's done. It's just a product to stop them moving, nothing more, nothing less

Rambler

jump

Rambler wrote:

@jump
Have you ever seen anything by Rachel MacLean? She does video installation artworks, which are incredibly bright and brash, but also a comment on the male gaze, consumerism, etc.

She had quite a big installation at Jupiter Artworld a few years ago which was done like a kids playhouse with boxed dolls and cartoon showing on a loop. Except it was about abuse.

Ah, I know her. I was at the Tate to see something else and stumbled across her work.

How is Jupiter Artworld, like is it only really a place to go to during the summer? I had planned to go there as part of a mini holiday last year as Rage Against The Machine were playing a show in Edinburgh (my other options were see them in Paris which is actually quicker and cheaper than going to Scotland or Reading festival but I haven't got the patience for lightweight teenage drinkers and the line up was baffling) but two weeks befor the show they cancelled their entire Euro tour as the frontman ripped his leg muscle trying to jump into the crowd.

Nicolai wrote:

Kermit1doesmath

@jump Wait, he really got injured trying to do a crowd dive. I did not know that was possible.

dysgraphia awareness human

Rambler

@jump
It's brilliant, definitely go there if you have the chance. We drove there, so I'm not sure how easy it is to get there on public transport. As well as the installations it's also really great to just walk around as it's been landscaped really well with wooded bits and large open spaces.
It's all outside, so while it would be interesting on a rainy day, it wouldn't be nearly as good. I've not been in the winter months, but I can imagine that it would have a lovely chilly feel to it with the frozen ponds and lakes. Would be a bit muddy as well, although probably not the mud bath that the Yorkshire Sculpture Park turns into in winter!

Rambler

jump

I'm actually really liking those Barbie poster memes, the Godzila one is really cool!

@Rambler cheers, it sounds nice. I was actually looking forward to seeing it but once Rage cancelled the group didn't want to go anymore. I'm thinkng of it for the summer now, a few days drinking on the beach inbetween seeing World of Illusions, Botanic Garden, Dynamic Earth, Jupiter Artland and going to a shop that sells fossils.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump the museums and galleries are great as well Leith is now a bit gentrified I've been lead to believe so I don't think starring in your own remake of trainspotting is on the cards

Rambler

jump

@Rambler I'm sure there must be babies in Scotland somewhere so I can still recreate my favourite scene from Trainspotting.

Untitled

I saw a play of Trainspotting once, it was an interactive theatre type thing with Begbie starting arguements with people in the crowd and they did the toilet scene but the toilet was literally in between two audience seats.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic