Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 5,161 to 5,180 of 6,573

Dpullam

@WoomyNNYes How did you like it? I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Gamertag: DeePullThree
Switch Friend Code: SW-2321-5988-1019
PlayStation 5 User Profile: DeePullThree

Dpullam

Anyone know any good Netflix action titles I should watch?

WoomyNNYes

@Dpullam I haven't resumed Top Gun 2 yet.

Speaking of action movies on Netflix, have you seen...... RRR? It's kind of epic, delightfully over the top at times. Here's the trailer that convinced me to watch it. (the dance scene is pretty sick, too)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Dpullam

@WoomyNNYes That is a movie that was added on my list by accident at one point! I didn't know if it was a good movie or not. It looked kind of unique from the image but didn't know if it would hold my attention. I watched Kate on Netflix recently and loved that movie. Also watched Gunpowder Milkshake and like that one but didn't love it. It had a unique premise though.

WoomyNNYes

@Dpullam The movie was bit longer than I expected, but some of the scenes are so epic, I think it's a recommended experienced.

'Tendo liker

Dpullam

@WoomyNNYes Awesome! I appreciate the recommendation!

WoomyNNYes

@Dpullam What about Love, Death and Robots on Netflix? It's sci-fi. There's like 20 episodes, and I think most are action oriented? I think most episodes are like 20-30 minutes? Most those were very good. The one with the weird dancing bejeweled indian goddess (seen rising out of water in the trailer) was very cool, I thought. Tha'ts an action episode.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

Dpullam

@WoomyNNYes I have actually already watched a good chunk of those! I think one of my favorite ones, was one where there was a pirate ship that a monster below deck, and the events that unfolded were both a satisfying conclusion, as well as a grim end. That series is pretty fun to watch. I don't think there were any bad episodes that I have seen so far.

Edited on by Dpullam

WoomyNNYes

@Dpullam I mainly seek out science fiction stuff. Recently watched Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, Obi-Wan.

If you liked Austin Powers, The Pentaverate, by mike myers was decent, I thought. That's on Netflix. It feels like it was partly inspired by The Venture Brothers (from adult swim). I liked it.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

Dpullam

@WoomyNNYes I do enjoy both The Mandalorian and Bobo Fett. They were some of the more enjoyable Star Wars content in recent memory. And I am ashamed to say that I haven't watched any of the Austin Powers movies...

Edited on by Dpullam

jump

@Rambler I’ve just had a looksie at the trailer for Beasts Of The Southern Wild and it does look rather lovely. That’s another film to add to my watchlist.

@WoomyNNYes RRR is fudging fantastic.

It’s mental people keep complaining the only action/blockbusters that get released nowadays are Marvel or another franchise when there’s stuff like RRR which gets ignored.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

RR529

Went to the theatre last night & watched 65.

Adam Driver stars has the captain of a deep space exploratory vessel, and after his ship is damaged by an asteroid crash lands on an uncharted planet. Now he & a young girl (the only other survivor) must make their way to the one surviving escape pod while avoiding the planet's many dangerous alien life forms. Of course the big twist (present in all the marketing) is that this planet is Earth, 65 million years ago, and said alien life forms are dinosaurs.

It sets up a tense atmosphere that's effective in keeping you engaged in their struggle to survive, an an oppressive almost horror like vibe with a few jump scares (and of course there's a plot twist towards the end in relation to a significant historical event, that places an extra sense of urgency on the timing of their attempted escape). Some of the dinosaur designs seem a bit wonky (they gave the T-Rex longer arms than typically depicted with so it could be quadrupedal at times, and similarly there was a pack of creatures that were very much more lizard like than dino like. Most of the others were more recognizable though), it was a bit visually hard to see things during night scenes (though this was probably at least partially intentional due to the tone), and there's a specific geyser that comes into play during the climax in a contrive way (just for the fact that it shouldn't have been anywhere near their destination).

That said it was a decent watch, and it's nice to support something in theatres that's not an Uber big blockbuster.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Dpullam

@jump Your opinion on RRR makes me really want to dive in and see what all the fuss is about!

XandertheWise

watching the M3GAN movie for DVD tonight along with watching the VHS Revolution documentary on Tubi

XandertheWise

jump

@Dpullam Let me sell it to you.

The closest to another movie you’re likely to know is Mad Max Fury Road in the sense that right out of the gate it turns it up to eleven and then forgot it’s already past max but it keeps turning itself up even more.

The movie opens up with a disclaimer that no animals were harmed and the long list includes animals such as oxen, RRR will ruin American actions movies as RRR's musical scenes alone are so intense that they are more physically demanding and draining than the typical Marvel film let alone it's actual fight and stunt scenes which take it to yet another level, your face will hurt from smiling from start to finish of the film, the movie has fight scenes with hundreds of real non-CGI people in it, it’s the first ever Indian film to ever win an Oscar in the non-foreign film categories, the movie is more than a kinetic onslaught of the senses as what pulls the movie together is one of the greatest movie bromances ever and also despite being British and the movie really doesn’t like the British Empire I watch it instead of the Queen’s funeral to cheer myself up.

TL:DR the film is a wild ride. Here's the trailer but just make sure you have put the subtitles on.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Bunkerneath

@Dpullam RRR is AMAZING!!! Even my wife loved it, true it is quite long, but it's one hell of a ride.

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

RR529

The movies I watched at home over the weekend.

Black Adam (Amazon Prime rental)

Not terrible, but not particularly great either.

One thing I do think DC (generally) does better than Marvel is portray how strong the super powerful characters are, and while the fights aren't quite up to the standard of those in Man of Steel, they still tend to be a fun time (especially the slow-mo spectacle when he first wakes up).

Otherwise there's not much noteworthy about it, other than I guess there's at least one decent twist in the narrative. A bit overstuffed with new (to screen) heroes, and although Doctor Fate was cool I'm sure he'll mostly come off as an off brand Doctor Strange (yes, I know he came first in the comics). Just an average superhero movie.

Lupin III: Bye Bye Lady Liberty (Blu-Ray)

Special (I think the series' first made for TV movie, in fact) that sees Lupin & co get caught up in the schemes of a cult who controls the world from behind the scenes, who are looking for a diamond that is the key to unlocking a new type of computer virus that'll let them control all computer systems in the world.

Nothing must watch, but a nice time for fans of the franchise. Animation looks pretty good for a "made for TV" caliber movie, the gang briefly steals the Statue of Liberty, magical cult nonsense, all that good stuff.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Amazon Prime)

Maybe I should rewatch the first to see if my opinion of it holds up, but off the top of my head... I didn't care for this one as much.

Don't get me wrong, it still has some humorous moments & fun action (and the humor probably hits more often for it's younger intended audience), but it seems to get sillier the more Sonic universe characters it introduces (which is kinda unavoidable, but the more gamey it gets, the more it feels like it wasn't a good idea to make this live action/set in the real world in the first place). The whole subplot/humor surrounding the sister in law's wedding was a dud, too.

I'm probably overthinking what is ultimately a kid's film though, and it ultimately was fun (based on the end credits scene, I'm kinda looking forward to how much they're going to run this into the ground, lol).

Weird Science (Blu-Ray)

80's film that sees two high school dorks attempting to create a "digital girlfriend" via computer, so that they have something to practice talking to girls with, and somehow, impossibly actually bring her to life thanks to some light Frankenstein inspired elements. Despite the fact that she insist's she is theirs to do with what they want, they're clearly not man enough to handle her & thus she uses her (magical) abilities to help them open up & find their place amongst their peers (and get genuine, human, girlfriends).

It's 80's nonsense in the best way possible (cool but nonsensical computer abilities, an absolutely cracking theme song, blink & you'll miss it PG-13 nudity, etc). Nothing artful, but very fun if you're in the right mindset.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Dpullam

@Bunkerneath Very cool! I will be giving it a watch after such high praise!

Dpullam

@jump The movie looks absolutely bonkers! I will watch it if I have a chance this weekend!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic